Underworld Ascendant - Now November 15th

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
@Gamasutra Underworld Ascendant has been pushed back to November 15th.

CALABASAS, Calif. – August 20, 2018 – Underworld Ascendant, the fan-funded action RPG from independent game studio OtherSide Entertainment, co-founded by Paul Neurath (Ultima Underworld, Thief) and Warren Spector (Deus Ex, Epic Mickey), will descend onto Steam for PC Thursday, November 15, 2018 for $29.99 USD, published by 505 Games. A new trailer unveiled today at Gamescom invites players back to the memorable fantasy dungeon of the Stygian Abyss, introducing the game’s main antagonist Typhon, father of monsters and nemesis of Zeus:

In Underworld Ascendant, players assume the role of ‘The Ascendant,’ summoned to the Stygian Abyss by a mysterious figure – Cabirus. There, they learn that Typhon, a threat to both their worlds, can only be stopped by the player. To defeat Typhon, players must uncover secrets of what happened to the inhabitants of the Abyss, gain favour with their descendants and share their knowledge and strength with them to defeat Typhon.

In a throwback to game industry veterans’ Paul Neurath and Warren Spector’s celebrated past, Underworld Ascendant boasts a gameplay experience that encourages different playstyles and rewards experimentation in a dungeon environment that reacts dynamically to player choices. Players can choose from a variety of items, skills and abilities that allow them to experience the game in many different ways. They must think creatively to devise unique solutions to overcome the challenges they face in the Abyss, with each decision holding great opportunity and grave consequence.

Qualified press can be among the first to experience a new level in Underworld Ascendant with hands-on behind-closed-doors demos at Gamescom. To book an appointment, please email Racheal Caswell rcaswell@505games.com (North American inquiries) or William Capriata w.capriata@505games.it (European inquiries).

Underworld Ascendant will be published on Steam for PC on November 15, 2018 by 505 Games. Players can Wishlist the game now at: http://store.steampowered.com/app/692840

To learn more about Underworld Ascendant, please visit: www.underworldascendant.com.
Also Developer Diary 3 released yesterday:

More information.

I will buy this thing, I don't care.
And if it's a good game, I'll tell the world!

November of next year and I might have a little faith in the project again.

A tiny bit of faith restored after watching that trailer

I find the tone of the voice in the trailer awful. So childish. I have heard this type of tone so many times already. Was already like that in the 90s. This was fine at the time as games were a new thing. I am 63 year old now. Could we have something that does not give me the impression that I am 13-year old, that I have my level of testosterone growing and that I think that my life will be about fighting dragons to impress the princess at risk. I stopped playing one MMORPG just for that reason, the tone of the voice being such a ridiculous caricature. You know, THIS voice of the bad guy....The visual side of games is now amazing but obviously much is still needed to improve the voices. Game designers have to realize that the population of gamers is aging and that immersion is not just about visuals.

I find the tone of the voice in the trailer awful. So childish. I have heard this type of tone so many times already. Was already like that in the 90s. This was fine at the time as games were a new thing. I am 63 year old now. Could we have something that does not give me the impression that I am 13-year old, that I have my level of testosterone growing and that I think that my life will be about fighting dragons to impress the princess at risk. I stopped playing one MMORPG just for that reason, the tone of the voice being such a ridiculous caricature. You know, THIS voice of the bad guy….The visual side of games is now amazing but obviously much is still needed to improve the voices. Game designers have to realize that the population of gamers is aging and that immersion is not just about visuals.
I agree that's the tone is cheap but I think it has a certain charm.

I am 63 year old now.
I'm not that far behind you in age. But you must have noticed by now that although it was our generation that experienced the birth of the consumer-priced computer era, clearly, we are no longer the target market for much of anything anymore. Still, some gems materialize just enough to keep me busy.

Agreed, I much prefer a protagonist that is clearly an adult and of age, rather than some loathsome child. Sometimes the gameplay and content are enough that it doesn't matter, but not always.

Amusingly, the trailer made me go back and look at some of my favourite intro cinematics from some related classics. I can sense the kind of tone they were going for.

Scarily, I found that I could almost recite the Guardian's entire speech from U7 right along with him, so memorable that it is!
Ultima VII: The Black Gate https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfqOZlNxbfI
It might be a touch campy, but I love it! So much fun. Bill Johnson was excellent in this role.

Ultima Underworld: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gW-Eo2Y8PmQ
(Starring Dickie Garriot and C64 composer Martin Galway as Corwin!)
"Thy lies will have brought thee low!" :) Quoteable and funny too. When my friends and I were playing this back in '97 together and sharing our experiences, we'd often do our own interpretations of some of the voice acting as greetings. (What news, Corwin?)

On a more serious note, the release date moving back was predicted by many of the Otheriside forum members. I'll be keeping my expectations in check whilst hoping for the best - although the feeling that the game is more an underground Thief than a legitimate successor to UU keeps creeping through. We'll see soon enough!

Back
Top Bottom