I need a new KVM switch

P

pibbur

I need to replace my Aten petite KVM switch. I'm looking for a 4 port USB based swtich witn DVI monitor connections. The switch will be connected to PC's using WinXP, Windows 7 and Linux.

I have a dual monitor setup, but I'm not sure I want to connect both monitors to the thing, so I'll probably stay with a single monitor device, it depends a bit on cost. Screen resolution: up to 1920x1200.

I have been looking at this one: ATEN MasterView CS-1784 4P, but user reviews on the site I usually buy from is mixed, the main crtisizm being problems mouse/keyboard detection probems switching between PC's using XP and Vista. Which may not be a problem because I'm using XP and Win7.

Any recommendations? Aten switches are the ones most readily available here in Norway, it seems. Other brands may be more difficult to get.

I don't know if they ship internationally, but Monoprice has a lot of switches. I got a four port HDMI switch from them for around $30 and it works very well.

I bought the ATEN MasterView CS-1784 4P. I had some trouble getting it to work, but after

1) Connecting all the things that should be connected where they should be connected (one exception)
2) A couple of reboots
3) A few random actions which I'm not sure I can reproduce.

it works very well. None of the detections problems some people have complained about (mostly Vista related).

And since my monitors can switch between DVI and vga input, I also got my job laptop to work in 2 screen mode.

Did I say "Yay"?

Says pibbur who now ponders who he should donate the old vga only KVM to.

Back
Top Bottom