What Good RPG with interesting pet system?

Fable 2 will have a dog companion..heh its most what we know about the actual game, but Peter seems a bit excited of it =)
He could I think it's not something really developed in CRPG. :biggrin:

But one part isn't clear for me:
The game has no map, no other user interface on screen. Instead you will have to rely on the dog and what he sees and does.
That seems quite weird and in fact hard to understand what this mean exactly.

Fate has a pet as well ... but the system is just 'OK'.

I read more about the pet in Fable 2 (not Fate 2) and this will be a little miracle if it's not going to be another stupid follow the cursor thing.

When looking for The Witcher EE in shop I found Titan Quest at very low price so take it. Well that game is almost a crap. It's just a Diablo clone, so much that they should get a lawsuit for that. But the worse is to have to suffer all Diablo crap and not what's good, boring stuff like no save, death experience penalty, fights fights almost only that. And I didn't see any pet, well almost some class have some summon that are named pet. Ok it can be played and isn't a total crap but it's a shame to see unimaginative design like this. In comparison the unfinished game Dungeon Lords is just Brilliant.

EDIT: And Fate (not Fable!) seems good in comparison to Titan Quest!

EDIT2: Dam I wrote Fate 2 instead of Fable 2! And finally Titan Quest isn't so bad

Last edited:
I believe I remember there are some pet companion mods for Morrowind. I haven't tried them myself, but I believe they were fairly popular and pretty well done.

Like already mentioned: D2
and also Guild wars the ranger chars and necros

Well dig through Morrowind mods will be a big task. When I played some and seek among what was available to extract the best, I don't remember to have see anything good about pets.

Yes Diablo 2 had companion, no pets. Well eventually for most CRPG pet or companion it's the same.

Titan Quest pets (that are summon) works better than those is d2. The game isn't that bad finally, I wrote my very negative comment above a bit fast. :) For sure it's a clone and not as good than the original but it has some good points and once I found some more funny way to do fights I get more fun.

Pets in TQ are more like summon but persistent summons. To avoid companions/pets get lost the game teleport them when they are too far, so many game had pet following not working that well and should have do something like that. Also the summoning avoid have them die too often like most CRPG with pets and avoid have them stronger.

Overall in TQ the pets/companions are working well during fights. Without to control them you can manage it in different ways.

Well, if you want to go back... WAY back.... you can go get the latest version of Nethack. You get a dog or cat there that you need to keep fed and will fight for you (or with you if you leave it behind and it goes feral). The little buggar can haul things out of shops, too.

Well, if you want to go back... WAY back.... you can go get the latest version of Nethack. You get a dog or cat there that you need to keep fed and will fight for you (or with you if you leave it behind and it goes feral). The little buggar can haul things out of shops, too.
You are right, when I think pet it's more with details that I've seen in some ASCII games. I haven't played Nethack but I doubt I could play any rogue like game after to have play ADOM (even if I didn't finished it). I don't remember very well but I played Moria and Rogue and in one of them there was a pet with some interesting stuff.

And for the quote, Titan Quests and Fate was interesting quotes about pets.
That said, I have yet to see a CRPG that includes a good pet system. Some have very interesting point and eventually it's ADOM that cumulate the most stuff relative to pets but alas their gameplay value is weak just because they die quite easily. I played another rogue like game that replace ascii by some icons with also some good points about pets. For example you could find a way to use the pet to identify what's poisoned, something I haven't found in ADOM for example.

Ha well despite I'm highly suspicious about Fable 2, I have to admit that because of the pet thing as soon as it is ported to PC (or wii!!) I'll try it.

I'm sure there's something very good that is still to do about pets in CRPG.

There are graphic tiles for Nethack out there, in a similar fashion like for Dwarf Fortress.

Back
Top Bottom