Underworld Ascendant - Screenshots

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Worthplaying previewed Underworld Ascendant and showed off many screenshots.

We saw a slice of the gameplay, but it wasn't enough to get a feel for it. For combat, we saw some evil skeletons that I could thwack with a sword, but there was little feedback. It's unclear how the combat will function in the final game.

Likewise, the spells felt unfinished. For example, there's one spell that is a soul bind, which can either dominate enemies or chain them down, depending on whether they're spiritual or physical. The spell felt very iffy and difficult to use, and after some experimentation, I focused on the more reliable abilities instead. I had more luck with using fire, but the fire mechanic was still being refined, and setting something alight was an inconsistent process. It was fun to smash my way through a door rather than having to hunt for a key.

[...]
Thanks Farflame!

More information.

Another (albeit very short) preview that's not at all promising considering how soon the game is scheduled for release.

I had a bad feeling almost from the beginning, but I guess I was in denial for a while.

Not so much, anymore.

Even though I'll have this on Day 1 because I backed it, I don't think I'll be playing it anytime soon.

My hope is that Otherside will continue to tweak the game after release and that it'll eventually improve into what it should have been or at least close to it.

Even though I'll have this on Day 1 because I backed it, I don't think I'll be playing it anytime soon.

My hope is that Otherside will continue to tweak the game after release and that it'll eventually improve into what it should have been or at least close to it.

Yeah, that might be a wise approach. If it's successful enough, I guess they could keep adding to and improving it.

Not that I've ruled out the release version being good, I just don't think it's going to be anything like a proper UU game.

This game is an impending trainwreck, and it's too late to hit the brakes.

Then lets speed the thing up, and watch a better crash?

Okay, something positive… the artstyle is beginning to look more distinctive

450523.jpg

450519.jpg

This preview supplies nothing new; why are the attitude so much more negative ?

For combat, we saw some evil skeletons that I could thwack with a sword, but there was little feedback. It's unclear how the combat will function in the final game.

Likewise, the spells felt unfinished. For example, there's one spell that is a soul bind, which can either dominate enemies or chain them down, depending on whether they're spiritual or physical. The spell felt very iffy and difficult to use, and after some experimentation, I focused on the more reliable abilities instead.

This is not the kind of thing you want to hear about a game that's two months away from release - and especially not an immersive sim that's supposed to be a spiritual successor to one of the most technologically innovative titles of gaming history.

In fact, if I wasn't such a big fan of Looking Glass - I would probably realise that such comments are extremely indicative of an impending disaster, from the perspective of someone who backed this, hoping it would be worthy of their past work.

I didn't back this game to get a cute little indie inferior version of the ancient past. I backed this because Neurath specifically said they would be taking the genre forward - and I trusted him.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if this project receives more than the usual standard amount of patches and updates after release. This is another one that I'm quite keen on, but I also have no issue waiting until it is in a fully complete state before I jump in to play.

Back
Top Bottom