Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker Question/Tips & Tricks Thread

Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Yep, you always pick very beautiful chicks. :wideeyed: I would say maybe the angelic-looking one could also be a Magus - sword in one hand and some magic in the other. I heard there's a lot of micromanagement with that class though but I wouldn't know, I hardly use Regongar. You could be the first here to really master the Magus class and let us know how it is! :)

Decided on Aasimar empyreal sorceress lol. Oh, I'm going to get smashed in early games lol

Nice. I'm not familiar with that class but it sounds cool, lol. Good luck!

Oh, me neither. But it sounded like something between sorcerer and cleric/paladin - seems to utilise WIS rather than CHA for spells, and has some holy powers, thought it's a good fit for my Aasimar :D It will be tough though, I have to have decent amount of WIS (spells), CHA (persuasion), and INT (arcana knowledge check). I may regret this lol.

Did some reading and I'm still tossing between:
Paladin 1/Sorcerer 6/Eldritch Knight 10
Sorcerer 4/Cleric of your deity 3/Mystic Theurge 10

I think both sounds really fun! :D

Oh, me neither. But it sounded like something between sorcerer and cleric/paladin - seems to utilise WIS rather than CHA for spells, and has some holy powers, thought it's a good fit for my Aasimar :D It will be tough though, I have to have decent amount of WIS (spells), CHA (persuasion), and INT (arcana knowledge check). I may regret this lol.

Sounds great! I have no idea what Eldritch Knight or Mystic Theurge are about, lol. Definitely sounds like interesting builds no matter which way you go, though.

The problem with mystic theurges is the slow spell level progression; they are basically lagging behind everyone. Imo a pure sorceress will do much better, though I was planning on making mine a dwarf. They also get a bonus to wisdom, and a dwarven sorceress is unusual enough to be interesting. ;-)

Also, I think empyreals get lore religion as a class skill? So you could use them for this, and give knowledge arcana to someone else.

Eldritch Knight: Battle mage. They miss 1x level of spell casting (their first level), and then gain full spell casting after that, in addition to good BAB and feat progression.

Theurge: Divine + Arcane caster. They gain spell levels as if they're progressing both at the same time.

If you're going for the latter, the Empyreal Sorcerer is indeed the right class to pick because it uses Wisdom as its main casting stat. Combine that with a Cleric, who also uses Wisdom, and you focus almost entirely on that.

If you're going for an Eldritch Knight, I would re-consider the spreading of your stats, as you will need decent Constitution + either Dexterity (Weapon Finesse) or Strength, or you will never be able to actually hit anything.

Edit: It is also worth keeping in mind that both of these options mainly gain power from mid-to-high levels.

Yeah I realised I probably shouldn't go with the EK route with empyreal. That's ok, I just really feel like playing with this character as RP purpose, don't mind lowering difficulty at time if I struggle too much.

Thinking of rolling another class for normal difficulty or higher run, but I just can't RP evil or lawful character which does kinda restrict my choice :/

I made a LotR party and my Gandalf is an Aasimar empyreal sorcerer. Not a very powerful Sorcerer version but he got Bless as a bonus spell which is useful, my party Cleric can equip other lvl 1 spells.
But the healing abilities are not very useful. Cool thing is that he gets natural SR at higher levels making him very resistant to enemy spells.

Empyreal definitely sounds better as support, I'm a little worried how I will fare at one on one combat situations like soul eaters in Vordakai's tomb lol.

I played a (plain) Sorcerer now, and it was mostly fine. Just keep a metamagic wand of empowering or maximizing ready and use the three charges for the highest level damage spells you can cast at the time.

Empyreal definitely sounds better as support, I'm a little worried how I will fare at one on one combat situations like soul eaters in Vordakai's tomb lol.
They are very slow. Just Haste yourself and kite them.

I played a (plain) Sorcerer now, and it was mostly fine.
Same here. In my current (first) playthrough I'm a plain human sorcerer. The soul eaters weren't a major problem (2 or 3 reloads).

Just keep a metamagic wand of empowering or maximizing ready and use the three charges for the highest level damage spells you can cast at the time.
I haven't used rods til now. Can they somehow be recharged?

Same here. In my current (first) playthrough I'm a plain human sorcerer. The soul eaters weren't a major problem (2 or 3 reloads).

I haven't used rods til now. Can they somehow be recharged?
There are two types of rods: Rods with specific spells or with feats/abilities. The latter actually don't run out. They typically have X charges per day, and then they recharge. They are very powerful. Some even offer permanent armor class, damage buffs, +enchant to arrows etc, but only if you first equip them, and then activate them via belt or ability use.

The latter actually don't run out. They typically have X charges per day, and then they recharge. They are very powerful.
Dude, that's a deal breaker! I have tons of metamagic rods which I'm sure will come in handy in Chapter 6. :D

Are you using the default companions or do you group with some mercenary?

Getting a hang bit by bit on the system I am really underwhelmed by most of them. I would have preferred to use mercenaries on a pure efficient side but I did not want to loose their quests/stories.

I'm playing with default companions:
MC: Human, 17 Sorcerer (Gold Dragon bloodline)
Valerie: 7 Fighter / 10 Stalwart Defender
Harrim: 17 Cleric
Amiri: 17 Barbarian
Octavia: 1 Rogue / 6 Wizard / 10 Arcane Trickster
Ekundayo: 17 Ranger

(I've realized just now that my sorcerer doesn't get level 9 spells. :( )

If you want to alter the companions there a respec tool on NexusMod. (I just used it to remove a rogue level for Octavia after I had learned that I can get the 2d6 sneak attack prerequisite by selecting a feat.)

Are you using the default companions or do you group with some mercenary?

Getting a hang bit by bit on the system I am really underwhelmed by most of them. I would have preferred to use mercenaries on a pure efficient side but I did not want to loose their quests/stories.
Mostly played with the default companions the first time I played it. It's entirely possible to see all their side quests despite not bringing them along, however, so all you really miss is a bit of banter.

This time, I'm going with a much more optimized party. Be warned that getting new mercenaries later on costs a ton of gold. They're only cheap in the start.

Thinking of rolling another class for normal difficulty or higher run, but I just can't RP evil or lawful character which does kinda restrict my choice :/
It's the opposite for me. As soon as I've read Gyronna's description I knew I have to roll a cleric of The Angry Hag at some point. And now that tieflings are going to be a playable race… :devil:

I have been reading this thread since day one and have picked up more of the story then I new from the first 3 chapters. While not really a tip or trick (well maybe a tip for other developers) one thing I think they did right is the story.

This game shows you can have an engrossing cool story while having a relatively non-liner game with an open-ended player character. They seem to do this by focusing less on the player (who still has a big role as the baron/king and general adventurer) and more on the story of the Stolen Land and some key characters in it.

Think this is a great approach and wish some other games did this more - as it combines, for me at least, some of my favorite game elements - companions, good fun story, freedom to create your own character, and lots to do and explore with fun combat and build options.

Back
Top Bottom