Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous - Kickstarter Updates

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Redglyph spotted the Kickstarter updates 84 and 85 for Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous:

The Architect of the Worldwound

Hello Crusaders!

We are hoping you are enjoying the beta version of Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous. If you want to share your thoughts with the Owlcat team, please join our discord, where we have a special chat in the beta section, just for your feedback! We'd love to read what you think.

But now let's talk about someone you may have met in the game already. The most hated person in all Mendev, one of the most powerful and dangerous spellcasters on Golarion, a half-fiend responsible for countless deaths - Areelu Vorlesh, the Architect of the Worldwound.

Despite Areelu's infamy, little is actually known about her. Some say that back in Sarkoris she was a powerful mage, who was arrested by Sarkorian witch hunters for practicing arcane magic, and thrown into the prison meant only for the most dangerous of casters - the Threshold. There Areelu somehow managed to open the rift between Golarion and the Abyss which became eventually known as the Worldwound, and initiated the demonic invasion of Golarion.

Now whenever something sinister happens, such as a crucial crusader victory suddenly turning into the ashes of a crushing defeat - Areelu can be seen on the battlefield. What is her plan? What is she trying to achieve?

Will you be the one to answer the questions that have been gnawing at the crusaders for almost a hundred of years?

Watch our new trailer, which you helped create during our Community Quest, and meet Areelu Vorlesh, the Architect of the Worldwound.

Dead in Sixty Seconds Contest

Hello Crusaders!

Some of you have already finished the second beta, some even managed to do it a couple of times. And we got curious: who managed to gather the strongest party? Who is the deadliest and the fastest Commander? So we decided to start a little contest for people who love to go wild with their builds. We are hoping you like soft little Owlcats, because we are ready to part with our plushies to reward the most skilled gamers! Now welcome -

Dead in Sixty Seconds* contest

Please stop reading now if you don't want any spoilers.

In this contest the deadliest and the fastest players win. The nominations are the following:

1. The battle against Jeslyn in the end of chapter 1
  2. The battle against Minagho and Staunton in the end of chapter 2
  3. The battle against Darrazand in chapter 3
  4. The battle against Hepzamirah in chapter 4
  5. The highest AC before the battle against Hepzamirah in chapter 4
Rules:

• difficulty level must be Core
  • you must play in the real time with pause mode
  • you must record the battle with the battle log visible and submit it without cuts. For the nomination #5 a screenshot and a save before the battle is enough
  • you must defeat the enemy as quickly as possible. Please keep this in mind when you will be using the pause. The only exception is the nomination #5 - we will judge the highest AC.
  • you must save your game-history.txt file after you finish recording and send it to us with your submission
  • make a save before the battle and send us the link to download it
  • no mods can be used. Cheaters will be added to the Wall of Shame and disqualified
  • mercenaries can't be used at all, you can play solo or with the companions
  • Deadline: June the 30th, 0:00 Moscow time
How to submit your entry:

Email us to team@owlcatgames.com from the email your account on our site was created, with the subject "Dead in Sixty Seconds contest - nomination X", where X is the number from 1 to 5, depending on which fight you are participating in. You can participate in multiple nominations, but if you show the highest results in more than 1 nomination, you will only get one prize, and another contestant will get the prize for another nomination.

Your submission must include:

1) subject "Dead in Sixty Seconds contest - nomination X", where X is the nomination number

2) a link to the video of the fight. Please don't send links to a whole stream, make a clip of the fight you want to show, starting with the rolling of the initiative and ending with the last enemy falling dead (or exploding). For nomination 5 please attach the screenshot of your AC with a tooltip to demonstrate how you got it.

3) a link to a saved game before the fight

4) game-history.txt file that was created during the fight you've recorded. If the file doesn't match the video, your submission will be disqualified. The file is located at:
C:\Users\...\AppData\LocalLow\Owlcat Games\Pathfinder Wrath Of The Righteous

If more than one contestant shows similar results, the winner will be selected by the jury of Owlcat Games members.

[...]
More information.

For those who played the beta2, they have a channel on Discord to leave any feedback, impressions, or suggestions, and it will close at the end of next week.

A contest for people who are playing an unreleased game. What a joke.

Why not have a contest? A lot of people enjoy the meta game and finding out how to (ab)use the systems. Fun for those that want it and no harm to the rest. And possibly they might find too broken systems which need to be patched.

Owlcat are very active and they organize a lot of events of all sorts, did you participate to the Community Quest, for example? They just released the trailer which is the outcome of that event.

Besides, there's a lot of activity in the beta at the moment so it makes sense to me. I'd rather have that than a dev that stays in his corner.

To me it's absurd, especially when access to the unfinished product is on a paywall. Feels like a sect that does a raffle for those who tithed, or gives a medal to the one who tithed most.

I understand that some of you have reasons to think differently.

Well, if that's bothering you, I can stop sending news on this game until it's released.

No, not at all.

It's good to have news, but then we should be able to give opinions on it, right? Else you can lock the thread to prevent comments of people who don't share your opinion.

No, not at all.
I was just teasing you :)

I must admit that the price of the beta for non-backers is something a bit out there with this game, so I understand the resentment. But others here are playing it and they may be interested to know, why make them feel bad about it?

Maybe there's an idea: @Myrthos; got one key from the last press conference they did, I don't know if he or anyone else has already used it. There are still bugs but it's getting in good shape, so if he's not using it I'm happy to organize a quick giveaway for anyone willing to participate to the beta. It's his though, so it's up to him to decide. I hope he won't mind my proposing this.

Im not paying for unfinished games and I dont play unfinished games. But per my understanding, early access is reasonable way to test product before release, especially for smaller companies without budget for internal quality control department.

The fact that some companies exploit EA status and the fact that some customers fail to understand what EA status means doesnt change that EA is actually useful process and both developer and customer benefit from it if used properly.

We are now discussing the moralities behind EA/paid alpha practices, and honestly I didn't intend to derail the thread. To underline that I'll say that I'm glad we have news about PF:WotR, and I'm glad they have an active community.

It's "rewarding" people who pay or play most an unfinished product behind a paywall what I find conflicting with what I find ethical, but it is just my opinion. In any other industry, they pay you to test their products, not take your money and then give you a biscuit for being the most loyal of the cattle. It's sect-like behaviour, again, in my own scrwed up code of ethical behaviour.

That said, I look forward to the release of the game and playing it fully as I'm sure I will have an absolute blast.

I used to find that strange practice. Even crowdfunding, because it's exactly the same, you invest more at the beginning then you get small rewards. My thoughts were more like, if I invest in a development, I'm in and ready to share losses or benefits. It struck me most with Star Citizen, in which people sometimes pour hundreds or more than a thousand dollars just to get ships and hangars. And get no share of the benefits later, unlike normal investors do.

I came to see that, within reasonable boundaries, it helps develop new products we couldn't have otherwise, and that there is a long-term benefit. It's patronage. To be clear, I'm excluding any abuse like Star Citizen, if people are willing to throw insane amounts, that's their problem.

I think - it's pure speculation, that Owlcat put a price on the beta as a motivation filter (for the beta you can order, the beta granted to backers is not in this discussion). Otherwise it would be as unmanageable as BG3, with a zillion people posting nonsense all the time. I have mixed feeling about it, but if that works to get a better product, and if people are willing to help, who am I to say it's wrong.

As for the bit of news, if people are participating to the beta one way or the other, and if Owlcat thank them now and then to show their gratitude (actually it's just this time, the other events were for everyone), I don't see any harm. It's how it works everywhere. That being said, I've followed them a bit and I'm sure they do it mostly for fun like the scarf contest last time; they could simply have asked build tests in the beta channel and people would have done it.

Back
Top Bottom