Umbra - Interview @ RPG Codex

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Codex veteran Zed interviewed Umbra's Game Director and Lead Programmer Daniel Dolui:
Umbra is a hack-n-slash action RPG from the frenchies over at SolarFall Games. RPG Codex would normally not bother too much with a game of this sort, but Umbra is an unusually interesting game. At least to me, and that's all that matters (haah!).
A snippet:
Aside from the graphics – what sets Umbra apart from the legions of other action RPGs?

The Apocalyptic Form is the feature I am the most excited about. Apocalyptic Form is a customizable ultimate power every player will get. It allows you to turn into a personalized Avatar of Destruction for some time. It is built from up to three “Apocalyptic Upgrade” options, unlocked by your character according to your play style. Apocalyptic Upgrade can very different, for example, getting horns on your head to rush and knock down every enemies, or getting wings to make huge leap and access unreachable areas, having a third hand to equip with a new weapon and fight, or having an Aura of Death raising undead everywhere you walk. I can’t wait to see the combos that players will find and how they will manage to get the most out of it!

The freedom of development, allowing you to pick any skill from any specialization will also bring a lot of interest to me. I always wanted to be a barbarian with a huge mace walking in the middle of my zombie horde!

Our crafting module is also really cool, and quite a bit different from other games. We hope that people who don’t enjoy crafting will actually like ours, since it is a quite addictive and rewarding skill based mini-game.

Elemental Effect Interaction, managing the effects of Lightning / Fire / Water / Ice is also a very cool addition to the gameplay and will bring tons a great combos to the game.​
More information.

I am not a particular fan of aRPG but I had to back it. The environment usage looks so nice!!

CryEngine appears to be a pretty decent ARPG engine. They have some inexpensive tiers, too. $20 for the game and soundtrack, $25 for all that and beta access.

I might be in!

The current Kickstarter is running well.
Trending against 234% of the initial goal.

Well, its sad when such diablo-style action game goes up to 234% , while Guido Henkel's dungeon (both underground and above ground) project wasnt successfull (and it had nice graphics too). Games like that are rare and needs KS more than games like Umbra (but I dont criticise devs of Umbra… its perfectly ok to go on KS).

Back
Top Bottom