Planescape: Torment EE - Review @ HG

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
HardcoreGamer has reviewed Planescape Torment: Enhanced Edition:

Review: Planescape: Torment: Enhanced Edition

When it was first released, the market wasn’t exactly kind to Black Isle Studios’ Planescape: Torment. A PC exclusive RPG, it used the Infinity Engine to create the experience in a time when the market was filled with all sorts of quality titles based on the same, making it seem like “another one of those.” Coming out right before 1999’s holiday season didn’t help. People likely to buy it for themselves were more concerned with affording gifts for others and the cover, featuring a blue guy with his skin falling off, didn’t exactly scream “holiday cheer.” The original release’s underwhelming performance is an abject shame, as the game itself was exemplary. Fortunately, it’s gained quite a following over the years, leading to Beamdog finally turning their remastering talents towards the title. With their solid work in updating the Baldur’s Gate and Icewind Dale titles, Planescape is in good hands.

[...]

Closing Comments:

Picked nits aside, there is no better time to explore the world of Planescape with this enhanced edition. The content of the game has aged extremely well, providing almost endless hours of top notch exploration, dialogue and story. Beamdog has done a great job with getting it running better on modern machines while not going overboard. It ran without a hitch on my humble, underpowered laptop. As a must play for returning fans and newcomers alike, there is no real reason to skip Planescape: Torment: Enhanced Edition. This is PC RPG gaming done right.

Score: 4.5/5
More information.

Playing the other torment right and now and i am having a blast.
Might give this game a retry in the near future.

If you have never played Planescape: Torment and even slightly like Torment you really need to play it. I am one of those that put it on a pedestal of being one of the most well written and interesting RPGs of all time. I still quote Morte regularly. I'm contemplating the EE version myself but seriously need to play the recent one and need to be realistic with my time.

As I recall, PS:T was one of the Infinity games that did not get many mods because it was hard to mod for back in the day. Can only hope they fixed the combat somehow which always sucked but review seems to indicate its still bad. Also would be good if they ported container highlighting with tab key which I think was not in original.

I played through PST EE twice recently. Still an excellent game, though combat is still a bit sluggish compared to the other Infinity Engine games.

Back
Top Bottom