The TV Series discussion thread

As I said, any discussion is meaningless once opinions are declared as facts.

So, I wasn't being pedantic.

vurt was being unreasonable.

Facts? You mean this line ?

"In fact there was very little "fan service", in Rogue One there was at least one very obvious fan service which was cringy, nothing like that here."

But the "in fact" there is a figure of speech no?

No opinions are declared as facts, i said that I for a fact did not see any fan service and that's my opinion (all it can be). Not a fact as in "others can't have opinions too", that's not how i argue.

I won't ask again for a scene, because i don't think i will be provided by one. But it would be interesting to understand what other people (perhaps not total SW fans like myself) sees as fan service. Maybe i'm blind to it, or i would disagree, i can not know until i know what it is.

It seems you're only arguing like this (not the first time) because its very convenient, it does not need an actual argument to the discussion at hand only a "we can't have opinions. vurt man bad!" which isn't very fair tbh. When it has gone this far we will most likely not get back to the discussion of SW but it will be discussion about the discussion and it will be personal, how i phrase stuff or whatever. It's kind of lame and i doubt its of much interest to the people on this forum. Get back to the topic instead.

No opinions are declared as facts, i said that I for a fact did not see any fan service and that's my opinion

No, you said in fact there was very little fan service, which is entirely different.

In fact there was very little "fan service", in Rogue One there was at least one very obvious fan service which was cringy, nothing like that here.

Fair enough, it seems I have been using "in fact" wrong then :) I use "in fact" as as substitute for "actually" and I have seen many other native English speakers do that as well. It doesn't always mean "I am declaring a fact or truth" etc.

But anyway, I still like to know what you think were fan service as most of those went pass my head :)

Edit: This sort give some credence to my use of "in fact"

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/grammar/british-grammar/in-fact

Fair enough, it seems I have been using "in fact" wrong then :) I use "in fact" as as substitute for "actually" and I have seen many other native English speakers do that as well. It doesn't always mean "I am declaring a fact or truth" etc.

But anyway, I still like to know what you think were fan service as most of those went pass my head :)

Edit: This sort give some credence to my use of "in fact"

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/grammar/british-grammar/in-fact

If you said, "Actually, there is no fan service" - you'd be saying the same thing.

Here:

actually
adverb
UK /ˈæk.tʃu.ə.li/ US /ˈæk.tʃu.ə.li/
actually adverb (IN FACT)

A2
in fact or really

How come a Dane has to educate people like this? English is not my native language!

If you want to state an opinion, then PLEASE don't use words like "actually" or "in fact" - because that's something you use exclusively to emphasize the supposed truth of a claim or statement.

Just say: "There's no fan service."

Even though that's more than an opinion, it's well within the norm - and so there's no need to say "In my opinion" first.

But anyway, I still like to know what you think were fan service as most of those went pass my head

Are you sure you really care?

I only saw the first 20 minutes, mind you.

Here's a few I registered in memory:

First scene takes place in a cantina, with an emphasis on having all the familiar SW creatures. The bad-ass "hero" cuts off limbs in said cantina.

The "mafia-type" person who hires the Mandalorian just happens to use the same weird "microphone/camera" in the door as Jabba the Hut. In SW - that's only seen in that one place.

Same boss just happens to have the same ultra-silly "big box on feet" answer the door as the one we all know and love from the first Star Wars. Really, that guy just happens to have the same model of ultra implausible droid walking around?

There's seemingly no reason to carbon freeze the blue guy - and it seems that wasn't the plan at first. But then it's all conveniently set up - as if the Mandalorian knew he would try to escape, so the audience could get their Boba Fett throwback scene.

Fan service, to me, is about giving people the things they expect - but which don't actually serve the story or have a story-related reason to exist.

Again, it was 100% safe Star Wars - with zero interesting things in it.

I don't know what happened in the last ~18 minutes, though. Maybe something entirely fresh?

Last edited:
No, you said in fact there was very little fan service, which is entirely different.

In fact there was very little "fan service", in Rogue One there was at least one very obvious fan service which was cringy, nothing like that here.

Why would you believe i'm saying you can't have opinions if i'm asking you for your opinion about fan service? It would not make any kind of sense.

It's my opinion, that's all there is to it, and all it can be. But you're not interested in the topic because it will get you nowhere, so you pick out a word instead. It's not very subtle what you are doing.

Didn't you say you didn't even see the whole thing, how is the topic even this interesting to you?

If you said, "Actually, there is no fan service" - you'd be saying the same thing.

Here:

actually
adverb
UK /ˈæk.tʃu.ə.li/ US /ˈæk.tʃu.ə.li/
actually adverb (IN FACT)

A2
in fact or really

Thats my point. When I see such statements, I don't give them much weight as you seem to be giving them. To me its an "informal" statement and not something to be declared as "truth" therefore end of discussion. This could be because my English is not good or I am used to other people using in an informal way.

Lets leave this point aside as vurt says he didn't mean it that way so the whole thing is simple misunderstanding on the internet!

So what are your examples? :)

Why would you believe i'm saying you can't have opinions if i'm asking you for your opinion about fan service? It would not make any kind of sense.

It's my opinion, that's all there is to it, and all it can be. But you're not interested in the topic because it will get you nowhere, so you pick out a word instead. It's not very subtle what you are doing.

Didn't you say you didn't even see the whole thing, how is the topic even this interesting to you?

Why I believe what you say? I don't know. I guess I think that's the best approach to any exchange.

Of course, if you then start saying you didn't actually say what you very clearly DID say - that makes you a liar, too.

You mean, apart from responding to the people who insist on responding to me?

I would have thought that was plenty.

Thanks for the examples. Now we are getting somewhere. I agree that it's very safe star wars indeed. And yes some scenes that are quite familiar, like a cantina fight, mandalorian using carbonite freezing.. That IS fan service in the sense that this does please the fans. i agree, but i would like to argue that there's good fan service and there's bad fan service. The fan service i do NOT like is where its so obvious it does not serve the plot and they just hope to get the "wooooo! it's him, i remember him!" from the crowd, it's lame and it doesn't work. I think studios are getting more conscious about it, thankfully.

The door droid makes sense, why would it not be massed produced? i think SW needs more familiarity, not less. If everything is mostly new vehicles (too many of these, imo, i would have preferred to see the Mandalorian using a Slave-1 type of ship), all new species, all new tech, then it really does not seem like a very coherent universe.

Again, a fight at a cantina is similar to a bar fight in a western, it just belongs and its not BAD fan service to have it. It's like saying it's shitty fan service to see Rambo shooting up bad guys.

There's obviously not any weight to my "in fact", there, straight from the horses mouth, now we can continue.

Fair enough, you didn't mean what you said - that happens.

I gave lost my examples of details I consider exclusively there for fan service.

I answer his question not because I'm terribly interested in the topic - but because I think answering people when they ask you a question can be fruitful - and is a reasonable way to behave.

Usually :)

Thanks for the examples. Now we are getting somewhere. I agree that it's very safe star wars indeed. And yes some scenes that are quite familiar, like a cantina fight, mandalorian using carbonite freezing.. That IS fan service in the sense that this does please the fans. i agree, but i would like to argue that there's good fan service and there's bad fan service. The fan service i do NOT like is where its so obvious it does not serve the plot and they just hope to get the "wooooo! it's him, i remember him!" from the crowd, it's lame and it doesn't work. I think studios are getting more conscious about it, thankfully.

The door droid makes sense, why would it not be massed produced? i think SW needs more familiarity, not less. If everything is mostly new vehicles (too many of these, imo, i would have preferred to see the Mandalorian using a Slave-1 type of ship), all new species etc, all new tech, then it really does not seem like a very coherent universe.

Please note that I haven't said fan service is a bad thing.

I merely said it was full of fan service, and not much else.

But that's not a fact - that's just my opinion.

It wasn't a "bad" show or a terrible show. It was obviously very well produced and it looked good.

It's just not for me - and I happen to think Star Wars CAN be and COULD be something much more than that.

But it's not like they're obligated to please me.

I'm happy that fans are happy. That's cool.

As for the "droid door" - you can argue that all of those scenes or details belong there, because "why not".

My point is that they COULD have been more original and not used all those overly familiar props - just to spice it up, or have a fresh take.

It's not so much each individual scene that bothers me - it's the combined impression of "ultra safe".

Again, not "bad" or "terrible" - just super boring.

Here's a few I registered in memory:

First scene takes place in a cantina, with an emphasis on having all the familiar SW creatures. The bad-ass "hero" cuts off limbs in said cantina.

The "mafia-type" person who hires the Mandalorian just happens to use the same weird "microphone/camera" in the door as Jabba the Hut. In SW - that's only seen in that one place.

Same boss just happens to have the same ultra-silly "big box on feet" answer the door as the one we all know and love from the first Star Wars. Really, that guy just happens to have the same model of ultra implausible droid walking around?

There's seemingly no reason to carbon freeze the blue guy - and it seems that wasn't the plan at first. But then it's all conveniently set up - as if the Mandalorian knew he would try to escape, so the audience could get their Boba Fett throwback scene.

Fan service, to me, is about giving people the things they expect - but which don't actually serve the story or have a story-related reason to exist.

Again, it was 100% safe Star Wars - with zero interesting things in it.

I don't know what happened in the last ~18 minutes, though. Maybe something entirely fresh?

I can argue those things are fan service. However I don't really think of them as cringe worthy fan service or something which takes away from the story etc. For example, there has to be first scene so why can't it be in the cantina etc :)

What I really mean is, given the current state of modern SW, these things minor annoyance etc!

I can argue those things are fan service. However I don't really think of them as cringe worthy fan service or something which takes away from the story etc. For example, there has to be first scene so why can't it be in the cantina etc :)

I didn't say they were cringe worthy :)

Also, I didn't say they took away from the story, I said they added NOTHING to the story BEYOND fan service.

First scene could be anywhere, that's true. So why pick the most iconic place in SW - and then have the bad ass hero cut limbs off, just like one of the most iconic scenes in the original SW, which - coincidentally - also took place in the very same kind of cantina?

Oh, I know.

Fan service.

What I really mean is, given the current state of modern SW, these things minor annoyance etc!

Current state? Well, it's certainly better than it was in between 1999 and 2005.

I really, really liked Last Jedi, for instance.

That at least tried to do something new and it wasn't predictable.

But we all like different things for different reasons.

First scene could be anywhere, that's true. So why pick the most iconic place in SW - and then have the bad ass hero cut limbs off, just like one of the most iconic scenes in the original SW?

They shouldn't switch stuff out just to be different or because it has been done before. It's ill advice, it's way more important that it makes sense, and here it made a lot of sense that it's the place for the meet-up and the fight.

It is generic and very similar to a western where the saloon is usually the one place where criminals and bounty hunters clashes. No one would argue for a Western "why are they fighting in a saloon, just like in that previous movie?"

It's much about creating a certain atmosphere too.

They shouldn't switch stuff out just to be different or because it has been done before, that it makes sense is more important and here it made a lot of sense.

It is generic and very similar to a western where the saloon is usually the one place where criminals and bounty hunters clashes. No one would argue for a Western "why are they fighting in a saloon, just like in that previous movie?"

It's much about creating a certain atmosphere too.

Again, it's the frequency of the overly familiar that I had a problem with.

But I'm not here to tell you it's wrong to enjoy the familiar like that.

As JDR said, some people enjoy seeing the same things over and over. I guess that's why they keep remaking Iron Man?

Those animated cartoons make billions and billions of dollars.

I don't know. I can only tell you what my opinion of the first 20 minutes of the show was.

To each his own.

That said, I don't know why we even bother to discuss a new show after a single episode, really.

Everyone is scrambling to rate this - and it has hardly begun.

Maybe when all the episodes have been released, we can talk about how familiar it is - and how fresh it is.

Well, if I actually bother to see it :)

Back
Top Bottom