Rear Projection LCD Big Screen TV Question

TheMadGamer

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor
This question is for anyone who may know a lot about TVs. I have a 60" Sony XBR® Grand WEGA™ Rear Projection Television, model KDF-60XBR950.

I recently moved and damaged the TV. When I turn it on, it looks like neon-blue sand specs have been splattered across the TV screen. It looks a lot like when you get a 'dead pixel' on a laptop computer, except that there are hundreds of these specs all over the TV screen, primarily in the center of the viewing area radiating outward.

My question is, can this be repaired? If so, would the repair be so expensive as to not be worth it?

I live out in the boonies and I'd hate to have a repair man come out to my house for 75 dollars just to tell me it can't be repaired or that it can be repaired but to repair it will cost the same as just buying a new TV.

Thanks for any help.

I live out in the boonies and I'd hate to have a repair man come out to my house for 75 dollars just to tell me it can't be repaired or that it can be repaired but to repair it will cost the same as just buying a new TV.

Thanks for any help.

Let me get this straight… you have a US$ 4K+ TV but you are too cheap to have someone check it out for US$ 75? Are you not just a mad gamer but really just generally mad or something? :biggrin:

Well, seriously, if I were you I'd contact Sony and ask them to propose a course of action. Tell them how much you loved this TV and how much it would break your heart if this one was broken beyond repair. Make them prove their consumer friendliness.

As for the problem it sounds like an electronics issue that is related to the signal or the conversion or creation of it. The big question is where is the signal getting distorted? Before it is reaching the internal converter or after? Have you tried a different cable? Tried different modes like analogue TV, digital TV, HDMI input and so on? Do the blue pixels stay on the screen at all times in all modes?

I do not think that the display is broken beyond repair. Replacing the panel or the light would be pretty expensive but if my guess at an electronics issue is right then it's probably just going to take a bit of soldering in the right place.

To give you some hope here's a little anecdotal piece: At my company (I work in security) we got several big screens for surveillance. One of them recently had a very similar problem with blotches of color (IIRC it was blue, too) all over the screen. We sent it in for repair and they returned the same display back in working order one day. I don't know what exactly it was that they fixed and I don't know how expensive it was or if it was covered by the warranty but they were able to repair it so I think there's hope for your Sony. Good luck! :)

Let me get this straight… you have a US$ 4K+ TV but you are too cheap to have someone check it out for US$ 75? Are you not just a mad gamer but really just generally mad or something? :biggrin:

Come to think of it, you're right. The money tree in my backyard this year gave a good crop. I'll just go pluck one of the hundreds of thousand dollar bills from it and call the repair guy. ;)

Well, seriously, if I were you I'd contact Sony and ask them to propose a course of action. Tell them how much you loved this TV and how much it would break your heart if this one was broken beyond repair. Make them prove their consumer friendliness.

I'll give it a try. But I'm not really hoping to get much help from Sony. But worth a shot.

As for the problem it sounds like an electronics issue that is related to the signal or the conversion or creation of it. The big question is where is the signal getting distorted? Before it is reaching the internal converter or after? Have you tried a different cable? Tried different modes like analogue TV, digital TV, HDMI input and so on? Do the blue pixels stay on the screen at all times in all modes?

Yes, the specs are there in all the modes, I tried all of them. They really look like dead pixels you'd see on a laptop PC.

I have had nightmares of breaking my 52" sony hdtv. Even thinking about moving gives me the shivers. Im sure to hire companies with insurance to handle it when I do move. I even saved the original box where it came in for extra protection allthough Im propapbly gonna throw it away to save space (I had to kick it in to fit it in the cellar).

In the least you could just phone any tv repair shop incase they can make any guesses from the sympthoms.I know cases where the entire lcd glass was broken (more like exploded by self-compustion - was sharp 52" i think) but the tv was still fixed.

Surely they can change many components (including the glass) if they have spares. ITs not like your tv is entirely fried. It cant be totally hopeless.

I'll give it a try. But I'm not really hoping to get much help from Sony. But worth a shot.
[/QUOTE

Not trying to discourage you by any means, but of all the companies I have dealt with over the years, the one who seems to care the least about its customers is Sony. I hope you have good luck with them. I really do.

Back
Top Bottom