Two Worlds II - Thoughts / First Impressions

- Now I am at a front of a mine - and several people in front of the mine have nothing to say at all. So it's a mixed bag.

- Alchemy & crafting can be done everywhere out of the backpack (no animation, in zero time)

- drinking healing potions: no animation, effect works in zero time, even in combat

+ nice lockpicking minigame

Been playing a couple hours. One warning. With my system at least I had to uninstall the version of Physx that came with the last Nvidia drivers and download and install the the version on the Nvidia website which seems to be an older version. Until I did I was crashing every 5 minutes or so. No problems since though.

Anyhow so far so good. The english voiceovers are a huge improvement over the first game. The magic and fighting systems both seem interesting and I'm slowly getting drawn into the story. I have high hopes for this one.

I had that PhysX issue too (ATI 5850 here) - I had to uninstall the PhysX drivers and install the set that come with Two Worlds II.

Is there any way to find your horse if you leave him somewhere? Whistling doesn't work beyond a short distance :( I've already lost the first one and I'd grown pretty attached.

I had a similar problem with Two Worlds I already.

Which made me "park" them only in towns. Or at least close to teleporters.

In the first bigger city the quest density becomes higher.
More choices & consequences -> it's an action rpg, but one of the better ones.

The german voices are really good. I like the "badass" attitude of the hero :gorath:

Wow, this has been good year for RPG lovers. Now I got bunch of games in my "Games To Be Played"-buffer. Arcania, Drakensang 2, Fallout New Vegas and now Two Worlds 2. And all of them have been ranked "pretty good" or better. :D

The german voices are really good. I like the "badass" attitude of the hero :gorath:

Then he ain't a hero in the "traditional" sense. ;)

But I also had this feeling with Two Worlds I. ;)

Wow, this has been good year for RPG lovers. Now I got bunch of games in my "Games To Be Played"-buffer. Arcania, Drakensang 2, Fallout New Vegas and now Two Worlds 2. And all of them have been ranked "pretty good" or better. :D

Exception: Arcania

Hey Hidden, I don't know if you've visited the Zuzzex forums or not, but there are numerous posts all lamenting the length of the game. Most people complaining that they ran through the campaign in a little over 20 hours, but I've spent probably that much time in the Savannah without even going to the big city there. Apparently the big island is mostly off limits for the single player game as well. Any comments?

I'm guessing that no exclamation marks over NPC heads has caused a massive amount of confusion for people. NPC radar symbols blink if they have a quest, so it's all the same (if you pay attention).

I'm 12 hours in the game, still in chapter 1, level 21, and have explored only the area around Hatmandor - I think there's much more to do.

Everyone can rush a game, even Morrowind.

I'm around the same stage - I don't know if it holds up, but there's been plenty to do so far. I do think it's a questionable design choice to have quest npcs/chests/areas become available only when the quest is picked up, even if you'd just been exploring in that area.

Overall having a very good time... so far.

Hey Hidden, I don't know if you've visited the Zuzzex forums or not, but there are numerous posts all lamenting the length of the game. Most people complaining that they ran through the campaign in a little over 20 hours, but I've spent probably that much time in the Savannah without even going to the big city there. Apparently the big island is mostly off limits for the single player game as well. Any comments?

I'm guessing that no exclamation marks over NPC heads has caused a massive amount of confusion for people. NPC radar symbols blink if they have a quest, so it's all the same (if you pay attention).

I heard that too..i'm wondering if they are keeping some of the game back for future DLC? Shame if they do.

I heard that too..i'm wondering if they are keeping some of the game back for future DLC? Shame if they do.

A lot of people are saying it's an area set aside for multiplayer. There seems to be some reason to believe that.

I guess DLC would be a possibility, too.

No official comment from developers, though, so it's hard to say for sure.

The more I play this, the more I like it.

30+ hours into a very good RPG. Combat, magic and crafting make some nice improvements over most recent offerings. The story is good, but does not really engage as much as I would hope. There are some implementation issues, typos, and odd oversights, but the concept the designers seem to have delivered to the programmers is excellent. Very few, and relatively minor, problems. Biggest issue for me is too much hand-holding for my personal taste, but many RPGers like that. Large world — wide open empty spaces in parts (scattered animals) but also many hidden towns, camps, etc. Chapter two opened up a new island, but I still have a few areas and quests to finish on the starting one. It is very easy to underestimate the number of quests hidden out there. And there is a learning curve on magic and crafting — would be easy for someone to miss all the possibilities and potential there.

Huge world, non-linear, and a bazillion (often creative) quests. In chapter two your choices start to make a difference — I had a girl commit suicide because of a bad decision. Someone posted they finished this in 20 or so hours — I simply can't buy that. After 30+ hours I am just into chapter II because of all the side quests. (No clue yet how many chapters.) No way someone in 20 hours without taking the time to level on sidequest experience could face chapter II baddies, let alone what I expect is coming for the finale. They must mean 20 hours as shown in the savegame date stamp -- it seems to run about 1/2 to 1/3 of elapsed playtime.

Hopefully a patch is sone to come on some graphics and movement issues. And I still get far too many crashes.

I probably will start writing my full review tomorrow. I had wanted to finish it first, but the game is far longer than I expected. Even with the issues, this is so close to the balance of what I personally like in an RPG that I am in danger of losing objectivity and being too positive in the review.

I wondered about that game time clock too. It does seem a bit low…

I saw on the Zuxxez forums that the FOV is adjsutable. Hit "`" then type engine.fov 75 for example. They had a a few other graphic tweaks, but that one was the one that made most difference to me…

Back
Top Bottom