The TV Series discussion thread

I only read the first few books many years ago so I'm not worried about things being different from the books. As long as it's good and entertaining, keep it coming!

I bet HBO just got the faintest sketches of the future plot from George. They've shown they can do pretty well making stuff up on their own. But the more they diverge from the books the more cliche I'm finding the show. I am liking best the parts where they stick to the books. The whole Dorne part was silly and weak, I thought. And it wasn't like that at all in the books. Not that it was particularly strong storytelling, either...

Last edited:
Maguires "Wicked" novel had a vastly different ending than the play. Both were satisfying. In a sense it might be better for the series to end first and then Martin can use the show as a rough draft and adjust accordingly.

Anyone watch 'Mr Robot', or 'Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell'?

Liked the book a lot — are they doing it justice?

Woah, I didn't at all. Way too slow paced. It only started getting good in the final 100 pages. I was rather bored the rest of the time.

There's a show based on it?

Watching Maron on Netflix & almost done with season 2. The series overall is funny & entertaining, but like Silicon Valley, won't have you rolling on the floor as someone said previously. Unfortunately season 2 has had some weird existential, overly introspective, more serious episodes I didn't care for. That said, I'm interested in checking out some of Marc Maron's podcasts.

I enjoy shows where protagonists play fictional versions of themselves (loved Seinfeld (from 'The Contest' to the end, with the exception of the utterly disappointing series finale) and Curb Your Enthusiasm) so I intend to check out Louie next. I always got the impression Maron was a poor-man's version of Louie.

I checked out Silicon Valley and it isn't bad, but decided on watching Halt and Catch Fire.

Just saw the first 3 episodes of Fargo. Great stuff. I'm really impressed. Billy Bob Thornton was great, and so was Martin Freeman. And it really keeps in tone with the Cohen brothers movie. And from what I read, it will be similar to True Detective in that they'll change plot/cast with every season? Interesting new format for tv series. It's similar to having a new mini-series around similar plots.

OMG what were you waiting for?
I refused to watch overhyped Cheers actor in something whatever detective show, went on Fargo instead and IMO, it was the #1 series in 2014.

Sure, there were other great mustwatch shows out there, Penny Dreadful for example, but only Fargo was a love letter to filmmaking.
A masterpiece I couldn't ever praise enough.

Neon Genesis Evangelion*: In general did not really like it. The start was so so, it did seem to get very interesting mid-season. Exploring the origin of the angels, the nature of Eva's and so on. But the final episodes was some philosophical mess, maybe I'm not smart enough to grasp what they were trying to do. I rather wished they stayed with the action and sci-fi.

New season of Knights of Sidonia* in July, now that is something I look forward to.

* both are series

But the final episodes was some philosophical mess, maybe I'm not smart enough to grasp what they were trying to do.
That's exactly what makes that series so different and so impossible to determine if it's a work by a bunch of madmen or a genuine masterpiece that dares to challenge survival of the fittest theory. :)
I loved that stuff by the way, but would never suggest Evangelion as an entry to anime.

Heard that China banned Death Note recently so if someone still didn't watch it, do me a favor and pick it on Funimation, Netflix, Hulu, Crunchyroll or some other anime streaming site, it's always available somewhere for free.
And it's one of my 3 mustwatch animes and now I love it even more when some country believes it's so disturbing and the population are idiots so it needs a censoring.

We've finished watching the first six episodes of Sense Eight, and we both are enjoying it. It's a little Lost, a little Orphan Black (first season), and a whole lot that refuses to be categorized. The following episodes rarely pick up where the previous left off, forcing you to keep in mind how seriously juxtaposed they all can be, and that is a strength and testament to the sheer will that drives this program. Not for the faint if rampant orgies will scare you!

I skipped Lost although everyone else watched it, but if you're saying there is something similar to Orphan Black out there, I'm in.
Never heard about that show though.

No matter. Added on my to watch list as soon as it's available here.

Watched some of Sense8.

Not for me. It feels like Bioware and an army of Gaiders wrote it.

Characters are one-dimensional in-your-face caricatures of real people - and it's pointlessly soaked in LGBT social commentary. Absolutely irrelevant for what seems to be the story.

I know one of the Wachowski brothers decided to switch his bits out with other bits, but I really, really don't care about that when watching a sci-fi show about extreme empathic connections.

Beyond that, it does have potential - and the concept is sort of interesting. I'd watch it if not for the nauseating preaching and pointless sex scenes every two minutes.

New season of Knights of Sidonia* in July, now that is something I look forward to.

* both are series

The subbed version is already out, I have seen the first 5. Pretty good so far.

I skipped Lost although everyone else watched it, but if you're saying there is something similar to Orphan Black out there, I'm in.
Never heard about that show though.

No matter. Added on my to watch list as soon as it's available here.
Humans just started today. a new British SciFy series. Those are better then US ones 90% of the time.

Humans just started today. a new British SciFy series. Those are better then US ones 90% of the time.

Maybe because I am from UK but these British science fictions shows tend to look and feel like other drams from UK so I don't find them "other wordy" enough to suspend disbelieve. The recent UK show i really enjoyed was Orphan Black but I guess it was shot in Canada?

Watched "Better call Saul" season 1 now. I think it's well done. Good character progression and storytelling expecially about Jimmy and Mike. You can only like them :) Both have great moments. My wife likes this more than Breaking Bad. I loved it, but I think the Walter progression from good to evil "because he lived then and was good at it" was a bit too… don't know.. simple. Best scene in BB: the whole ending of one episode.. the music.… when Walt loses it after he learned that Ted received is money. Then phone ringing... Very intense. Funniest scene went like - Walt: "Which chemical element" Jesse: "Ahhhhh… Wire!". ROOOTFL
Maybe I go on with Fargo. People recommended it to me. Watched the movie, but cannot remember.

Back
Top Bottom