Dark Souls III - Stress Test

Eh, crazy sun worshipers and D'artagnan is a more violatile combination than C4 strapped on Palestinian belly dancer. :p
But seriously, I think you interpreted half of comments he said here a bit drastically…DS, most of the time isn't a game that relies on fastest reflexes, but your build and type of enemy can improve on that substantially. Played DmC recently and there is no comparison when it comes to flow of combos and controls…DS isn't designed to cater to that type of game play anyway.
Eh, lore and storytelling? When it comes to characterization and telling a complete story it suffers horribly, but a great way to engage a player through your own world discovery and building online community. I think people here give it a bit more credit than it deserves, but no doubt about it complementing the game extremely well. Japs tend to over design pretty much anything and it shows here…still have no idea what that cross dressing male chick had a beef with me the last time around, but there you have it.
Praise the sun and all that. :)

I´d highly recommend getting Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin over the predecessor.
DS2 plays just fine with k/m once you rebind some keys, without the need for fan patches.
Moreover, it provides quite notably more interesting and varied experience for spell casters (more and more varied spells, weapons/shields with spellcasting abilities).
It´s also a bit more straightforward in terms of providing you with spellcasting arsenal, whereas DS1 locks some of the crucial vendors in places that are rather easily missed on an unspoiled first-time playthrough.

DS2 SotFS is also a lot bigger than DS1 and levelling comes at a bit faster pace which means you can quite comfortably branch out into another spell school if you feel like.

==

While I´m at it, even though I don´t want to get into the "twitch-or-not" debate per se, I think it bears pointing out that Souls games support multiple play styles and these can rather substantially differ in terms of required/encouraged "twitchiness".
Characters built towards dodging with little protection certainly tend to be more demanding on fast reflexes than heavily armored ones liberally relying on shields, characters utilizing fast weapons (especially when geared towards high counter damage) tend to play twitchier than characters relying on slow heavy hitting stuff, ranged characters (spellcasters mostly, though in DS2 bow-only characters are viable too) are in general less demanding on reflexes than melee ones, etc.

Anyone who wants to have own reflexes challenged can play the way which should facilitate it, but for anyone who necessarily doesn´t there are various ways of mitigation, after all the combat in these games isn´t just action - it comes with the RPG aspect too :) (which, among other things, includes building own character towards the intended play style - trying to play a "high-twitch" character with equip load causing slow roll or slow stamina regeneration is not a particularly good idea and so on).

I suspect that at least partially some of the twitch-or-not debates stem from ignoring/forgetting the above. Obviously everyone has different thresholds for what is or isn´t reflex-demanding, but that´s besides my point.

Good post, DeepO.

Your right I didn't take build in to account. An error on my part. I supposed if you pumped vitality And strength you could turtle and fat roll everything which would require much less reflexes.

I always play a thief type. So I usually have low HP, little to no armor and I used the bandit dagger for most of the game. I build for dex weapons and max iframes. This style relies on parry and riposte, lots of rolling and strafing and then backstabs.

When you go in to fight an O&S or a manus type boss with this build your main defense is rolling because you have no poise so block is pretty much an instant stun and it doesn't take many hits to kill you.

So your right build would definitely affect reflex requirements.

Back
Top Bottom