Kickstarter - Now a Benefit Corporation

All that info was unnecessary, because really the bottom line is this… Kickstarter is giving away 5% of its profits to charity and essentially bragging about it. The reality is that Kickstarter users would be better off if the 5% went to the guys they're actually backing, ie: the whole reason they visited the site. So it seems like a dumb thing to brag about.

Not at all. There are two very good reasons to make this announcement: Kickstarter is looking for additional investment, and Kickstarter intends to go public within the next few years. I'd be surprised if both of these things aren't true.

Overall, your post suggests you're not all that familiar with the crowdfunding scene or any of the economics here. Kickstarter's backer-facing infrastructure (and third-party ecosystem) and user-facing portals are more mature than most other platforms out there, and Kickstarter's fees to backers are roughly equal to those of other platforms (higher than IndieGoGo's basic campaign structure, but the same as others like Fundly and Crowdrise). And not only is Kickstarter's fee structure competitive with other crowdfunding platforms (despite offering much greater reach) - it's also vastly lower than the margin taken by other internet-enabled service connectors.

But hey, for the sake of argument, let's dig into the economics of the rest of your argument.

Even if you assume that the 5% is pure margin - which is ridiculous - that amounts to less than 40 bps (0.40%) taken from projector creators. Since the 5% we're discussing is a fraction of Kickstarter's bottom-line profit rather than its percentage take from each project, let's assume an 80% net margin - which is insanely high even for a platform like this, but fine. That gives us a decrease of about 30 bps from the actual project.

In other words, even with aggressive assumptions about Kickstarter's margin from each project, donating 5% in company profits means a 0.32% reduction in the funding received by each project creator.

Nobody questioned that they can charge whatever cut they want and are free to spend their money however they like.

Except that you just questioned that. You're apparently not doing the math, but you seem to believe you have a better solution for Kickstarter's business model that involves taking lower margin from project creators.

That said, their website is pretty basic and bad and the only reason anyone goes there is because the name is well-known. (Which is why stuff like fig.co is coming into being, I guess)

The primary motivations for Fig seem to be "active curation by a central committee of learned citizens" and "equity investment via crowdfunding". The US now allows the latter, but Kickstarter has announced that it won't be supporting this (for arguably good reasons, since equity investment in an information-poor environment is a terrible, terrible idea). Fwiw, of course, Fig won't allow it either…except for wealthy individuals with net worth > $1M.

Except that you just questioned that. You're apparently not doing the math, but you seem to believe you have a better solution for Kickstarter's business model that involves taking lower margin from project creators.
Man, you just don't get it. I don't know what else to tell you. Nothing you're arguing really has anything to do with my point.

Again, bottom line, It just seems silly to brag about how you're giving away backers' money to RANDOM CHARITIES when your whole business model revolves around trying to get their money to the PROJECT CREATORS.

I understand it's a trivial amount (yes I can do the math too!) Doesn't affect my point. Obviously you don't agree with my point. But bringing up a bunch of irrelevant stuff isn't going to change my mind on it. Really feels more like you just want to hijack my off-the-cuff opinion to show off your knowledge of the "crowdfunding scene". Have at it.

I understand it's a trivial amount (yes I can do the math too!) Doesn't affect my point. Obviously you don't agree with my point. But bringing up a bunch of irrelevant stuff isn't going to change my mind on it. Really feels more like you just want to hijack my off-the-cuff opinion to show off your knowledge of the "crowdfunding scene". Have at it.

I wasn't "showing off" anything, and most of my message was responding to the overall discussion, not just to you.

That said…your point was this:

Yep, instead of giving away 5% of their profits they should just reduce their cut by the equivalent amount so more money goes to the project creators.

By "equivalent amount", I guess you meant "about 0.30%". In that case, yes, you can do the math. I suspect most readers would've assumed you meant 5%, however. And others in this thread more clearly conflated KS's margin with project creators' funding, and my numbers discussion was aimed at all of that - not just at you. Across gaming sites, reactions to this KS announcement have mostly been unmoored from even basic knowledge of finance and KS's business model, and I wanted to add that context.

Regardless, the industry data I offered don't strike me as irrelevant. (Well, obviously. ;) ) You're suggesting that Kickstarter should reduce its margin so that it's actually cheaper than most competing crowdsourcing platforms, even tho it currently delivers far more reach than those platforms. It's fine to suggest that, but I think the context is helpful.

By "equivalent amount", I guess you meant "about 0.30%". In that case, yes, you can do the math.
Yep, which is exactly why I used the words "equivalent amount". Meaning an equivalent dollar amount, nowhere near the same percentage obviously.

I suspect most readers would've assumed you meant 5%, however.
Maybe, seems silly to me though. Doesn't take much thought to understand.

It makes a lot of sense. Kickstarter's business model relies on goodwill, and whatever can motivate backers that their hefty pledge isn't just going to transaction fees is good for kickstarter projects and for kickstarter itself.

How is KS a platform for systemic inequality?

They let anyone use it with not many rules and certainly not those that promote system inequality. /QUOTE]
The same could be stated in other cases of systemic inequality KS claim to fight.
If you succeed or not is your problem then, not KSs.
KS set up a system and when it displays systemic inequality, it turned in a problem as soon as KS put that claim on fighting systemic inequality.

Before being concerned by systemic inequality generated by others, KS should get concerned by systemic inequality they generate themselves.

Of course, if they were doing that, it could not be stated that KS does not care about systemic inequality and is concerned about setting up a front to cover their systemic inequality.

No different from drugs dealers etc Some donate to rehab clinics. They are concerned about getting support from all the guys who live from rehabilitating drug addicts.
That is what they buy.

Back
Top Bottom