RPGWatch @ Gamescom - Kingdom Come: Deliverance

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
The final two games I will be writing about from my Gamescom visit will be published today. To start with here is Kingdom Come: Deliverance.

In contrast to any of the other visits I had at Gamescom, there wasn't much of an introduction to Kingdom Come: Deliverance. We were shown the trailer and after that were provided with a hands-on demo of the game.

The PC I was playing with had the option to use a keyboard with mouse or a controller. I used the keyboard and started up a new game, which started with a cut-scene where at the end of it, I was to join some soldiers investigating a raid. So, I headed out of the building to find my horse, that apparently would be there. And it was, waiting with the other soldiers. They mounted and so did I, at least I did after a few tries. Moving in this game is not point and click. The mouse is used for other things than that. You have to use your keyboard to move. After fiddling around for some time, I do get the impression that the game is built for using a controller and that the keyboard and mouse buttons are mapped to functions that you can also use on the controller. The game does not seem to have a different UI either, depending on what you are using. Anyway, I switched to a controller, as to me it felt that playing the game in that way was much more comfortable. But that could be just me.
More information.

And here is Kingdom Come: Deliverance. Hoping it's exploration is as good as it looks.

I'm looking forward to this game as well. Too bad that its another game built for a controller though. Right now there are more games I am interested in that don't need a controller to play well, and that means me investing money in those games rather than a controller.

I wouldn't rule out that it is just me though, who has an issue with the keyboard controls :)

I backed this game the very first day on KS because PC.
And I'll be the first one to thumb it down on Steam if it shifted from PC to cheap autoaim gadgetery. Hell I'm even prepared to do the thing I'm disgusted with - register on metacritic and troll zero, in such case.

Thanks Myrthos.
I'm not sure about this one. If it focusses on exploration and gameplay over cinematics and cut-scenes etc I might be interested.... but I wouldn't wamt to play a first person game with a controller. I actually quite like controllers for third person games but first person is K&M for me.
I'll wait for reviews and views from Watchers.

Oh well I will wait in this case to read some reviews, no more insta-buy for this one. I am not planning to buy a controller any time soon.

I backed this game the very first day on KS because PC.
And I'll be the first one to thumb it down on Steam if it shifted from PC to cheap autoaim gadgetery. Hell I'm even prepared to do the thing I'm disgusted with - register on metacritic and troll zero, in such case.
Myrthos report doesn't sound like auto-aim. ;)

The game features a compass at the top in the screen, so a hint like "they went to the North-East" or something like that, makes it not too difficult to find the bandits, although the forest was big and it did take some searching (afterwards I found out that I completely missed the hint about a blood trail leading to and in the forest).

That sounds like a good system. NPCs dropping hints and general directions and then it's up to you to find the quest point. I much prefer this to say Witcher 3 where you just had to follow Geralts "super sense" everywhere. It made me not pay attention to the environment.

But a follow-up question: So there was no quest compass, optional or otherwise, that told you exactly where to go? If so, yay!

I don't mind the general hint system but the problem i frequently run into with such games is that if I stop for a week or two when I picked it back up i can't get the hint back (frequently games like this don't record the hint in any sort of log). I suppose I could keep notes on paper but given how long I sometime have to drop games to do other stuff even that can be annoying.

I didn't check the log myself, but I have been told the information should be there.

If there was a quest compass, I completely missed it :)

And I wouldn't specify that combat as auto-aim.

Hm. I had high hopes but you managed by writing just a couple of lines to temper my enthusiasm. :)
So I'll wait for reviews too.

Myrthos report doesn't sound like auto-aim. ;)
And I wouldn't specify that combat as auto-aim.

Something got lost in translation. I've written "cheap autoaim gadgetery" to describe the sole purpose of mushrooms hardware, not any game's combat systems.
On PC we have aimbot cheats for free (those who lack skill, don't look at me, I'm not using that stuff), we don't need to pay for mushrooms - again, I'm not talking about any combat system in particular.

What I'm saying to this developer is: go pro or go home. When I backed KS project, I was led to believe I'm backing a PC game, not some pisspoor controls port from Nintendo gameboy.
Will see the direction they've taken when the game gets released and react appropriately as promised in previous post.

Last edited:
Bizzare preview. Controls are standard WSAD and mouse stuff from any other first person game ever. Game controls just as well with both keyboard and mouse and controller from what I tried.

I didn't say it wasn't controllable by mouse and keyboard. I just found it so much easier to control it using a controller. The combat, using the mouse to select the direction to hit, I found to be much trickier than with a controller.
I'm sure with trying it long enough using a mouse I will find it to be usable as well, but it was already usable from the start using a controller. Even one of the guys from Warhorse mentioned it was easier with a controller.

Even one of the guys from Warhorse mentioned it was easier with a controller.
Does that guy know that stating something obvious like you need to buy an additional hardware to play this game doesn't mean the game, excuse me, the port is acceptable on PC.

The solution is either we write Durante to fix Warhorse's bullshit like he did in other pisspoor controls games or Warhorse fixes it themselves.
I wonder which case of these two will make better PR.
How to contact Durante one might ask. Easy. ToCS section on Steam.

All we need now is the released game to know for sure if Warhorse lied when on Kickstarter they promised to deliver a PC game.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1294225970/kingdom-come-deliverance/faqs
Controls-wise, the game is designed separately for console controller and for keyboard & mouse gaming. Of course, you can still use your favorite game controller on PC or on SteamBox. But if you decide to use mouse and keyboard, you will control the game just like other first-person games on the market: you will be able to use your mouse in the UI, there will be no controller hints and controls will be fully customizable. Some control elements may be slightly different on keyboard & mouse than they are on a gamepad but neither control method will be generally superior to the other.
When I pledged, I believed this.

Like I said twice in the preview and in this thread. It could definitely be just me who has an issue with it and the issue I have is mostly with combat.

It's you. But I trust you more than I trust "pro" soldtheirsoultoDestiny sites.

The game version you saw is not the final one and I'm (as usual?) panicking over some beta. I was bitten once already (Earthlock), I know this is not the same developer, but… ;)

Well, I certainly would not encourage anyone not to play the game, just because I feel, especially combat, works better with a controller than a keyboard. I have the feeling there is some decent exploring to do with C&C that easily compensates this.

Back
Top Bottom