Dragon Age - Image Comparison @ Gamespot

aries100

SasqWatch
Gamespot has compared the images from the PC version, the PS3 version and the Xbox 360 version. The conclusion is that the PC version looks the best while the 360 version looks not so great compared to both the PS3 version and the PC version.
If we leave it to the consoles, the PlayStation 3 version looks cleaner because of its higher resolution textures and the increased depth the textures get from bump mapping. The Xbox 360 version looks a little worse, but it was definitely tweaked to run smoother. Unsurprisingly, the PC version runs and looks much better if you have a decent machine.
More information.

To be honest I think the graphics are pretty average (playing PC).
I've seen brown dungeons, brown walls, brown swamps, brown buildings, brown trees and people wearing brown clothes.

That's not the point of the article which was to say that the brown dungeons you speak of, they look better on PC than on PS3 or Xbox.

I think the differences are not so great, after all. The biggest things I find are the washed out colours on the Xbox 360 version and the low-res textures. The PC definitely does a lot better there, but I would have expected more from the PC version. I can't find those missing pixel shaders neither. Oh well, all the better for me, I guess. I'm even learning to live with the slightly less flexible controller scheme. :)

As for the brown, yeah well. It's not Super Mario Bros. is it? :p It almost seems like some games choose this limited palette so that they have a more detailed colour range (not wasting precious video memory on those stupid greens, blues and yellows). But then again, it's not 1985 anymore. :p

Just checked the necklace and cloths of the old woman in the third/fourth picture. Its all messed up in console pictures but in PC is totally opposite looking good and crispy. The pictures are taken with same resolution btw.

I must admit that I did not expect the graphics for the Xbox 360 to be as bad they were. They are clearly not as good as the PS3 or those in the PC version.

And yes, the point of this comparison is to say that the brown pictures look way better on the PC version than on the PS3 - and definetely on the 360 version.

And yes, the point of this comparison is to say that the brown pictures look way better on the PC version than on the PS3 - and definetely on the 360 version.

Except for the washed out colours (which seem to plague every console game compared to PC) and the low-res textures, what exactly made them look way better?*

(I can kind of live with blurry textures as opposed to less geometry, polygons or graphical effects.)

Except for the washed out colours (which seem to plague every console game compared to PC) and the low-res textures, what exactly made them look way better?*

I have always liked detailed crispy textures. For me that alone is a big plus. I would never buy the console version over pc one after checking out those pictures.

I must admit that I did not expect the graphics for the Xbox 360 to be as bad they were. They are clearly not as good as the PS3 or those in the PC version.

Well supposedly the Xbox version runs smoother than the PS3, so there's sort of a trade off.

I can see the difference in the direct comparison, but what difference does that really make when you play the game and don't have a direct comparison? So Lol at all the concole- and PC-fanboys in the comments over there...

I can see the difference in the direct comparison, but what difference does that really make when you play the game and don't have a direct comparison? So Lol at all the concole- and PC-fanboys in the comments over there…

It makes the difference whether I choose to buy it for my xbox360 or my PC. I usually buy for console unless PC has som significant advantages (and no disadvantages).

It makes the difference whether I choose to buy it for my xbox360 or my PC. I usually buy for console unless PC has som significant advantages (and no disadvantages).

Well in this case it's a no-brainer for the PC version:
- Cheaper
- Better graphics
- Access to user created content
- Ability to create user created content
- Better controls
- Strategic battle view

Disadvantage:
- Harder to play on a couch.

XBox360
008.jpg

PC
008_2.jpg

The difference with the textures is pretty remarkable, but unfortunately they didn't take all the possible features of PC into use. Like DX10.

Back
Top Bottom