Cyberpunk 2077 - Interview @Gamingbolt

Damn. I haven't been to Japan, but I've seen a few videos on it...work, work, work.
Seriously depressing.

Based on my living in Japan for five years and past research with JRPGs.

Link - https://www.giantbomb.com/forums/ge...take-on-childhood-or-why-are-jrpg-cha-444139/

Sure adults plays games in Japan but they are not the target. They even have various derogatory names for adults who love anime and play games.

Also there was a paper about this in Mechademia.
For China a new study was done by Tencent.

Link - https://www.scmp.com/tech/china-tec...on-why-chinas-teens-go-online-games-publisher

Interesting. Anyway, any relevant sources I managed to google (addmitedly only gave it like 15 min) show not only that "sure adults plays games at JP" but that gamers below 20 years age represent hardly 20% of the ttl market. We can ponder on reasons why JP production settings and characters are what they are, but I can hardly imagine that the reason is simply that adults are not target. Those developers know well who is their audience and if they decide to make game with childish setting, the reason for that is elsewhere, IMHO.

By the way I really like to switch from western production to JRPGs now and then. And for me personally the playful setting of these games represent freedom and ability to admit its just a game. In contrast to western production which often seems to struggle hard pretending how its all adult, serious business.

Off-topic.. but..

Wow, South Korea beats Japan (and China) lol!

So top 5 are basically all Asian countries… then why can't they make decent games :(
Because IQ has nothing to do with imagination? :biggrin:

So top 5 are basically all Asian countries… then why can't they make decent games :(

Mass markets (their absence in fact) and the measure for crap.

Stardew Vallew was copied from japanese product designs. It only received praise because it was marketed through the US mass market.

Better products (that are actually games) were made before and after. Despite that, well, they do not appear as decent as SV that was a massive hit on the US market.

Interesting. Anyway, any relevant sources I managed to google (addmitedly only gave it like 15 min) show not only that "sure adults plays games at JP" but that gamers below 20 years age represent hardly 20% of the ttl market. We can ponder on reasons why JP production settings and characters are what they are, but I can hardly imagine that the reason is simply that adults are not target. Those developers know well who is their audience and if they decide to make game with childish setting, the reason for that is elsewhere, IMHO.

By the way I really like to switch from western production to JRPGs now and then. And for me personally the playful setting of these games represent freedom and ability to admit its just a game. In contrast to western production which often seems to struggle hard pretending how its all adult, serious business.

Players can not accept the demographics behind the vid product industry. Same song is sung about products made in the west.

Players who can not take that a mass consumption item is not meant for them come up with denial.

Back
Top Bottom