PnP RPG settings/systems that need CRPGs

I thought of the Dark Sun setting, but it seems a little too over powered, everyone is super strong/tough, a normal being from Dark Sun could go to the Forgotten Realms setting and be a god.

There has actually already been 2 games set in the Dark Sun campaign setting. Shattered Lands & Wake of the Ravager (well 3 actually, but one was an early MMO)

There was also one game in the spelljammer setting - it was really, really bad.

Edit:

I also would love a hard scify RPG - without FTL-Travel, but with ships that can nearly fly with lightspeed, and with cyropreservation and transhumanism.

Yet another Edit:

I would love to see a Fantasy Setting wich considers the "special circumstances" of traditional non-human races:

If Elves are immortal, what would that mean for the different generations ? You would have to live with your great-great-grandfather who knew humans when they first crawled down from the trees ? There are nearly no female Dwarves… would that mean that only the most successful dwarves would get a bride ? would they live in a matriarchy ? would women be the most valuable possesion, sold for inconceivable amounts of money ? Orcs are mindlessly aggressiv… how can they still thrive ?

Last edited:
I always thought Gamma World would function well as a computer game. The ruleset is pretty easy, and I think would translate well.

Gamma World would make a fun game, as long as they didn't try to make it too serious. It's all about the crazy!

Fenris, how about a new Traveler game? It's got FTL, but it otherwise pretty hard sci-fi. We've had a couple of games based on that already.

As for other races, that's a bigger problem with fantasy in general. Most fantasy races are either cardboard cutouts clinging to a stereotype (your elves and dwarves) or are too ridiculous to actually exist (drow, most orcs). That's why the Forgotten Realms just doesn't hold up as a serious setting. Other games and settings have played around with the races to give them a bit more depth, but it's in home-brew stuff that things get really interesting.

I was reading about one person's setting where there simply were no female dwarves. The males were greedy because they wanted to save up to carve their offspring out of stone, using the gold and jewels and stuff to give them life, or something. It kept the greedy, only-see-males dwarf stereotype, but came up with an explanation that worked and added flavor to the world.

I'm familiar with both Dark Sun games, I really liked Shattered Lands from what I can remember, but I think it was so buggy I never finished it.

I loved Shattered Lands and finished it a lot of times with lots of different builds; it had a few bugs, but it was manageable, but Wake of the Ravager, boy that game was a mess… I gave up after countless hours. SSI had a horrible publisher in germany - they translated all the games and introduced even more bugs :(

Menigal, I remember that I tried the Traveller Games, even the PnP Game back in the Days - I didn't like it at all - also the DM was really bad, even for teenager standards, that might have spoiled me for the Computer Games, maybe I should try again…

Edit:
There is a reason why I dislike FTL Travel in SciFy - as far as I understand, you would need so much energy for FTL Travel, that all other Problems of humanity have to be resolved before - if we pull off this stunt, humanity wouldn't be recognizable anymore, I couldn't identify with a FTL Species at all - thats also the problem I have with Star Trek :(

Back
Top Bottom