Lucasarts game to be released on GOG tomorrow!

I have seen this elsewhere and thought to share it with you guys - brilliant:

qspzx.gif

No doubt. Would be super appropriate if Disney ever releases the non special editions of the OT on Blu-Ray. I rarely buy Blu-Rays when they first come out. Its been probably 5 years, but I'd have that on pre-order the second it was posted, regardless of the cost!

It depends on what they've updated. If it's just another typical DosBox treatment - I can do that myself at no cost.

It depends on what they've updated. If it's just another typical DosBox treatment - I can do that myself at no cost.

Hey - don't pee on our nerdgasm with your reality ;)

Well, it says the Windows version of TIE Fighter requires a joystick/controller, but the DOS version will work with a mouse and keyboard. Somehow I can't imagine that working very well.

I'm sure they'll have one of their sales where you get a bunch off if you buy everything, so I will probably actually wait until then. I wonder if the Windows version of TIE Fighter will work with an XBox game pad? (I actually have a joystick too, but just curious)

I'm sure they'll have one of their sales where you get a bunch off if you buy everything, so I will probably actually wait until then. I wonder if the Windows version of TIE Fighter will work with an XBox game pad? (I actually have a joystick too, but just curious)

Don't know about TIE Fighter, but if it's like X-Wing it should be ok. Here's a GOG twitch stream of someone playing the game (skip to about 2:30) http://www.twitch.tv/gogcom/b/582841688, he's playing the DOS version of the game for some reason.

Don't know about TIE Fighter, but if it's like X-Wing it should be ok. Here's a GOG twitch stream of someone playing the game (skip to about 2:30) http://www.twitch.tv/gogcom/b/582841688, he's playing the DOS version of the game for some reason.

The DOS version is the one that works with mouse and keyboard; the Windows version only works with Joystick and gamepad.

The worst is I'm sure the negotiations with Disney went something like this:

"Do you want to earn more revenue through your newly acquired back catalog? Estimated sales for the next few years are a few hundred thousand dollars."

"Uh…. OK yes I suppose we can do that. We'll go through the necessary red tape and arrange a contract. In the meantime, just grab our games off torrent sites and come up with the materials yourselves and go ahead."

GOG really doesn't sell a lot of games, their volume is very low. So I think it is Disney doing gamers a favor, because this is so insignificant to them, it must barely cover their lawyers' fees and the various red tape they had to go through.

I think Lucas Arts was a no go before because their old CEO refused to release their products with no DRM in order not to displease some shareholders or something. This is why DRM is still used, I don't think most care about it, but it's about the perception of doing something that could lead to lower sales, in the eyes of shareholders for whom it is only about numbers.

Yeah, the Jedi Knight games…. It's been aaaages since I played those.

I was never a fan of Dark Forces and I never really got into Jedi Knight, but loved the other 2 (I think there are two) games in that series.

Does Jedi Knight have much of a story?

Yeah, the Jedi Knight games…. It's been aaaages since I played those.

I was never a fan of Dark Forces and I never really got into Jedi Knight, but loved the other 2 (I think there are two) games in that series.

Does Jedi Knight have much of a story?

Yeah, as much as any other game. It even has a karma meter, for those that think there's no real story without one. :p

I think it's one of the games that's been caught in AMD's "nope, fuck off, you can't play old games" driver updates, though.

Yeah, as much as any other game. It even has a karma meter, for those that think there's no real story without one. :p

I think it's one of the games that's been caught in AMD's "nope, fuck off, you can't play old games" driver updates, though.

If getting it to work is possible, I can get it to work ;)

Well, I seem to remember the last couple of Jedi Knight games having enough story for me to be entertained. Not sure why I didn't get into the first one… I'm just picky, I guess.

I saw a post on reddit where they pretty much confirmed that this is just the first batch. I believe they were talking about 30ish games in total.

As for Jedi Knight.. I actually prefer Jedi Academy. I don't mind Kyle Katarn, but the other games just rubbed me the wrong way for some reason. I don't know why.

If getting it to work is possible, I can get it to work ;)

Well, I seem to remember the last couple of Jedi Knight games having enough story for me to be entertained. Not sure why I didn't get into the first one… I'm just picky, I guess.

You, picky? You've got nothing on me, sir!

I have to say, as much as I loved TIE Fighter, the game I'm probably going to pick up first is Sam and Max. Then it's just a matter of time until Day of the Tentacle gets released.

You, picky? You've got nothing on me, sir!

I have to say, as much as I loved TIE Fighter, the game I'm probably going to pick up first is Sam and Max. Then it's just a matter of time until Day of the Tentacle gets released.

Both games are easy to run in DosBox, IIRC. Also, with DosBox - you can use custom filters and whatever resolution you want, which can make even these ancient games look pretty good.

But if this is about money burning a hole in your pocket, I won't get in your way ;)

They're easy to run in ScummVM, which I suspect GOG might be using. I've got no idea what happened to my old discs, though, and at that price I might as well support a good company.

They're easy to run in ScummVM, which I suspect GOG might be using. I've got no idea what happened to my old discs, though, and at that price I might as well support a good company.

I can appreciate that ;)

Back
Top Bottom