Trials of Fire - Released

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
The tactical RPG Trials of Fire is now available:

TRIALS of FIRE Launch Trailer

A Tactical, Deck-Building Roguelite. Choose 3 Heroes and adventure into a post-Cataclysmic wasteland. Engage enemies in a unique meld of card-play and tactical, positional combat. Level up and scavenge what you can to customise your decks and build a party to take on any challenge!
More information.

Maybe it's just me but I'm tired of rogue-like, dynamically generated, card-driven blah, blah, blah games. I want more hand-crafted gaming experiences.

This is actually quite good I have it and played it in early access...have yet to play the full release.

It's not just you, SSIGuy, I as well have had my fill of rogue-lite or like games. I adore the handcrafted ones, those tend to on average have high exploration value, which I quite appreciate in any game.

Yeah, not my cup of tea either. I assume they make these in part because they're much cheaper to make than a narrative driven / handcrafted cRPG.

As someone who enjoyed both Slay the Spire and Monster Train it seems to me more an attempt to make the premise of a deck building game like Magic the Gathering an attractive single play experience. Deck building card and board games have been very popular over the last few years, so I think there are people who may be familiar with the concept outside of computer games, who then see something like this game and think they can play a game with gameplay elements that they recognize alone on their computer.

Yeah count me as another who's tired of seeing certain genres just because it's cheaper.

I think you guys are selling it short by saying they are only doing this because it is cheaper.....they are doing this because they like it.

I don't think every rpg needs to be a huge story and open world and not every game needs to be a card game, however there is certainly room in the market for both.

Yep, some of us want to be challanged, and some of us want to be told a story.
And I guess most of us want both in varying share.
For those who want first and foremost to be challenged, games like this are perfectly fine.

And yeah, obviously there's more to RPGs than these two aspects...

I’m a big fan of deck building games where you evolve your deck over a short random play session. They are created because they are fun not because they are cheap. With that said there have been more of them coming out lately and not all of them are good. Trial by Fire though I picked up and have been impressed with. It’s very different from the other entries, with multiple party members and some fairly interesting mechanics. It’s still a deck builder though so if you don’t like those you probably won’t like this.

Back
Top Bottom