Euro 2020

Once it went to a shootout, England was finished. The kiss of death for The Three Lions.

It's hard to believe they missed three straight though, and that first miss was vs a wide-open net. He tried to get a little too cute with his approach.

The locker room antics afterwards must have been amusing. One thing England cannot say or complain about is not having opportunities during the match. They had quite a few and squandered most if not all of them.

The nerves were setting in by the Denmark game, and that was a lucky penalty to get through.

It's always frustrating, and they showed they could get past the Italian defence several times. But I think the early goal made them more nervous, and put them into a defensive mode, which ain't a great idea when you're only a goal up against Italy. Those guys taking penalties would put them away all day long, but the nerves at that point were always going to bite.

I imagine the atmosphere in England's locker room was probably pretty solemn.

It's always frustrating, and they showed they could get past the Italian defence several times. But I think the early goal made them more nervous, and put them into a defensive mode, which ain't a great idea when you're only a goal up against Italy. Those guys taking penalties would put them away all day long, but the nerves at that point were always going to bite.

Could explain the 62%-38% possession advantage for Italy. I didn't sense nervousness though. Italy just seemed like they were half a step quicker getting to loose balls most of the match. I didn't see any sense of urgency from England until extra time.

I think if you're more familiar with the players and what they can normally do, the nerves effect is more apparent; as in thinking, "He just doesn't miss those," over and over. I think it's also what put them on the defensive back foot, thinking, "Don't lose it, don't lose it..."

For a bit of armchair international football management, I think Southgate was a good tactical manager, adjusting the team for each opponent, and being careful. But, I think for the final, he should have taken a different tack, and said, "Just get out there and do your thing. If we go one up, go five up, and don't stop. Feel the energy of Wembley." I think over-caution from the manager fed the anxiety, whereas if we'd actually let the first goal go to our heads a little bit, that could have worked.

It seems that in order to continue this thread discussion any further with regards to post-match global news talking points we'll have to move the thread to p&r.

Politely ignoring everything that has happened since the final whistle until such time as the switch is made, I put the blame for England's defeat firmly in the court of Gareth Southgate, the England manager. And, conversely, the praise for Italy's success firmly in the court of their manager Mansini.

This final really wasn't about the players at all, they were merely the on-field expression of their respective managers.

The Italian manager saw his team playing like shit & changed it up. The England manager saw his team play like shit and did fuck all about it.

This isn't to slam the England manager, far from it. He's the best manager we've had, results-wise, since 1966. To all intents and purposes, he's a top-notch unfaultable genius.

But the second-half of that match, he was dogshit. The game never should have got to penalties. England simply weren't good enough in the 2nd half because, for some bizarre and unknown reason, they suddenly decided to play long-ball and foul-inciting instead of passing and crossing. And that must have been a managerial decision.

We had Jurgen Klinsman on the mic at half-time and he was spot-on, he said "England need to press on for a second goal, because you wont ever be safe against Italy with just one goal", and that was precisely my opinion & one I would assume would be obvious to anyone. And yet they came out for the 2nd half and just spent the whole time booting the ball to the Italian goalkeeper. Truly bizarre.

I would agree, lackblogger, granted these are adults playing the game and should be able to make some adjustments on their own, yet the job of coaches and assistants is to give feed-back on what they observe, and get their own players to respond accordingly. I saw very little sense of urgency from the Brit players, a few times I saw actually flinches/hesitations, and the Italians were by far the superior team that day, especially during the second half.

Yesterday I pondered what the England locker room must have been like, today I'd rather hear what was going in the Italian one. They made substantial adjustments during the game, and capitalized on both coaching/players coordinating their efforts to dominating the pitch. Which they did.

England would deserve another 55 years of pain if they get rid of their manager. He didn't have the best final but he is the best option for the World Cup next year.

The UEFA is getting criticism now because of how they handled everything.

Back
Top Bottom