Diablo 2: Resurrected - 5 Million Copies sold / Patch 2.4 live

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Windows Central reports that over 5 million copies of Diablo 2: Resurrected have been sold. Polygon reports that patch 2.4 fixes 20 year old bugs:

Diablo 2 gets first major update in 11 years, fixes some 20-year-old bugs

Patch 2.4 for Diablo 2: Resurrected is live now

Blizzard Entertainment rolled out a major new update for Diablo 2: Resurrected on Thursday, a patch that made sweeping balance changes to and fixed numerous bugs in the classic click-and-kill action-RPG. Patch 2.4 for Diablo 2: Resurrected is the first major balance update to the game in more than 11 years and fixes some nasty bugs that players have faced since the original game launched in 2000.

Of note are two longstanding bugs with Diablo 2 that would have completely wiped out your character's mana -- making some classes effectively defenseless -- or dealt too much damage -- namely fire-enchanted monsters. From Blizzard's extensive patch notes:

• Fixed an issue where Unique monster packs with mana drain were draining way more mana than was intended
  • Fixed an issue where fire enchanted monsters were doing too much damage in Nightmare difficulty
Diablo 2: Resurrected developers said last year that they wanted to address bugs like the above, the unexpected results of miscalculations in the game's code, that have long vexed players.
Andre Abrahamian, former game designer at Blizzard Entertainment and lead design for Diablo 2: Resurrected, said during a Q&A video session that the team in charge of the Diablo 2 remaster wanted to fix "things that are misinforming players," but leave "quirks" that could benefit players or that became part of the game's meta as-is.

[...]

More information.

Wish I wasn't one of the 5 million that wasted my money on this game. I enjoyed it in the 90s but that gameplay isn't for me anymore. I used to love the arcade game Gauntlet but I'm sure that would bore me after 20 minutes now.

Wish I wasn't one of the 5 million that wasted my money on this game. I enjoyed it in the 90s but that gameplay isn't for me anymore. I used to love the arcade game Gauntlet but I'm sure that would bore me after 20 minutes now.
I'm curious about the remake, since I really enjoyed the original. What makes it boring in your opinion? Too clunky by modern standards? Too slow?

Skickat från min Pixel 6 via Tapatalk

No, it's actually a very nice remake/update. For me, it's just the gameplay. Just clicking on mobs and fighting a bunch of creatures over and over in real-time. I guess I'm done with action RPGs. I made a necro and finished the first 2 acts and had no desire to keep playing.

Shows just how amazing those early "classes" of bliz talent were. People will still buy tons of copies of the old while so many new games don't hold a candle.

Similar to classic WoW. Bliz established the blueprint for ARPG and for MMORPG so well that they themselves eventually couldn't even follow it and there have been SO many craptastic clones and attempts at both ARPG and MMO that have brutally failed despite the successful blueprint being right there in everybody's faces.

So maybe it's not just the blueprint but those that established the blueprint. Blueprint without talent isn't enough (or in the modern corporate US coding paradigm - contracting all your coding out to 3rd world scrubs is eventually going to prove a poor idea). So I say, more kudos to those early Bliz devs and designers.

The remaster never stuck with me, even though I was sure it would. This is also probably because I don't have the time I used to when I was younger. But regardless, the remaster is objectively a fantastic remaster. It looks phenomenal that's for sure. Vicarious Visions are obviously a really talented team. I'm pretty sure current day Blizzard, left to their own devices, would probably have done a worst job. No wonder they acquired the studio.

Anyway, on to the subject, 5 million is pretty impressive. And them doing patches and fixes to such an old gameplay engine is great. But what I'm more excited about is Diablo 4. :D Though it'll likely be a similar thing to past games where I just don't have enough time to dedicate to them. The excitment and anticipation ends up more fun than the actual game. :D

Count me another of the five million people that bought this game, and played 2 hours before realising it's a 20+-year-old game that doesn't belong to the current world, facelift or not.

On the bright side, this game comes from an actually successful studio and it was actually beautifully remastered and very playable, so there is merit in that - pretty solid distinction from most of the unplayable amateur-made 20+-year-old RPGs that keep getting pumped out these days just to sell a few thousand copies, preying on old people to get some desperate cash change at no effort.

I didn't like all Diablo games (I don't call them RPGs) from the very beginning...

I'm not a fan of the sub-genre either. I did like the original Diablo just for the soundtrack and atmosphere, but of the multitude of clones I've tried over the years, there's only been a small handful that I was able to play for more than a few hours.

No, it's actually a very nice remake/update. For me, it's just the gameplay. Just clicking on mobs and fighting a bunch of creatures over and over in real-time. I guess I'm done with action RPGs. I made a necro and finished the first 2 acts and had no desire to keep playing.

I get you. It is extremely repetitive. I love DII setting and atmosphere, but the gameplay is boring ~~as hell :lol:

I wanted to get this...but I think I will just wait for it to be on gamepass...just a matter of time at this point.

I'm enjoying it a lot more now that I'm able to play with a controller from the couch. I'm sitting at a computer using a mouse and keyboard all day now, so being able to put my legs up on the couch is great. I don't play as much as I did 20ish years ago, but I had a lot more free time then.

Back
Top Bottom