BGEE: Siege of Dragonspear - Announcement Recording

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
If you missed it - here's the 27-minute recording of live streamed event announcing Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear:

More information.

Some info about the development of the new expansion and the history of Beamdog.

Am I the only one who got really tired of Minsc?

No, I find him overused. That's the problem when you design games with "fanservice" mind.

Actually, I've found him overrated ever since people started the whole hamster crap online.

Then again, Bioware always had most success with their weakest "crazy-ass-attitude" characters, including Sera and Mordin.

People aren't really into great writing, they just like extreme characters, it seems.

It's not like I'm not guilty myself - as I absolutely loved HK-47 back in the day.

It's not like I'm not guilty myself - as I absolutely loved HK-47 back in the day.

Statement : This is because you are an unacceptable meatbag.

EDIT
Frustrated remark : To the other unacceptable meatbags that asked me why I was calling Dart terrible names.... Meatbag is the best description of you shoddily constructed bags of meat. I refuse to call you organics.
-HK-47

Last edited:
I love the BG games, but Misc always was annoying to me after a few hours. I loved Jaheira's voice work, and another female's voice... sounded sort of Jamaican to my ears... can't remember her name. Others were good too. But the Minsc "comedy" grates on my nerves after a few hours. Nothing like rubbing a punchline into the ground.

No.

In my current playthrough (on hiatus) I regrett leaving Anomen behind for Minsc.

C

If you play a female character that is a very sensible thing to do though.

Couldn't stand Anomen. Dont' remember why.

How could you get tired of quotes like:

Minsc will be free! These bonds will not hold my wrath! Butts will be liberally kicked in good measure!

I would hate being forgotten in a bottle. It might depend somewhat on the type of bottle, but overall I expect the effect would be similar.

Magic is impressive but now Minsc leads. Swords for everyone!

Minsc: Butt kicking for goodness.

I wish they would have improved some of the spell visual effects. They are definitely showing their age, particularly the fireball.

If you're playing an evil party, obviously you're going to tend to leave Minsc behind. (Kagain, Shar-Teel, Viconia, Edwin, Safana and PC Assassin is one of my all time fave parties...)

However in my very first playthrough, the timed nature of Minsc' quest made him turn on my party which meant I ended up having to kill him anyway. Thus, I've never quite had the attachment to him as others have, though I can see the appeal certainly.
I've just always been more of an Edwin or Xan fan. :)

I can't say I'm too enthusiastic for Siege of Dragonspear based upon the BGEE content, but for an indulgent opportunity to replay the classics and try yet another party configuration, I'd still be willing to give 'em a chance.

If you're playing an evil party, obviously you're going to tend to leave Minsc behind. (Kagain, Shar-Teel, Viconia, Edwin, Safana and PC Assassin is one of my all time fave parties…)

You must be talking about BG EE then, right? Or did you use a mod that allowed you to create an Assassin?

You're testing my memory there JDR (this was probably 2005-6 or so!) but I suspect that I used the BG1tutu mod to get access to the BG2 class kits.

http://www.pocketplane.net/mambo/index.php?option=content&task=blogcategory&id=143&Itemid=98

I remember I took an Avenger (druid kit) all the way through BG1+TotSC-BGII-ToB years ago and wrote a few threads on it elsewhere as well.

To be honest, I haven't completed BG2 EE yet (though I did pick it up very cheap in the summer sale) so this future Beamdog release does provide motivation for that.

Makes sense. I remembered about the tutu mod right after I posted that.

I never tried tutu because I was always too worried about how the BG2 class kits would affect the game balance in BG1.

Fair enough, I can understand that. I guess you can always "play with the balance" a little by taking on less than ideal party members stat-wise to somewhat compensate.

I was never obsessed with "power-gaming" my way through Baldur's Gate and instead enjoyed the diversity in party building possibilities around the player, the inter party-banter that resulted and then making them work strategically. (I still need to use Skie/Eldoth and Faldorn/Quayle in combination for any length of time for example…)

Last edited:
I was never obsessed with "power-gaming" my way through Baldur's Gate and instead enjoyed the diversity in party building possibilities around the player and then making them work. (I still need to use Skie/Eldoth and Faldorn/Quayle in combination for any length of time for example…)

I always end up with the cannon party of Imoen, Jaheria, Khalid, Minsc and Dynaheir. I'll take other NPCs for awhile, like Coran, or that female cleric that's petrified when you find her, but I usually don't keep them long. I think I kept Xan to the end the first time I finished it though.

I think the main reason for that is the fact that I tend to go a significant amount of time between replays. In fact, I've only played BG to completion twice with a third playthrough stalling about 3/4 through for some reason that I don't quite remember.

One reason is lack of time due to playing so many different games, but I also tend to stay away from my favorites for long periods so that they seem fresher when I eventually replay them. :)

Back
Top Bottom