RPGWatch - Game of the Year 2021

No game of the year for me since I mostly played older games trying to get through the backlog. And because I seem to be getting behind more and more, I'm looking forward to playing Starfield, BG3 and Colony Ship in 2030 :lol:

Must be nice to know you'll live forever.

Most anticipated: BG3, Colony Ship, Urban Strife. Third place was hard, and Urban Strife could be a big bust - but nothing else really stands out.

GOTY 2021

• Solasta: Crown of the Magister
  • Gloomhavem
  • ATOM RPG: Trudograd

Most Anticipated 2022:

Well, here things get complicated because a) I actually have 4 'more anticipated games' but we can only vote for three, and b) Knowing that BG 3 will hardly be released this year, I preferred voting for another game that probably will be.

Anyway:

• King Arthur: Knight's Tale
  • Dying Light 2
  • Urban Strife
(with the 4th place being Project Haven)

I think this is the first time I have ever not voted for GOTY, I just have not played them yet. I have no doubt Pathfinder would have/will be my number one when I get to it, loved the first one.

Most anticipated:
1 Elex II
2 Elden Ring
3 Colony Ship

I think this is the first time I have ever not voted for GOTY, I just have not played them yet. I have no doubt Pathfinder would have/will be my number one when I get to it, loved the first one.

As I always say, if you know you'll be playing a game in the future & it's highly likely you'll enjoy it, then give it your vote this year, it at least is a game that won your attention to add to your primary to-play list, therefore it beats out the other games in terms of what you personally found interesting in the year's releases.

You wont get another chance to vote for it.

GOTY:

1) Pathfinder WotR
2) The Ascent
3) Wildermyth

MA:

1) Starfield
2) Gothic Remake
3) Avowed

GOTY:
Didn't play any of those games so left it blank

Most anticipated:
Elden Ring
Stalker 2
Elex 2

I dont think I ever had to vote that "unbalancedly".

For the games I liked in 2021, there hasnt been much I played:

Encased
Geneforge 1

I think Encased is "somewhat good" but not great. But nevertheless, I voted for it has #1. Having selected it in the first place also says something.
Geneforge 1 I found as somewhat disappointing. So I didn't vote for it and let the rest blank.

The the looking forward however...far too many games to chose from.

Clear favorite is Urban Strike. I votes for Elexe II second and The Iron Oath third.

But if I had more votes, I would also have voted for all the others I really want to play:
Baldur's Gate 3
Broken Roads
Colony Ship - A Post-Earth Role Playing Game
Cyber Knights: Flashpoint
Expeditions: Rome
King Arthur: Knight's Tale
Queen's Wish 2: The Tormentor
Weird West

It's already a packed year. Had to skip Rome for now.

It's already a packed year. Had to skip Rome for now.

Packed with what? You just said you barely played any of the games on the 2021 list, and I think the first game on your anticipated list that's going to come out is Weird West at the end of March. Are you busy playing stuff in other genres?

Packed with what? You just said you barely played any of the games on the 2021 list, and I think the first game on your anticipated list that's going to come out is Weird West at the end of March. Are you busy playing stuff in other genres?

1st of March is Elex 2
29th March is Arthur

I am currently still busy with Encased (and Phoenix Point, and other games)

GOTY 2021
1. Nioh 2
2. Solasta
3. Drox Operative 2

Most anticipated 2022
1. Elden Ring
2. Knights of the Chalice 2
3. Alaloth

1st of March is Elex 2
29th March is Arthur

I am currently still busy with Encased (and Phoenix Point, and other games)

Wait a little before playing Encased. They've slightly postponed their important patch #3 (content-related) due to late problems, and since mechanics are important to you, I'd even wait for their patch #4 (balancing).

This leaves plenty of time to play Rome. :)

Last edited:
I've only played one of the RPGs on the list this year, so voting for Pathfinder was pretty easy. Especially since playing Pathfinder made me play HoMM3 again, and that game is still incredible. One of the best games ever made.

As for next year:
- ELEX2
- Starfield
- BG3 (not expecting this one in 2022 though)

Wait a little before playing Encased. They've slightly postponed their important patch #2 (content-related) due to late problems, and since mechanics are important to you, I'd even wait for their patch #3 (balancing).

I always love it when they deliver the "important" things in post-release patches. It always gives you something to look forward to. A gamer's life would be so boring if games would be released in a more complete state.

Wait a little before playing Encased. They've slightly postponed their important patch #2 (content-related) due to late problems, and since mechanics are important to you, I'd even wait for their patch #3 (balancing).

This leaves plenty of time to play Rome. :)

I am doing a let's play, with about 3h per week. So I need to chug along no matter what. ^^

My main issue with the game is not being broken or balancing though (which is bad) but a lack of effort put into lots of areas outside the main quest. Like some extremely undetailed and boring zones, which decrase the fun in exploration. Doubt this is going to change much.

I didn't play any new RPGs last year, but I did play Disco Elysium (the final cut version), and it is awesome. I also played Elex recently (on PS5), and enjoyed it quite a bit even with all the eurojank.

For most anticipated, I picked:

1. StarField. Logically I shouldn't be hyped for a Bethesda game after recent letdowns, but I just am. :)
  2. Baldur's Gate 3. Well, I seriously doubt it will be out this year, but it looks great, and it's Larian.
  3. Elden Ring. I only played one FromSoftware game (Bloodborne), but I ended up liking it quite a bit. An open world game in that style sound good to me.

Also looking forward to Elex 2, but since I just played the first one I might wait a bit before playing it.

GOTY:
- did not play anything new, so none

Most anticipated:
- ELEX2
- Elden Ring
- I don't trust the rest, so will see reviews when they come up so on

GOTY:
Didn't play anything on this list, has been a year of less gaming in general for me.

Most anticipated:
Elden Ring
Baldurs Gate 3
Avowed (very much doubt that it's coming out in 2022 though)

Back
Top Bottom