The TV Series discussion thread

HODOR :bigcry: That was so sad and had me tearing up.
Actually, at the time I was thinking of how callous Bran was to do that to him. He didn't even show any remorse, just shock at seeing the time paradox unfolding in front of him.

I bet Bran has done/caused a lot of issues in the past by going back and messing with things

Bran isnt really going to the past. The ink is dry.

Bran isnt really going to the past. The ink is dry.
Then why did such a thing happen to Hodor? Unless Hodor has unusual sensitivity to the death of his future self, which would be strange, I think it was caused by Bran watching him at the moment he was possessing and sacrificing the older Hodor.

That doesn't mean he travelled to the past, but he did change one element of the past: Hodor's speech and sanity of mind.

Then why did such a thing happen to Hodor? Unless Hodor has unusual sensitivity to the death of his future self, which would be strange, I think it was caused by Bran watching him at the moment he was possessing and sacrificing the older Hodor.

That doesn't mean he travelled to the past, but he did change one element of the past: Hodor's speech and sanity of mind.

Time travel is used a lot for its coolness factor, but if you try to understand what happened... good luck. Like good old Doctor 10 said... "A big ball of wibbly wobbly, timey wimey stuff".

Time travel is used a lot for its coolness factor, but if you try to understand what happened… good luck. Like good old Doctor 10 said… "A big ball of wibbly wobbly, timey wimey stuff".

I was going to post something similar. These days I hate time travel as a concept in fiction since its highly overused a plot device. Its an lazy man way to explain mysteries as it creates a paradox and you can use a paradox to explain anything .

Time travel with effect like the ones Bran elicited on Hodor kinda makes me feel like everything is determined beforehand, and people are powerless to change anything in the scenarios of their lives. It's too weird.

May I ruin the party and mention that not everyone can watch the new season right now.
Some who can also wait for the complete season to be available before going into it.

So ppl please, use spoilers tag. Especially around names.

A new series possibly promising as everyone says nice things about it just launched. It's Preacher and it's based on a comic.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5016504/
The sidekick is Rudy from Misfits so even if I can't watch it right now, can't wait.

The Preacher pilot was pretty decent, I'll be waiting to watch more of this one. AMC keeps putting out good stuff.

Yes, I liked the weird and over-the-top black comedy vibe. The preacher is an English dude who was in Mamma Mia, though, so that's going to take me a while to process. I thought the Irish vampire guy could be a great character.

1) Is there any good sci-fi series out there? I suddenly want sci-fi for reasons not completely clear. SWTOR's influence, no doubt. (On second thought, cyperpunk will do as well, let's pretend that it's a subgenre of sci-fi)

2) And in general, is there some series with quality like (or almost like) the Game of Thrones? Preferably fantasy, but I realize that it's a tall order, so anything goes. Except series with pretty much only daily life stuff, I want something more epic than that. :)

1) Ongoing new no. I've heard about some series Hunters, but just heard. Not even sure if it's sci-fi.
Mild sci-fi that seems to be cancelled because it's too good to be true is Agent Carter. Please, please, find it and watch it. It's a spinoff from this short:

2) Penny Dreadful.

2) And in general, is there some series with quality like (or almost like) the Game of Thrones? Preferably fantasy, but I realize that it's a tall order, so anything goes. Except series with pretty much only daily life stuff, I want something more epic than that. :)

I have not seen it yet but the only fantasy I know which came out recently is The Shannara Chronicles. Some people like it and others hate it :lol:

Isn't Shannara Chronicles ment for ages 12 or less? IIRC I've read in some local newspaper anyone older than 12 will hate not like it.

Isn't Shannara Chronicles ment for ages 12 or less? IIRC I've read in some local newspaper anyone older than 12 will hate not like it.

Yes and men who like hot young girls by the looks of it :p

1) Is there any good sci-fi series out there? I suddenly want sci-fi for reasons not completely clear. SWTOR's influence, no doubt. (On second thought, cyperpunk will do as well, let's pretend that it's a subgenre of sci-fi)

You have several shows, out of the top of my head:
- Agents of Shield
- DC Legends of Tomorrow
- Dark Matter
- Childhood's end
- The Expanse
- 12 Monkeys
- Killjoys
- The Magicians
- Colony
- Jessica Jones
- Daredevil

Not quality of Game of Thrones, but most are entertaining enough.

Good fantasy on tv? As good as Game of Thrones. You do realize what you're asking? :) There aren't many fantasy series really. Sure there is plenty of "superhero fantasy" stuff on tv, but fantasy like GoT? Not so much.

Few intresting series.

1. Outlander is kind of intresting. And the main character is a woman, so you may like it quite a lot. It follows the story of Claire Randall, a married combat nurse from 1945 who is mysteriously swept back in time to 1743.
  2. Merlin is really light hearted fantasy series and it is aimed for the whole family, but its quite entertaining. Ofcourse the low production values are obvious, but the series has quite much charm thanks to actors who really do terrific job. :)
  3. Camelot: a more serious take on Arthur Legend. Sadly only 1 season was made.
  4. Tudors. Not really part of the fantasy genre as it is more like historical fiction, but it is a quality series.
  5. Pillars of the Earth. Its a miniseries which is based on the Ken Follett's novel of the same name. It follows 12th-century characters through the romance, violence, tragedy, and triumph surrounding the construction of a cathedral.
  6. Rome: My favourite historical drama series. Set in ancient Rome.
  7. Vikings. Again historical fiction, but a quality series.
  8. Kings. The series' narrative is loosely based on the Biblical story of King David, but set in a kingdom that culturally and technologically resembles the present-day United States. The series is set in the fictional Kingdom of Gilboa, a modern absolute monarchy. Gilboa is ruled by King Silas Benjamin (played no other than Ian McShane!), who originally formed the united kingdom two decades before from the three warring countries of Gilboa, Carmel, and Selah. The series is not really GoT type fantasy, but I really liked the premise and Ian McShane was absolutely brilliant as as King Silas. :)
  9. The Dune 3 part miniseries.

Last edited:
I'd like to add Spartacus (historical, more or less ... blood, gore, sex and intrigues with 300-style visuals) and Almost Human (SF crime procedural) to the list. The latter has only one season and the episodes should NOT be watched in the order Fox aired them, but I found it surprisingly good :'(.

Back
Top Bottom