General News - All Time Top 50 @ PC Games

Thanks both rjshae and HiddenX for this newsbit!

A reminder: if you dear watchmember is thinking "Damn, yet another Top PC games list! Why should I read that ?", know you that this list is organized in a chronological manner, bringing up games from 1962+. Perhaps, for the truly real old-timers here (come on, you know who I'm referring to ;) ) this list may bring fond memories. Or maybe not. :)

Well, except for the 1962 game, I've played all the early games. I guess that makes me an old-timer :) Of those, Zork was the most impressive to me. I spent a good year playing that with a buddy and mapping out the underground empire.

The original Zork trilogy was great. I remember spending hours at my cousin's house playing Zork on his Commodore 64. He'd eventually have to kick me off his computer. :)

Well, except for the 1962 game, I've played all the early games. I guess that makes me an old-timer :) Of those, Zork was the most impressive to me. I spent a good year playing that with a buddy and mapping out the underground empire.

Yes crpgnut, you qualified! :)

I think this is a good list. Rather than another "all time best" as the title suggests, this is actually a list of the most important PC games, the ones that broke new ground or became the defining title for their respective genre. As such, it isn't quite as subjective as a top game list, as everyone has their own tastes.

It is funny - I was lock-step with the list until around 2003 or so ... Then it seemed like things got more forced "we have to have X game type" entries. Still a good list that pulled me back through my gaming history to Wizardry on the first computer I bought myself - an Apple ][+

It is funny - I was lock-step with the list until around 2003 or so … Then it seemed like things got more forced "we have to have X game type" entries. Still a good list that pulled me back through my gaming history to Wizardry on the first computer I bought myself - an Apple ][+

I had the same feeling, Txa! For instance, why include both Half-Life games ? Does HL 2 need to sit among the Top 50 PC games (or, the way I see the article, Top 50 most-influential PC games) ? And, as much as I respect PC Gamer, it seems they need justify the game they choose to be GOTY 2013 by including Spelunky in this list. Ok, the game is good and all but… putting it among Top 50 ????

Overall, I think the list is good!

I'm not reading the list.
Stopped caring. Gimme top50 on past decade please as solitaire, reversi, pacman and tetris are ancients.

The PC didn’t have much of a culture of side scrolling games, but Keen led a brief shareware flowering. The innocent and fun tone remained a contrast to the grim and serious directions that soon dominated, and it probably stands out a little more in memories than the endless parade of military badass scenarios. — John Carmack

I like that ! :)

The article about Dark Project is a good one, imho, as well : http://www.pcgamer.com/most-important-pc-games/#page-7

Last edited:
Good list so far. The developer quotes put the list into the worthy of reading category.

@HiddenX: The Headling needs to be @ PC Gamer
PC Games is the German magazine :D

Pretty good list I'd say.
Just counted the games I played from that list...which started with 9 I didn't play. ^^
In the end it was 30 played to 20 not played.
Btw: For the Germanz who like podcasts: Stay forever is covering several of these classics and is always fun to listen to, even if you never played the game.

Lists.

I think if I was to make a list it would change from year to year....depending on my moods. There are some games that are golden to me of course. I don't expect everyone else to enjoy the same ones I do either.

Back
Top Bottom