Quantcast
South Korea had enough of online cheaters - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General MMORPG » South Korea had enough of online cheaters

Default South Korea had enough of online cheaters

December 8th, 2016, 01:18
http://www.pcgamer.com/south-korea-m…-actual-crime/

South Korea has taken a big step toward cracking down on cheating in online games by criminalizing the creation and distribution of aimbots, wall hacks, and anything else not allowed by a game's terms of service. According to a PvPLive report, anyone convicted of doing so could face up to five years in prison (!) or $43,000 in fines.
I remember my (brief) adventure with Maple Story, then 7dragons and etc. Every each and one of MMOs had cheaters and botters.
This law should have passed a decade ago. Worldwide!
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

December 8th, 2016, 01:48
Yes should be a rule of law worldwide.

Damian

SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor

December 8th, 2016, 02:50
Totally agree, or just implement the rules of the West with how they dealt with cheaters. Not much offends me more than those that decide that cheating is the way to go.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

+1:

December 8th, 2016, 05:49
Am I the only one worried by the "anything else not allowed by a game's terms of service" part?

Korplem

Shipwreck
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

+1:

December 8th, 2016, 06:22
Criminalising cheating in games? Sounds mental, to me.

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela

December 8th, 2016, 06:34
Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
Criminalising cheating in games? Sounds mental, to me.
In Korea, definitely not. It makes the most sense there as it is big business there, a lot of revenue comes from those companies to the government. Elsewhere i can see how it would be good, ti would add 100 people tops per country and helps online game companies.

Damian

SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor

December 8th, 2016, 07:40
I'm not at all convinced. Real sport is far bigger business, and cheating there isn't a criminal offence. If there is an attempt to defraud money in any sport by manipulating the outcome of games, that's pursued under existing fraud and conspiracy laws.

This idea just seems to open a can of worms, IMO. I think it's very often an error to rush to criminalisation for the sake of expediency.

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela

+1:

December 8th, 2016, 08:31
In South Korea its not, and this kind of thing wouldnt fall under that law.

Damian

SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor

December 8th, 2016, 11:06
Real sport is far bigger business, and cheating there isn't a criminal offence.
Try to compete on heavy drugs, you won't reach far in career.

Making and distributing cheat tools is the point of this law, not cheating as activity.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

December 8th, 2016, 13:37
Real sport is far bigger business, and cheating there isn't a criminal offence.
It really depends on the country and the "sport".

You can get fined huge amount of money and if you lie about it (which a lot of them do), you can go to jail (Marion Jones did 2 years in jail for lying about taking steroids). The people who give you the drugs go to jail most of the time though (for distributing illegal drugs)

If you cheat in the sense of "match fixing", that usually result in jail time because it touch gambling laws. That is, unless the people involved are very popular and brings a lot of money to the sport. In that case, they get a tap on the hand and are told "don't do it again".
--
The reapers ceased being robot Cthulhu's when Star child nuked the plot from orbit ~ Steel on Neogaf

azarhal

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

December 8th, 2016, 14:43
Originally Posted by azarhal View Post
It really depends on the country and the "sport".

You can get fined huge amount of money and if you lie about it (which a lot of them do), you can go to jail (Marion Jones did 2 years in jail for lying about taking steroids). The people who give you the drugs go to jail most of the time though (for distributing illegal drugs)

If you cheat in the sense of "match fixing", that usually result in jail time because it touch gambling laws. That is, unless the people involved are very popular and brings a lot of money to the sport. In that case, they get a tap on the hand and are told "don't do it again".
That's what I'm saying - there are laws covering pejury and various forms of fraud, but cheating itself is not a criminal offence. The fines are usually civil matters, within the sporting body.

Criminalising cheating in any games is another matter entirely. There seems to be some lack of clarity around this story, though. It seems they might not be talking about cheating itself, but more about the hacking of systems.

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela

December 8th, 2016, 14:59
Noone will jail you just because you downloaded a bot script then cheated in a videogame. Targets are developers and distributors of those same bots. In other words you used a hack but you're clear, those who made that same hack are not clear. Or, they want to nail dealers, not drug addicts!

Some people just need to cheat in a game, but noone will care if they do it in their own singleplayer session. Some singleplayer games even disclose cheating commands upon their release. The problem is when someone is ruining others' experinece in MMOs.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

RPGWatch Forums » Games » General MMORPG » South Korea had enough of online cheaters