RPGWatch - Expeditions: Viking Preview

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
A while ago the Nordic Game Convention in Malmö took place and Aries100 went there to check out the, at that time, recently announced Expeditions: Viking. Here are his findings from that meeting.

I asked Alex the questions from Watchers Pladio and Archangel about magic weapons, mythological elements, bears, Nordic gods and skills in the game, as well as choice and consequence and here a summary of his answers: "There will be no magical weapons in this game. However, since this was a time where people believed in magic you might find a weapon that’ll boost your characters’ morale. These weapons can either be a spear of Odin or a weapon which has bone runes inserted. As such, it will be the characters perception of the weapons that will boost their morale."

In line with this, the Nordic Gods will not have a direct influence on the gameplay in any way. However, Alex gave an example from Conquistador in which a character went into cave and was exposed to some hallucinogenic fumes and experienced a meeting with a south American god. They might do the same for Viking, but they haven’t yet decided how to represent them [the Nordic Gods] in the game.
More information.

Awesome article, lots of cool info. This game is going to be awesome!

Choice and consequences are vital to this game. Alex explains: ”There is choice and consequence in this game and they are serious. Player agency is really important here”. For instance, you’re able to double-cross your enemies. You might have a trade relationship with tribe #1, but if you find out that you can get a better deal from tribe #2, you can turn on tribe #1 to make that happen. You can double-cross whoever you like, whenever you like, but with consequences.
There will also be difficult choices in this game, so you will regularly have to choose between bad choices and some less bad choices.
I want this game today.
Any possibility to get it? No?
Then don't tell me that life doesn't suck.

Enjoy the article guys. We thought it deserved a collaborative effort to give as precise infos about this interesting game as possible.

The article is awsome.
Although I said I'm buying anything these guys make after the first Expedition game, the article made me want the new game even more.

Can only hope for even more details after Myrthos visits them at Gamescom.

The main workload was on your shoulders aries100 - thank you for the article! :party:

I love Expeditions: Conquistador and I think Expeditions: Viking will be a very interesting and entertaining game, too.

Informative read!

I really liked their previous game, and I like vikings. So.... :)

Loved the first game, and will definitely buy this one too. :)

Daniel.

Back
Top Bottom