Ember - Review @Complete Nonsense Reviews

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Ember is reviewed by Complete Nonsense Reviews.

Ember’s creators describe the game as being an homage to classic role-playing games and that is true to a certain degree however, I think the focus was a bit too much on making an homage and this stops Ember from being something beyond that or besides that.
More information.

I recently bought it, only like 4 dollars on steam right now so really nothing to lose...

The problem is not that the focus was too much on the "homage" part. It is that the mechanics are just too simple for an RPG. This classifies the game as casual, which will repel real RPG players that are used to classics like BG.

Nice story and universe nonetheless. Let's hope they go a bit deeper mechanics-wise with the next one.

It feels like a homage. . . to Dungeon Siege. There's nothing wrong with that. I find its a nice light game. The problem is that it's being marketed as something like Baldur's Gate, and quite honestly Ember makes Tyranny look like a masterwork of rpg mechanics. But if you want a nice light, casual, party based hack and slay type game, Ember is pretty enjoyable.

A superior title is used for youtube and not for a site.
Such a shame.

This classifies the game as casual, which will repel real RPG players that are used to classics like BG.
True, but for a couple of $ you get more hours of fun and less HDD space occupied than with a few certain id Tech games. Which are also casual. Ask JDR if you don't believe me. :)

In a few years we probably won't remember Ember exists, but it's good to have something like it to fill the time if there is no other RPG to play - assuming we're not EA/Ubi/Konami/PerfectWorld hardcore MMO audience here.

Even dungeon siege was a 'more complex' game than this simplification. The mechanics were just too weak for myself. I did finish it but have no desire to ever play again. There just no point to it.

Too bland, too simple, too boring, too bad, I wanted to like it but couldn't stay interested pass a couple hours. Yeah, it was cheap, but so what if I don't want to play it.

I do however hope they make enough money to give another game a try. If they could just beef up the complexity of combat that would go a long way.

Been thinking of picking this up, but if it's like Dungeon Siege, then eh?
It's "style" of combat didn't age well . You need Blizzard kill->loot addictive sound loop for this.

Been thinking of picking this up, but if it's like Dungeon Siege, then eh?
It's "style" of combat didn't age well . You need Blizzard kill->loot addictive sound loop for this.

It's more like a dumbed-down BG than Dungeon Siege imo. I can't really recommend it unless you're just desperate for a party-based RPG and have already played all the good ones.

Back
Top Bottom