Witcher 3 - Best Characters

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
PCGamer declare who their best characters are in The Witcher 3. Obviously there is a heavy spoiler warning attached to this article so read at your own risk if you have not completed the game.

13. Vernon Roche

Wes: Most of my affection for Roche is a holdover from The Witcher 2, where he became a loyal brother to my Geralt. He's hard to like, at first: a dyed-in-the-wool asshole, and part of the establishment that treat non-humans like dirt. But he's also unflinchingly loyal to his unit and to his country. He saves Geralt's life. And his goals, like Geralt's, end up being deeply personal. As a result, the state of the Northern Kingdoms at the start of The Witcher 3, embroiled in civil war, felt like a direct result of the history Roche and I had shared.

[...]

11. Roach

James: Roach is a horse.

There really isn't much to say about Roach that isn't already made obvious by the fact that she's a horse. She's a horse that does horse things, like get spooked by literally anything that moves or snort and steer off Geralt's intended path. But Geralt needs her because whenever he's in trouble or needs a ride or someone to hear his thoughts, Roach is there and Roach is listening. For every canyon she gets Geralt stuck in, she gets him out of five more.

[...]
More information.

When I saw the Bloody Baron as nr. 2 I was sure Dijkstra would be nr. 1. Not because I think he's the best, but he is great. So how the hell can he not be on this list? o_O

Agreed. I would put Dijkstra well above Roche

Dandelion! :p

Seriously, this game has best quantity to quality characters in any rpg...but Hearts of Stone cast takes the cake.

Dandelion! :p

Seriously, this game has best quantity to quality characters in any rpg…but Hearts of Stone cast takes the cake.

"The Witcher 4: Fabulous Hunt

The infamous Geralt of Rivia returns in this unexpected sequel... hunts down and disembowels former friend, Dandelion..."

In my view the characters and their stories set Witcher 3 apart from all other games. Best characters ever.

I think Dandelion is a great character. CDP's intention was to make him an incredibly annoying douchebag that everyone hates, and they succeeded admirably. :)

In my view the characters and their stories set Witcher 3 apart from all other games. Best characters ever.

Bingo. Where the books shine, games shine as well, we are very lucky CDP managed to assemble such a wonderfully talented group of writers.

I think Dandelion is a great character. CDP's intention was to make him an incredibly annoying douchebag that everyone hates, and they succeeded admirably. :)

I kinda like him still :)

Agree with everyone!

When i played the game i was stunned at how great the characters are, even if they were minor ones.

I remember late into the game when i opened up my characters tab to look at something and i just couldnt believe the amount of people i had met. The list just went and on, quantity but also quality.

Edit: Odrin is still my favorite, even though he wasn't in W3

I found most of the Witcher 3 characters well done overall.

In terms of nuance and complexity, I do find the main characters a little one-note and stereotypical - where Dandelion is always this over-the-top fool and Zoltan is always the classic gruff dwarf with a joke ready. I didn't find them terribly interesting or memorable as a result. Still better than most in fantasy games, though.

So, in terms of writing - I was more impressed with the quests and the overall narrative of the game, as well as some of the minor characters. The baron was pretty great, for instance - and I have a soft spot for Keira Metz.

For a game, it's certainly among the best and most consistently strong writing that I've seen, considering its length.

However, in the ~100+ hours I played it, I was never moved to the same degree I was when playing Last of Us or Bioshock Infinite.

For me, W3 lacked that little something extra to take it beyond the realm of merely really good writing.

To be fair, though, it's exceedingly rare - and doubly so in games.

However, in the ~100+ hours I played it, I was never moved to the same degree I was when playing Last of Us or Bioshock Infinite.
It's like saying you were never moved to the same degree with Mona Lisa as you were with Guernica. Or vice versa. Oops, sorry, Last of Us or Bioshock Infinite, total trash, shouldn't be considered as masterpieces, but okay, I had to put some known art as an example.

The thread is about comparing TW3 characters among themselves. Not with characters from simplistic nonRPGs that target 5yrs old audience. :p

To be honest, I liked Vernon Roche much more in the second game; I felt his content was a bit of a letdown in the third outing. I was also a bit miffed to hear that Kalkstein got offed in the third game too - he was kind of petulant and verbose, but kind of cool.

However, Zoltan Chivay would have to be my favourite character from the entire series. He gets some of the funniest insults and dialogue in general. It's a bit annoying that he doesn't rate a mention over a freaking horse? I mean, I barely used that ruddy nag!

P.S:
Dog's balls! Thaler from the first game is another favourite. I think he gets a cameo somewhere in W3? The game is just so damn big that I've seemingly forgotten.

Last edited:
thaler is in a quest in w3
btw where is trolololololololo? :biggrin:

For me, W3 lacked that little something extra to take it beyond the realm of merely really good writing.

Always a hipster eh DArt? Could have been refreshing if it wasn't so damn predictable.

Back
Top Bottom