Prey - Review @ Nerdist

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
The Nerdist has reviewed Prey:

PREY Is a Terrifically Terrifying Game with Imaginative Gameplay

After waking up in a posh apartment with a stunning view of the city, you start your day as (either a male or female) Morgan Yu, a scientist who appears to be participating in some sort of experiment. Just as the fear that something isn’t quite right starts to sink in, your perception is turned on its head. To avoid diving into spoiler territory, I won’t explain what happens; know that’s the game is best experienced without any prior knowledge of the plot. Once the horror-infused world of Arkane Studios‘ Prey starts to unfold, you’re sent on a terrifying sci-fi trek through the sprawling Talos-1 space station.

[...]

The Verdict

While a relatively short play at 13 hours, Prey is a challenging game that you’ll want to explore again as soon as you reach the final scene. Though it bears a striking resemblance to several other titles, it holds its own with creative puzzle solving, a complex setting that is fun to traverse, and enemies that will scare the ever-living crap out of you and give you nightmares.

Score: 4/5
More information.

13 hours? The guy must have gone straight for main missions only with bare minimum exploration. My playthrough, doing all the sidemission and exploring everywhere, took 41. Brilliant game, must buy for all fpsrpg positive.

After PCG and IGN, this is yet another trash review. Just look at this idiocy:
Will you take out the onslaught of possessed humans and farm their pockets for resources as well as the difficult foe?
This reviewer didn't play the game at all it seems. You'll farm pockets whatever you do, killing people or just leaving them unconscious their pockets are open (they are KOed if you kill a telepath controlling them or use PSI power to break the possession or you shoot them with stun gun). On top of that people you can talk to with will hand (critical) items over to you making completely irrelevant if you'll kill/KO them.

Basically, when it comes to looting, your choice doesn't matter in this game. It matters only for two achievements (kill everyone, spare everyone). The thing is, you don't need to make this choice immediately - just spare everyone and at the end of the game you'll either destroy Talos with everyone inside including you or you'll all escape.
There is also a third ending where you alone escape with Alex' pod, maybe there's even 4th, dunno I didn't finish the game yet and still have some sidequests open.

And this:
Or will you ignore the difficult area altogether and conserve your energy for the main task at hand?
There is no difficult area. There is only a floating spaceship (sidequest) "protected" by a weaver you can't kill earlygame so you need to leave it for later. Every other area currently visitable at any point of the game is not difficult. It is filled with trashmob respawns, but that's timewasting filler, not difficult.

Conserve what energy. There is a sidequest that completed makes drinking water restoring 100 of your PSI instantly. Your choice is will you pursue rewarding sidequests or fastrun and finish the main story in 13 hours. The reviewer obviously choose the latter and bases the score only on that.

Meh.

Last edited:
Brilliant game, must buy for all fpsrpg positive.

Seriously? Looks like a total crap shooter from anything I could have view, more the worst shooting gameplay I ever seen.

Seriously? Looks like a total crap shooter from anything I could have view, more the worst shooting gameplay I ever seen.

Yes, seriously. It is the closest game to System Shock 2 that I have played and in fact I consider it better than SS2.

Also, it's not a shooter - but it does have fine shooting. Not the best - but certainly nowhere near the worst.

SS2 was a much worse shooter looking through ignorant glasses like that.

Now, I wouldn't rate it above SS2 - but it's certainly closer than Bioshock was.

Never finished System Shock 2 and SS2 is definitely a quite bad shooter and a great game. But at least it had many sequences related to fairly good long range shooting and with some nice tactical tricks. Prey shooting looks quite worse and just close range boredom, but ok the game looks great. I would have buy if I didn't want avoid promote a publisher with fans that destroyed the most major RPG dev ever.

Never finished System Shock 2 and SS2 is definitely a quite bad shooter and a great game. But at least it had many sequences related to fairly good long range shooting and with some nice tactical tricks. Prey shooting looks quite worse and just close range boredom, but ok the game looks great. I would have buy if I didn't want avoid promote a publisher with fans that destroyed the most major RPG dev ever.

Fully upgraded Pistol and Q-Beam are excellent long range weapons. But, again, it's not really a shooter. It's a game with some shooting in it.

If you buy games based on publisher, rather than developer, then I must say that's a very unique way of supporting the development of great games :)

I can give you my personal guarentee that Bethesda will not place the blame of a potential Prey failure upon themselves.

The only thing that will happen to Bethesda in that scenario is that they'll stop supporting the deeper games of Arkane. So, if that's what you want - then I guess there's some merit to your position.

LOL
I can only wish Bethesda stops supporting "deep" endless trashmob respawns.
This christmas sadly, I'll discover Santa is not real and Bethesda will stop supporting nogrinding Dishonored 3.

Back
Top Bottom