Quantcast
Divinity: Original Sin II - Let there be Voice - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Divinity: Original Sin II - Let there be Voice

Default Divinity: Original Sin II - Let there be Voice

August 26th, 2017, 09:17
Divinity: Original Sin II is now fully voiced:

Welcome to Kickstarter Update #42!

Okay, so remember an age ago when we said we couldn’t do voiceovers for Divinity: Original Sin 2? Well, we changed our mind! We changed our mind and we aren’t sorry! Muahaha!

Well.

Sort of.


About halfway through production, we realized just how big this game was getting. We thought there would be no way, either time or budget-wise, to voice it all. So we started small, hoping to improve the soundscape by voicing some one-liners and voice barks. But it just didn’t feel right. We wanted to hear our beloved characters talk. Really talk. So we crunched some numbers, poured some coffee and decided:

Oh heck, why not. Let's fully voice Divinity: Original Sin 2!

Here’s Swen hanging out in the sound dungeon for the full scoop.

loading…

More information.
HiddenX is offline

HiddenX

HiddenX's Avatar
The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Team
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

#1

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: NRW/Germany
Posts: 10,362
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

Default 

August 26th, 2017, 09:17
It looks better with each update.

Even though I hope the comedial tone of the actual game will be a bit toned down, I always get such a positive vibe from the update videos that Larian seems to be a great place to work at.

Not regretting having backed this (only my carrier choices a bit )
Last edited by Darkheart; August 26th, 2017 at 21:09.
Darkheart is offline

Darkheart

Darkheart's Avatar
Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin 2 Donor

#2

Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: BW, Germany
Posts: 793
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Default 

August 26th, 2017, 11:20
Fully voiced dialogues always seems like a waste of resources to me. I like ambient dialogue and a spoken line or two, but more than that is just annoying when I'm trying to read…

I realise that it's something alot of people appreciate though, so if it makes the game sell more in the end I'm a fan of the decision.
tomasp3n is offline

tomasp3n

tomasp3n's Avatar
SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

#3

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Sweden
Posts: 1,776
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Default 

August 26th, 2017, 11:24
I much prefer voiced dialogue myself. I find it much more immersive and it motivates me to actually listen to what's being said instead of just skipping over half of it - which is what always happens when I have to read a lot of dialogue.

Also, most games allow you to disable the voice-overs by muting dialogue - if you really have a problem with it, so I'd have to say it's a pretty petty position to have a problem with it being there for others.

It requires just about zero development time to implement - and if the money is there for the voice actors - then what's the big deal?

Anyway, I'm very happy to hear about this.

Now, I just need a mod to disable those terrible stealth animations and I'm all set!
NewDArt is offline

NewDArt

NewDArt's Avatar
SasqWatch

#4

Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 2,428
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Default 

August 26th, 2017, 11:30
Probably as many people than coop or slightly more.

People who wants to to buy that game would do with or without that and I am sure too than people who had no plan to do that will certainly not buy it because of that.

Oh well, as long than they don't cut anything related to the SP campaign because of that kind of waste.
Next game however I will sit on the fence with those guys because voice-over and coop and all that stuff are a given now and we will see if they start to shortcut things because they have to accommodate those pieces.

Aerth

Guest

#5

Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)

Default 

August 26th, 2017, 13:00
Originally Posted by NewDArt View Post
Also, most games allow you to disable the voice-overs by muting dialogue - if you really have a problem with it, so I'd have to say it's a pretty petty position to have a problem with it being there for others.
Muting dialogues completely would be a bit sad, like I said I like a line or two to get a sense of the character.

I'm not sure if you were referring to me when you said "petty", but if you did you should read what I wrote again. I clearly stated that I know alot of people like it and hence approve of the decision even if it isn't my personal preference, that would be the opposite of being petty.
tomasp3n is offline

tomasp3n

tomasp3n's Avatar
SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

#6

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Sweden
Posts: 1,776
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Default 

August 26th, 2017, 13:02
Originally Posted by tomasp3n View Post
Muting dialogues completely would be a bit sad, like I said I like a line or two to get a sense of the character.

I'm not sure if you were referring to me when you said "petty", but if you did you should read what I wrote again. I clearly stated that I know alot of people like it and hence approve of the decision even if it isn't my personal preference, that would be the opposite of being petty.
I wasn't referring to anyone in particular and obviously not you as you don't fit the kind of person I was talking about
NewDArt is offline

NewDArt

NewDArt's Avatar
SasqWatch

#7

Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 2,428
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Default 

August 26th, 2017, 13:07
Originally Posted by NewDArt View Post
I wasn't referring to anyone in particular and obviously not you as you don't fit the kind of person I was talking about
Haha, noted and well put. I thought that since you claim to just skip dialogue if it's only written perhaps the same was true for forum posts.

Had I written only the first half I would indeed have deserved "petty", at least without further elaboration on my views.
tomasp3n is offline

tomasp3n

tomasp3n's Avatar
SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

#8

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Sweden
Posts: 1,776
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Default 

August 26th, 2017, 13:14
It is rare than the quality of the acting with a full voiced game is totally consistent across all the game and every NPC. We are talking about 1000 NPCs and 1000 000 words RPG according to Swen not an action game.

Aerth

Guest

#9

Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)

Default 

August 26th, 2017, 13:16
Originally Posted by tomasp3n View Post
Haha, noted and well put. I thought that since you claim to just skip dialogue if it's only written perhaps the same was true for forum posts.

Had I written only the first half I would indeed have deserved "petty", at least without further elaboration on my views.
I can't claim to be thorough at all times with everyone.

For instance, my mind more or less auto-skips half of Chien's posts - because it's essentially just noise to my eyes.

Also, I'm pretty sure a lot of people do the same thing with my posts. I mean, some of them are somewhat verbose

Our brains are more or less designed around filling in the blanks based on an active imagination, anyway.

I would be quite surprised if more than 10% around here actually read through every post in a thorough manner.

Certainly, it seems way out of the norm that people truly bother to understand each other - unless they happen to agree about the topic at hand.

Even then, it's more or less just an assumption because our brains skew the results towards alignment when our emotional state is one of agreement.

Anyway, I guess this already got quite off topic.
NewDArt is offline

NewDArt

NewDArt's Avatar
SasqWatch

#10

Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 2,428
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

August 26th, 2017, 14:56
Witcher 3 was quite good.

Originally Posted by Aerth View Post
It is rare than the quality of the acting with a full voiced game is totally consistent across all the game and every NPC. We are talking about 1000 NPCs and 1000 000 words RPG according to Swen not an action game.
you is offline

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

#11

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: usa
Posts: 2,260
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Default 

August 26th, 2017, 14:58
I'm mixed here. Witche 3 and so far rise of tomb raider are quite good. ds was ok but the story itself was pretty bad.
-
I have positive vibes for this one since the game is much more story driven than the previous one. time will tell.

Originally Posted by tomasp3n View Post
Fully voiced dialogues always seems like a waste of resources to me. I like ambient dialogue and a spoken line or two, but more than that is just annoying when I'm trying to read…

I realise that it's something alot of people appreciate though, so if it makes the game sell more in the end I'm a fan of the decision.
you is offline

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

#12

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: usa
Posts: 2,260
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Default 

August 26th, 2017, 15:38
Originally Posted by you View Post
Witcher 3 was quite good.
Sure. The game was designed around that from the start however there was not text to read. The number of people you met and could discuss with were for example limited. It was not isometric RPG game with 1000 NPC but more a ARPG so like with the Fallout, Skyrim and such it makes sense.

But again, I just thought it was a waste of resource because I was under the impression than when you meet NPC 512, Quest 126 text you may be a bit fed up to wait for the end of the reading. Apparently some people are quite happy with this so kudos for them.

Aerth

Guest

#13

Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
+1:

Default 

August 26th, 2017, 15:44
Originally Posted by NewDArt View Post
I can't claim to be thorough at all times with everyone.

For instance, my mind more or less auto-skips half of Chien's posts - because it's essentially just noise to my eyes.

Also, I'm pretty sure a lot of people do the same thing with my posts. I mean, some of them are somewhat verbose

Our brains are more or less designed around filling in the blanks based on an active imagination, anyway.

I would be quite surprised if more than 10% around here actually read through every post in a thorough manner.

Certainly, it seems way out of the norm that people truly bother to understand each other - unless they happen to agree about the topic at hand.

Even then, it's more or less just an assumption because our brains skew the results towards alignment when our emotional state is one of agreement.

Anyway, I guess this already got quite off topic.
Thanks for keeping this post under 200 words! (154)
--
This is a signature.
Wenzil is offline

Wenzil

Wenzil's Avatar
The Real Sasquatch

#14

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Traverse City, Michigan
Posts: 200
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

August 26th, 2017, 20:04
Seems like a daunting task given the large amount of branching dialogs.
--
If I'm right but there is no wife around to acknowledge it, am I still right?
TheMadGamer is offline

TheMadGamer

TheMadGamer's Avatar
SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

#15

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 2,537
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

August 26th, 2017, 23:13
Originally Posted by tomasp3n View Post
Fully voiced dialogues always seems like a waste of resources to me. I like ambient dialogue and a spoken line or two, but more than that is just annoying when I'm trying to read…

I realise that it's something alot of people appreciate though, so if it makes the game sell more in the end I'm a fan of the decision.
Yes me too, are we getting old? Lol
Saxon1974 is offline

Saxon1974

Saxon1974's Avatar
Keeper of the Watch

#16

Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 610
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

August 27th, 2017, 01:17
Divinity: Original Sin II is now fully voiced:
You don't say. Well I'm speechless.

Hopefully there aren't too many annoying cheese vendors in this one.
rjshae is offline

rjshae

rjshae's Avatar
Periapt vs Paronomasia
RPGWatch Donor

#17

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Seattle
Posts: 3,797
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Default 

August 27th, 2017, 11:32
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
You don't say. Well I'm speechless.

Hopefully there aren't too many annoying cheese vendors in this one.
Would you like a fine Cheddar (**) with that sir?
** Cheese snobs don't consider Cheddar to be real cheese - I've been told ;-)
booboo is offline

booboo

booboo's Avatar
Keeper of the Watch

#18

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Cape Town, South Africa
Posts: 1,432
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

Default 

August 27th, 2017, 11:34
I love voice acting, but repetitive NPC chatter is QUITE another matter
NewDArt is offline

NewDArt

NewDArt's Avatar
SasqWatch

#19

Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 2,428
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

August 27th, 2017, 13:32
I think it just shows the commitment from Larian to producing the best game possible, I also think it brings out character's personalities, especially accents.
skally_wag is offline

skally_wag

skally_wag's Avatar
Watcher

#20

Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: UK
Posts: 37
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
+1:
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Divinity: Original Sin II - Let there be Voice
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 04:59.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright by RPGWatch