I'd make the jump if I didn't have to change the whole case because of the PSU, and if I wasn't concerned about something that consumes so much.

It's also insanely expensive here, I only briefly looked but it's about 2000 € for the RTX 4090.

I'd make the jump if I didn't have to change the whole case because of the PSU, and if I wasn't concerned about something that consumes so much.

It's also insanely expensive here, I only briefly looked but it's about 2000 € for the RTX 4090.
Yeah, that's around the same over here. But I said YOLO o_O.
It was also slightly motivated by the insane requirements I'm seeing on Alan Wake 2. They were just revealed, and for the full RT it seems to be a real hog at 4k.

About the PSU, do you mean you're under what it would've required? Or do you mean about the 16 Pin PCI-E 12VHPWR requirement?
My corsair PSU doesn't support that, so I'll need to use the adapter from 3 PCI-E to one. I don't want to also replace that, so hopefully I won't have issues with that adapter.
I know it's been a bit infamous, with the adapter having some issues if you don't plug it in correctly. I'll need to bear that in mind.

Anyway, I'm excited to try it out in CP2077. I'm seeing some videos with it running at 4k, DLSS Quality, Frame Generation on with RT overdrive and it stays at 60-65fps at around 60 degrees C. That's kind of insane that it stays that cool.

Yeah, that's around the same over here. But I said YOLO o_O.
It was also slightly motivated by the insane requirements I'm seeing on Alan Wake 2. They were just revealed, and for the full RT it seems to be a real hog at 4k.
Yeah, I've seen that. It's crazy.

About the PSU, do you mean you're under what it would've required? Or do you mean about the 16 Pin PCI-E 12VHPWR requirement?
I'm not sure about the connectors, but the PSU is not powerful enough for a 4090. It's a weird case with non-standard dimensions and a stupid air intake below the case for the PSU, which sucks all the dust in. I would need to strip it bare to get to the power unit, and even then, there's no way a standard one fits in. That's how Lenovo makes PCs.

My corsair PSU doesn't support that, so I'll need to use the adapter from 3 PCI-E to one. I don't want to also replace that, so hopefully I won't have issues with that adapter.
I know it's been a bit infamous, with the adapter having some issues if you don't plug it in correctly. I'll need to bear that in mind.
Make sure to double-check the adapter strategy is safe! :)

Make sure to double-check the adapter strategy is safe! :)
Yeah, I suddenly got paranoid and sprung for a 3.0 ATX PSU that has the correct power output without needing the adapter.
I wanted to avoid this since my new case houses the PSU in a partially sealed off metal encasing. I don't know what they were thinking, but it's a real pain in the ass to add new cables. So it kind of kills the whole modular PSU if I have to take out the PSU to be able to add new cables. :(
I got a https://www.corsair.com/us/en/p/psu...-atx-power-supply-cp-9020264-na#tab-techspecs
I'm a bit bummed since I couldn't find a platinum rated PSU with ATX 3.0 support. Oh well.

Yeah, I suddenly got paranoid and sprung for a 3.0 ATX PSU that has the correct power output without needing the adapter.
I wanted to avoid this since my new case houses the PSU in a partially sealed off metal encasing. I don't know what they were thinking, but it's a real pain in the ass to add new cables. So it kind of kills the whole modular PSU if I have to take out the PSU to be able to add new cables. :(
I got a https://www.corsair.com/us/en/p/psu...-atx-power-supply-cp-9020264-na#tab-techspecs
I'm a bit bummed since I couldn't find a platinum rated PSU with ATX 3.0 support. Oh well.
It sounds like it's always a pain to change that component...

At least, you should be safe for a few years.

Thank god my laziness and dread at having to replace my PSU and all cables (there's a boatload of them, since I have a bunch of auxiliary devices) made me look twice, and I found a thread on the corsair forums that mentioned my current PSU (corsaid hx1200)
Apparently I don't need to replace my whole psu. I just need to get the proper cable from 2x pci-e to the 12+4 pin PCIe 5.0 connector on the 4090.

This removes the need for any adapter or new PSU, and I'll have a proper cable from my PSU directly to the 4090.

Weirdly enough, and to add to the confusion, apparently my PSU has type 4 connectors, but they don't say that for this PSU. But that's apparently the type it is (even if you look at the bundle of cables they try to sell the PSU with).
On all other PSUs, the cable type section in the specs says type x; but on mine it says "Low-Profile, All Black". God damn!

EDIT: Ok, even more confident now, I think, since I found a compatibility chart.
1697983828749.png

I guess worst case, I'll probably burn or blow something up. :(

Last edited:
I really don't know much about that, but I'm sure there are forums with experts who could confirm what you're planning to do is right.
Yeah, it's based on those forums is what lead me down this path. I think I should be safe. Plus I also checked the shape of the connectors, and they're each of shapes and arrangements of those shapes. And the ones I am planning to hook up are also compatible.
I'll return when I actually get the card and try it out.

At this point, I've also looked pretty deeply into the melting issues with the adapter. And I don't know what to believe anymore. At first they were saying it's an issue with the adapter. Then it's an issue with the positioning of the adapter, once plugged in (it can wiggle and move if you pull on it; and the theory is maybe vibrations in the case could also cause it to move). Now what I can't find confirmation is if the psu connectors (which replace the need for adapters) have better hooking mechanisms that stop the connector from being allowed to wiggle inside.

I don't know. I'll have to check it and see how much wiggle it allows and if it's got a better mechanism. But what's clear is I've not really seen any similar issues with the psu connectors. I've only seen reported issues with the adapter.
But now I've stumbled onto other videos (
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKqC2wJIeEI
) which are saying it's not even the adapter, since the same adapters were used on 3090, with no melting issues. So they're theorizing it's the card. But I've read forums posts of other, non-FE cards, with the melting issue.

Again, I don't know. I'm afraid something else that is getting lost is how frequently this is happening. If you consider that the whole media is motivated to make everything into a story, that can also artificially amplify the issue.
Plus, as Steve from Gamer's Nexus said, since this got so public, people are also likely constantly tugging at it, pushing and pulling the connector, possibly causing foreign materials to get inside, and the mere act of people not leaving it alone could amplify the frequency of the issue.

I'm not sure about the connectors, but the PSU is not powerful enough for a 4090. It's a weird case with non-standard dimensions and a stupid air intake below the case for the PSU, which sucks all the dust in. I would need to strip it bare to get to the power unit, and even then, there's no way a standard one fits in. That's how Lenovo makes PCs.
Having an air intake at the bottom is fairly common, but a good case will have a dust filter there. Mine has a filter that slides in/out for easy cleaning.

Yeah, I got even more paranoid as I kept digging, and I keep finding threads on various forums with 4090s melting.
Statistically they're very few, but somehow this has really gotten in my head. The fact that apparently cases are still happening. And not just with the adapter.
Now, this could all be a self-perpetuating issue where it reached critical mass, and so every case gets amplificating coverage.
But, it's just not worth it to have this hanging over me. So, I cancelled my order. I'm going back to waiting for a next-gen card.
Hopefully they sort out what the deal is with this 12+4 pin connector. But what's probably gonna happen is they're gonna put two of them on the next gen cards :ROFLMAO:

Something on the topic.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXVancEZOP0

I would hate to go to a restaurant with you. 😉

Seriously though, I think you made the right decision. It's not worth spending that much when the GPU you already have is still quite powerful. You're better off waiting until the next generation or at least a decent sale.

I would hate to go to a restaurant with you. 😉

Seriously though, I think you made the right decision. It's not worth spending that much when the GPU you already have is still quite powerful. You're better off waiting until the next generation or at least a decent sale.
The 4090 was the only one worth an upgrade, and even that was mostly on whim, for CP2077 and Alan Wake 2, since they're both absolute beasts in terms of requirements.
But it's really a non-starter with all the issues. No way I'm throwing that amount of money and have to worry about if and when it's gonna crap on me.

I think the odds of it crapping out on you are pretty small, but 2000 Euros for a 4090 is ridiculous. They're really gouging you guys with the prices over there.
2000 is actually the most reasonable. There's 4090's sold for 2500+ euros. Amazon.de sells them for around 2k. The one I found was around 1900.
But these top of the line cards are always very rare over here, so they tend to be gouging instruments. You really need to be on the lookout if you're serious about buying one.

removed.
Yeah, nevermind. And hopefully, if the 4080 ti draws more power than the 4080, they also use the new spec. power connector to avoid the melting issues.
o_O

It's all shrouded in speculation at the moment, but numerous reports suggest that the upcoming Nvidia GeForce RTX 4080 Ti will be based on the AD102 GPU, the same die used in the flagship RTX 4090. Furthermore, it's expected that the RTX 4080 Ti will feature more than 14,000 CUDA cores, something that's in touching distance of the RTX 4090's 16,384 CUDA cores. This would be a colossal jump compared to the 9,728 CUDA cores in the RTX 4080. The VRAM might also receive a boost from 16GB on the RTX 4080 to 20GB on the RTX 4080 Ti.

Last edited:
You know what, fuck it. At this price range why am I nickel and diming.
I went for a TUF 4090 on amazon.de and just for some potential peace of mind, I opted for their extra 3 year warranty, just in case (apparently on top of the 2 year warranty).
I have no idea how or if they're gonna try to weasel out of it , but for 90 euros it's worth it for a little bit of peace of mind. This way if something does happen and I burn my card I can hopefully get some decent service out of it.
If anyone has any experience with the amazon extra warranty, feel free to speak up.
Anyway, if something does happen it will be a pain to ship it to Germany, but whatever.

The answer for my needs - a 16GB 4070 soon:
I'd take that rumor with a grain of salt. I posted about it back in June, but I've yet to see anything that convinces me Nvidia is going to refresh their lineup. Same with the article danutz linked to above.

Just to ensure I take out the PSU and any adapter issues from the equation I also went for a pretty high end Seasonic PSU that natively has the 12+4 pin (12VHPWR). So it's gonna be a single direct cable from the PSU to the gpu.

Weirdly enough, I got the 1600W one since on amazon it was cheaper than the 1300W? Using this same PSU I've seen some reviewer saying he's hosted 2 4090s on the same PSU. Which is just insane.
The PSU was around 400 euros. Which is definitely the most expensive PSU I ever bought.

If I have melting issues with this setup, I think I definitely can't be accused of not trying hard enough to keep it safe. :ROFLMAO: