Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
This was announced yesterday and came as a surprise.
Slowly, over time, the relationship between EVGA and Nvidia changed from what EVGA considered a true partnership to customer–seller arrangement whereby EVGA was no longer consulted on new product announcements and briefings, not featured at events, and not informed of price changes. On September 7, Nvidia offered via Best Buy an RTX 3090 Ti for $1,099.99, undercutting EVGA and other partners that were offering their products at $1,399.99. There was no warning of the price cut, and it left the partners with little choice but to sell their inventory at below cost to meet the Nvidia price. MSI dropped their price to $1,079.99 on New Egg, and EVGA dropped theirs to $1,149.
With that said, EVGA is only quitting GPU business with NVIDIA and that opens up the room for future partnerships with AMD and Intel but as of right now, it's all but speculation until EVGA confirms themselves.

Well, they contradict themselves on that last part since they quote just above that
EVGA will no longer be manufacturing video cards of any type, citing a souring relationship with NVIDIA as the cause (among other reasons that were minimized). EVGA will not be exploring relationships with AMD or Intel at this time, and the company will be downsizing imminently as it exits the video card market

Anyway, it sounds like PR BS, doesn't it. In French we have a more colourful idiom for that (un coup de gueule).

True it does but there is more to this story as other insiders and rumors are abundant about how Nvidia is run, and treats it's partners. The Nvidia CEO even took down two interview videos. Also the bitcoin gpu crash recently is definitely a huge factor as well.

Anyway EVGA hold 40% of the NA market so this decision wasn't made lightly. On the plus side GPU prices are falling and finally stabilizing after years of fleecing normal buyers.

I bet they do switch to AMD as they released their first AMD motherboard last year. It just wont be announced anytime soon. As for Intel their new cards and drivers..well they suck.

They'll switch or more likely come back to NVIDIA after striking a good deal with them.

The phrasing makes it look like a desperate strong arm tactic, a rational decision would definitely not be cutting the branch they're stting on, defiantly saying "let's sack people and reduce the scope of our company to show them what stuff we're made of!", but maybe announcing a switch to ARM and Intel products after having negotiated with them while they still had some leverage.

It's pathetic and irresponsible but I don't doubt that NVIDIA is behaving like pigs; it's interesting to see such a strong reaction and hopefully that'll make some good.

I'm not sure which news is more surprising... EVGA exiting the video card business or the fact that we can suddenly get a RTX 3090 Ti for $1,080 :)

I'm probably going for something in the 40xx series - and it should be my last significant rig investment before I quit my job.

I just don't want to enter a time where I have to be very careful with my spending for a couple of years - and not have a rig that's future proof.

I'm not sure which news is more surprising... EVGA exiting the video card business or the fact that we can suddenly get a RTX 3090 Ti for $1,080 :)
It's even better than that. Gigabyte's got a 3090 Ti on Amazon for $999.

Still not worth it I think. The 4080 is probably going to cost less and be faster in a month or two...

It's even better than that. Gigabyte's got a 3090 Ti on Amazon for $999.

Still not worth it I think. The 4080 is probably going to cost less and be faster in a month or two...
I really like Gigabyte. My current card is one of theirs and so was my last card.

I agree the xx90's aren't worth it from a price vs performance standpoint. You can get a 3080 Ti now for around $800 and they're still falling in price. They'll probably be $600-$700 in a couple months.

As for the 4080, I've seen varying speculations about the price. From as low as $700 to as high as $1K - I'll wait until we have a better idea of what they're going to cost before deciding what I get.