HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Now and then the RPGWatch team gets free keys for games.
We will give them to Watchers under the following conditions:
  • The Watcher has posted at least 50 times on RPGWatch.
  • The Watcher hasn't got three keys/per year already.
  • The Watcher is committed to write a first impression/preview for the game.

50 views and noone wants to write a little first impression? Come on, guys and gals - I can recommend Planet Stronghold 2.

I'd be interested in getting a free key in return for a review but not interested in that game unfortunately. Will keep an eye on the thread.

So - do we have any first impressions?
I've been playing it on and off. I'm actually almost finished. Currently in the second to last chapter.

I think it's about as much fun as I could have with a 2D side-scroller. Anyone who likes JRPGs should definitely check it out. I'll post a more in-depth impression as soon as I finish

Man, I love most jrpg's yet I'm just not the biggest fan of side-scrolling games. I'll be curious to read what folks here think about it for certain.

Hopefully you don't mind me cut and pasting your review into this thread, Carnifex.

Planet Stronghold Two. (Review by Carnifex)

Firstly, I should mention that I never played the first game in the series, though I'm likely to change that after the positive experience I had with the second game.

The game starts off easily enough, you're tasked with basically clearing sectors on a planet and reclaiming necessary resources along the way. You've a stable of eight characters to choose from, four of which you can field at once and your bench folk get half experience. It's a fair balance, as it keeps them prepared enough to take the field if required, and at some point it likely will be. While the game starts off easy enough, I found the difficulty revved up rather quickly.

Things to keep in mind: crafting is pretty damn important. I didn't realize this at first, then when I fiddled around with it for an hour or so, I saw what amazing products could be put out. Unless you have extremely great luck, you'll likely need many crafted items during the course of your journey. Another potentially great way to earn experience/gear is doing quests along the way, some of which are timed so you'll need to be aware of that. The quest rewards can be serious upgrades, and should be a priority when you have the chance.

Even equal level opponents can be a challenge. Each battle must be taken seriously, as the opposition can crit or mass swarm one of your team in an instant. If the opponent is higher level, well, I hope you've great gear on hand, as you'll be in for a serious fight. Healing isn't difficult, you've two psi talents that can do that for you while in combat, and you can also return to base to rest, though that advances time and can cost you a few quests. The skills characters can acquire are very extensive, some of them are obvious must-haves, and others extremely situational. I do enjoy a game that makes me think along the way, and there are serious choices and consequences to be had.

Once I realized how important both the quests and crafting were, I truly started making progress. Up to that point I was running back to the base far too often, though I think over the course of the entire game I only failed one or two quests due to that mechanic.

I'm not sure what other games I'd compare this to, as it almost seems in a genre unto itself. Some parts remind me of Valkyria Chronicles, though the maps are not as robust, just very similar in how your troops function. Other features call to mind turn based goodness. There are also factions to deal with along the way, and while doing that you'll also have to maintain relations with your mates. You can romance characters as well, yet I didn't delve into that very much. All in all, for the price you'll get a solid game to play, and will likely take quite a while to complete. My advice would be to immediately study the crafting aspect, as getting that down-pat will make your journey much more enjoyable.

Sorry, I've taken a while to come up with first impressions for There is no Light.

I played a while and found my reaction was sort of squinting at the screen, scratching my chin and taking a long, deliberate sigh. I'm a bit on the fence about it.

I mean, firstly, I really don't think any of the usual suspects around these parts will want to play this game. There is the niche who like the Souls games but I can only think of one who liked Sekiro which TinL's systems most closely resemble.

The thing is, there is a Roadmap for the continued development of the game which would appear to address some areas I thought could use a little polish so I've been tempted to wait until the game is finished before passing judgement. It's technically not in Early Access, but, considering the planned changes, it sort of is. I mean, some devs will just leave games in permanent EA until they're sure nothing more will be added. Golden Krone Hotel comes to mind. I feel like once they've completed the roadmap and I give it a proper play in it's finished state I can comfortably give my opinion. But I've taken longer than I'd like, so...

In the mean time, what you can basically expect from this game is a dodge-spamming 2D Sekiro with a decent effort put into world building that gave me a similar "where the fuck do I go?" feeling, like early on in Planescape Torment, and a good/evil system that really makes you work hard to be good since using fast travel is an evil act. Chatting with NPCs can give you objectives but is most often part of the world building and good/evil system via choice of reply. I believe there are alternate endings based on your alignment but I didn't get that far.