Leoking

Kaiser
There are games I've played where the content is spread so thin and usually lacks any quality design in them that it's easy to identify them as content similar to that of an MMO, generally, these are the things that give me that "I'm playing a singleplayer MMO" feeling a lot of the times:

Homogeneous Quest Design

Quest design in MMOs share a similar structure, they'll follow a formula that's designed to keep you as engaged as possible while also taking you more out in the world and potentially discover more content and potentially inflate their sales as the more you stay engaged in the game, the more you stay in the subscription service and the more money these people get. - And while I understand that goal to some degree in an MMO as maintaining the servers is a cost that needs to be rectified somehow otherwise there won't be any game for players to enjoy (Although that game could contain custom servers but I digress), This gets tricky in singleplayer games where the idea of adding filler content to inflate playtime is less understandable because the player isn't paying monthly to launch and have fun with your game, therefore, no such reconciliation is necessary, and the overall experience should be tightly designed to contain as much possible fun content ever yet isn't as these games can be filled with quests that mirror fedex in terms of objectives, "Collect X amount of Y", "Travel to Y and Kill X", "Search for X located in Y" so and so forth.

Another issue is the dynamic systems that games introduce to fill up playtime which is procedurally generated content, the biggest example I can name that features this is Skyrim, branded under the name "Radiant quests" It's a system that dynamically generates quests based on variables like the location (being ones you haven't discovered yet) and a randomly selected objective (such as clearing beasts, forts, etc). The radiant quests were an overall success in that they succeeded in extending playtime. Still, they failed hugely in the 'fun' department as all they did was provide you with meaningless, low-effort content not to mention it's been pointed out that they highlighted a huge hole in the quest design of Bethesda's games, In Interviews, the developers were proud of their system and how excellently it deceived players into thinking they're playing through handcrafted quests as opposed to the radiant ones they were going through when in reality it's viewing it backwards; It's that the regular quests are so bland and formulaic that they appear as radiant quests and not the other way around.

Expansive but Empty Worlds

A lot of the worlds in MMOs are often made with the express purpose of making them as huge as possible so that the content could be spread evenly to provide a healthy dosage of content at regular intervals - This, again is understandable as with the features of things like Factions, zones, player outposts, hubs etc. Players can be expected to reasonably experience a ton of content even in locations that the developers haven't populated with 'things' to do because the social nature of a lot of MMOs will mellow out that issue naturally.

This brings me back to singleplayer games and how those cannot reconcile this issue due to the nature of playing alone, Companions also do not alleviate this issue as they're not players and cannot provide that sense of socialization that players will, and thus, a large world with a noticeable lack of any content in between will become immediately apparent as not only are humans exceptionally good at noticing patterns but the cycle will spring itself at every turn the more the player continues to engage in the content, take dungeons for example, in games like Dragon Age: Inquisition, a large amount of dungeons and quests that take you to those individual dungeons, take up a huge amount of the game and it'll often be the most distinct memory in every player's memory due to how much it eates up your total playtime, and your enjoyment in the process as they include a tedious amount of repetition that'll ruin any novelty or enjoyment they may've featured in the first place.

Itemization

MMOs will often entice the player with a continuous stream of glowing, rare items that provide a feedback loop of " Explore ---> Find Dungeon ---> Go through encounter after encounter through combat ---> Find exciting piece of loot with a bright background and qualities that shine green" which keeps the player going to find more good loot and experience more of the game's content through that cycle, it's one again, understood why MMOs adopt this formula because it's a good way to keep the player engaged and therefore, engaged in the game through the subscription service and both the game developers and the player win.

In singleplayer games, they'll adopt this formula because it keeps the player engaged but often copies the worst aspects of it, usually in MMOs they'll highlight the more important parts of the item's quality with simple descriptions like "20+ Poison Resistance" will give you a good idea of what that item has, even at a pure glance - games like Diablo IV while not strictly singleplayer, still adopts this formula but it often overwhelms the player rather than reward, as 9 times out of 10 it'll contain a laundry list of mechanical adjustments/enhancements that are so long and convoluted that it'll take the player a huge time to figure out what each stat represents and whether it's worth equipping despite its downsides, the latter being understandable, the former being unreasonably tedious.

Mind you, this is excluding games like Looter shooters which focus on this core idea of finding good loot and venturing forth, enhancing your build with items that compliment its overall goal, as they only follow One of these core tenets I'm talking about, and not all of them.

Do any of you have good examples as well where games gave you this overwhelming sense of "I'm playing an MMO that is disguised as a single-player RPG"?

Only one I enjoyed in the last couple of years was Stars Wars the Old Republic. Of course it has the usual MMO quests for guilds, but you can play SP campaigns.

Just a word of warning you need to spend cash to buy credits for the best gear. Though they allow weaker versions to buy for in-game money as well from merchants.

Last edited:
Do any of you have good examples as well where games gave you this overwhelming sense of "I'm playing an MMO that is disguised as a single-player RPG"?
You already mentioned Dragon Age: Inquisition. I'll add Mass Effect: Andromeda. I managed to finish it, but I felt like it really dragged on for much of the game for the same reasons you mentioned about DA:I.

I also think Kingdoms of Amalur is another good example.

Kingdoms of Amalur definitely feels like playing a SP MMO. It's easy to understand why, it was built from the beginning to be an MMO, but development shifted midway.

There was a plan for an MMO after but that was canned with the studios closure.

Last edited:
Black Desert Online gave me an overwhelming sense of "I'm playing a single-player game disguised as an MMO", if that counts.

You're talking about boring fetch quests, boring empty worlds and colour tiered loot but to me it's more about incentive to interact with other people. More specifically, interact in a friendly manner doing co-operative content. BDO has very little of that and most interaction is PVP or the marketplace for selling. It's like, the people are around but... Do they really need to be?

Apparently the answer is "No" because Crimson Desert is going to be single-player and will probably be the ultimate example of blurred lines between SP and MMO.

Nod, Kingdom of Amalur truly felt like an mmo, in all the worse ways possible. One of the many issues I had with that game, ick.

Is that game any good?
How long an answer do you want? :)

It's very addtictive and if you get into it you'll probably never exit the game since you could be doing AFK fishing or something then when you get back you can sell all the fish on the market to crafting players who make them into other stuff.

The game economy is one of the best and the item tiers are "evergreen" so your 1000000000 gold sword will keep its value AND there's no bind-on-equip so u can resell it.

You can have lots of things automated. You buy buildings and mines and workers and can automate it all to pump out goods to sell, level up and feed your workers which will actually exist in the game world and walk around doing their jobs.

You can build a boat and do bartering semi-afk while you watch youtube or something. Or get sunk by griefers and rage at your lost cargo value.

But, yeah, don't expect to actually get a top tier item any time soon because the enchanting system is rough and failed enchants can break the item. Most people just buy upgraded items on the market. Only the real hardcore players are enchanters.

You can play casually and have fun leveling a few characters, camp them near the world bosses so you can do those easily, etc. But if you want to be hardcore you pretty much need to live in the game and work hard at your craft, even if its just grinding monsters.

Also, the item mall will suck you in with the deals on a few things like carry weight and inventory slots and auto-loot pets when you get really high level and start to obsess about the efficiancy of your grinding. :)

You can still play DDO solo as well as MP and the base game is FREE.

Well, I just tried to play Black Desert, and it wouldn't start. I got some message about servers being down for maintenance. Not a great first impression. ;)

The only game I can think of that made me feel like I was playing a re-purposed MMO was Troubleshooter: Abandoned Children. Even then, it felt like it still had a lot of development time after the switch. Dragon Age: Inquisition didn't give me that feeling at all.

Several people in this thread seem to be re-interpreting the original post to mean something completely different, but as far as what the OP was actually referring to, my list would be identical to JDR13's: DA:I, ME:A, and Amalur. The 2 Bioware games were still decent anyway, though...

edit: Fallout 4 was getting dangerously close to it too, as well.

Last edited: