pibbuR who claims that 234*10^9 NOK is not enough to make him use google search.
36% of the revenue seems fine, I suppose, but I'm shocked by the absolute number. From the first article they're referring to, it looks like it could be the annual revenue Apple got at some point and not the total revenue since the deal was made.

Last October, Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella testified that the agreement between Apple and Google has made it impossible for search engines like Bing to compete. Microsoft at one point wanted Apple to buy Bing, but Apple was not interested.
This must sting since Microsoft is usually very fair when competing. ;)

Edge? Chrome? Firefox? Brave? Something else?

And the winner is:

"Hazel, who prefers not to share her last name, is what you'd call a hardcore Firefox fan and self-proclaimed "tab hoarder."
pibbuR who posted this using his current 1 tab open Firefox installation
"

PS: Said Hazel (allegedly) "recently posted a screenshot showing a mind-boggling 7,470 tabs open simultaneously in the Mozilla browser" No doubt using a ultra-ultra widescreen monitor. DS

Is it? I haven't noticed. It's good enough for me.

pibbuR who tends to not paying attention to things like that and therefore he hasn't compared it to other browsers.
Maybe it's been improved since last time I used it, which was long ago. I think the most noticeable was the videos.

Since you tested it a long time ago, perhaps better hardware makes slower software seem good enough? I assume (may be wrong) that for videos, as long as correct framerate is achieved and no hiccups, faster software won't improve things?

pibbuR who may (once again) be speaking without thinking

Last edited:
Since you tested it a long time ago, perhaps better hardware makes slower software seem good enough? I assume (may be wrong) that for videos, as long as correct framerate is achieved and no hiccups, faster software won't improve things?

pibbuR who may (once again) be speaking without thinking
I've downloaded it to try again, who knows. I like Brave because it hides all the annoying cookie pop-ups and (hopefully) defaults to accepting essentials only; those pop-ups are the most annoying thing when browsing.

A quick check shows FF tends to use slightly more memory and more CPU vs less GPU when playing videos, compared to Chrome, but I didn't find anything really shocking.

On the other hand, it's getting some Rust code, so there's that. ;)

I haven't used Firefox in years. I'm too lazy these days to worry about which browser I'm using as long as it works well. I know a lot of people don't like Chrome because they feel like it's less private or whatever, but that's all I've used now for the last 5 or so years. I often have 30+ tabs open, and it's never glitched or slowed down for me.

For those of you clinging to seemingly but perhaps not outdated machinery:

pibbuR who after this, and having all the time in the world since retiring, realizes his old, still in the household but who-knows-if-it's-still-working, CP/M machine may put to use again.

I've posted about floppies before.

"When an idea for a new piece of music begins swirling in Espen Kraft's mind, he turns to one of his many boxes of floppy disks. Flipping open the lid, the musician and YouTuber from Norway stares down at rows of colourful plastic squares inside. His fingers browse across them, as fast as lightning. "Bass sound from Moog" reads one label."

pibbuR who still have floppies, possibly also equipment to read them, somewhere in his (unorganized) storage facilities.

I have a couple of linux installations on virtualbox for windows, but i certainly will try this one.

pibbuR who thinks that having 10 os installations is twice a funny as having 5.
I'm always confused and lost in all their products. I remember trying VMWare Player, which seems to be a simpler product, maybe limited to one machine at a time?

From what I understood, VMWare could be a little more performant than VirtualBox in some cases, or at least it used to be a couple of years ago, but I prefer VirtualBox for its user-friendliness (which is a strange thing to say about an Oracle product). Yes, it's a lot of fun, and it's very handy. :)

I never quite understood this whole virtualization thing when it comes to servers, though. I do understand it's easier to clone and backup than a physical server, but I have the impression admins are abusing them so they have more time to eat donuts. It's like felling a lot of trees for only a few toothpicks. We have whole VMs just for basic, file-based internal web servers or other intermittent jobs that could more easily fit on Docker containers. But I'm no expert...

I'm always confused and lost in all their products. I remember trying VMWare Player, which seems to be a simpler product, maybe limited to one machine at a time?
The biggest distinction originally (not sure if this has changed) was that you could run a pre-existing VM with Player but could only create new VMs from Workstation. Back in the day, I would create the VMs in Workstation then deploy them to our users (for whom we only had Player licenses) afterwards.

From what I understood, VMWare could be a little more performant than VirtualBox in some cases, or at least it used to be a couple of years ago, but I prefer VirtualBox for its user-friendliness (which is a strange thing to say about an Oracle product). Yes, it's a lot of fun, and it's very handy. :)
VMware Workstation on Linux has been a mess forever if you use anything other than long-term stable distros (eg RHEL, Ubuntu LTS). Just about every new kernel update seems to break the two kernel modules that VMware has to compile, and requires you to either boot from an old kernel, or look for 3rd party fixes (I use https://github.com/mkubecek/vmware-host-modules), which may or may not be available yet. After 10-15 years of that, I finally got tired of it this year and switched to VirtualBox, which never has any such problems, since it's usually packaged with your distro. It's missing some features that I don't care about, oh well.

I assume it's a much better situation if your host is Windows.

The biggest distinction originally (not sure if this has changed) was that you could run a pre-existing VM with Player but could only create new VMs from Workstation. Back in the day, I would create the VMs in Workstation then deploy them to our users (for whom we only had Player licenses) afterwards.
Oh, right. Now that you mention it, I must have used Workstation. I only said Player because that's the only installer I see in my download directory.

I've only tried VMWare once recently and didn't have any problem with Windows, but it was less easily configurable. I never had any problem with VirtualBox on Windows, though the mouse and display integration with the host isn't always perfect, depending on the distribution. Sometimes, it requires some fiddling.

Good to know about using them with Linux as a host.

Edge? Chrome? Firefox? Brave? Something else?

And the winner is:

pibbuR who posted this using his current 1 tab open Firefox installation"

I sure don't want my browser deciding to automatically close my open tabs. I keep tabs open because I intend to go back to them.