The developer's blog of Pegasus Mail on OAUTH2 : https://www.pmail.com/devnews.htm
It's an very interesting read, imho ...

The number of Pegasus Mail users must be very small ... It never gets mentioned in the "mail client" tests and aricles of my subscribed IT magazine ... regardless, I'm using it for 30 years now, in so many variantion : I began using the NetWare version at university, and that was a DOS version ...

"We are likely looking at over 50 million active lines of code to open a garage door "

There are two methods in software design. One is to make the program so simple, there are obviously no errors. The other is to make it so complicated, there are no obvious errors.

pibbuR who realizes reducing biological bloat also has benefits.

PS: Regarding the 50 million lines of code - he may be exaggerating, but it does include external libraries.DS

pibbuR who realizes reducing biological bloat also has benefits.
It's a nice analogy. :) Maybe all the bloat in our ADN is not unlike everything we find in the Android libraries after its evolution and due to the fact it has to support two genders and so many different species - err, I mean so many different devices and OS versions (it's probably the same for Javascript but I'm not familiar with it).

This whole mess hasn't been written at once, nor by one single team, and technology has also become more complicated. It's why those things happen. I wonder if the only alternative wouldn't be nothing happening at all or something becoming quickly obsolete and forgotten.

Hm. They can paint it as they like, but it's still one more step to make us dumber and more dependent.

Jetbrains published interesting numbers from a poll, not long ago. Unfortunately, they don't tell how many answers they got in each category. The questions were about the use of AI, but there were more general questions like 'how enjoyable do you find these activities?', 'how simple ...', etc.

As as programmer I always like learning new languages.

pibbuR who is troubled by this: "a 7 billion-parameter model trained by Hugging Face" which he suppose is more commonly known as the face hugger.

PS. I want a list, but couldn't find one. I would like to know if it supports Ook. DS

Last edited:
Here's quicksort implemented in Ook using chat-gpt4 (allegedly - I haven't verified it):

ad5b6d59-22ec-476c-8b47-98854ee60224.jpg

pibbuR who is not an orangutan

Last edited:
For those of you unfamiliar with the Ook language, here are the highlights.

1. It's an esoteric programming language mostly made for fun.
  2. It's derived from Brainfuck (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brainfuck), and as such consists of 8 commands (plus one extra) which basically just moves a pointer forwards and backwards and manipulates the values in the cells it points to.
  3. It's Turing complete, and thus can be used for programming "Hello World" (and BTW anything a computer can do). However...
  4. ... it's not very practical.
  5. Despite this, there is an .net interpreter. Ook#
  6. It's inspired by the librarian at the Unseen University in the Discworld novels. He's an orangutan, and can only say "Ook", but those around him understand him nonetheless. In this respect he's comparable to Groot.
  7. It consists of only pairs of the "Ook" modified by appending ".", "!" and "?".
  8. It's not separately documented on Wikipedia, but you can find all about it here: https://esolangs.org/wiki/Ook!

pibbuR who hasn't written any Ook programs, but of course certainly is considering doing that right now.

Maybe ChatGPT can also interpret Ook and simulate a few tests of the quicksort algorithm. ;)
Sounds like an interesting language but there's always so much complexity I can handle. I'll skip for now.

About GitHub, I'm sometimes wondering if it's time to move to GitLab... Maybe I'll give it a try. GitHub is so well integrated everywhere, though.

I'm a beginner-to-intermediate C# programmer and I'm finally taking the plunge to try to learn Unity. I'm going through a "how to make an RPG in Unity" tutorial right now which has been pretty informative and helpful in learning the Unity interface. The whole "visual programming" aspect of Unity is throwing me off a bit, as coding in that way is entirely new to me. Hopefully as I get deeper into working with Unity I'll learn how the scripting and visual stuff mesh together. If anyone has any Unity insights or tips, feel free to comment, I can always use the help!

Another programming language:

Should be of special interest to Ozzies and encourage days long test based programming spells.

pibbuR who once considered making a programming language, based on the gnomes of World of Warcraft.

It's pretty amazing that we're still able to communicate with these two probes at all, especially given that they were built using early-to-mid-1970's technology, they are in interstellar space, and they are over 45 years old!

Stroustrup is not happy:

Modern C++ has features that are more memory safe than vintage C++. I assume it's still not as strong as for instance Rust. Besides, you can still use the old ways.

pibbuR who won't discuss what mr. Trump will order if he rises to power again.

Honestly didn't see this coming:

Obviously I was wrong, because:
"Although oft-considered a legacy language, Cobol still enjoys LOTS of use, with as many as 80 billion lines of the stuff still out there, one estimate goes. [I knew that] The most amazing part is that it is still growing, by 15% a year. [I certainly didn't know that]"

pibbuR who is not going to replace C++ with Cobol.