I've never bothered to check out any of the newer Ghostbusters movies. For me, that series will stay in the 80's where it belongs.
I have yet to watch the latest one, but I thoroughly recommend 2021's Afterlife. It was really well done - and a wonderful sendoff to Harold Ramis.

I have yet to watch the latest one, but I thoroughly recommend 2021's Afterlife. It was really well done - and a wonderful sendoff to Harold Ramis.
I skipped Afterlife because it seemed like the cast was mostly kids. How does Ramis factor in? Didn't he pass a long time ago? I noticed he's listed in the cast.

Yeah, I feel the same way about Ghostbusters and why I didn't check out Afterlife when it first released. I'm gonna suck it up though and give it a chance, likely sometime this weekend.

Just got done streaming Argylle. Where to begin... When I saw the trailer in theaters, it blew me away - it was so well done that I was dying to see the movie. And that's about the only highlight. Well, that and Henry Cavill with a mullet.

It was so gratuitously cheesy and ridiculous that I tuned out after the first half hour. Lots of dead bodies that fall over, [imo] miscasting of Bryce Dallas Howard, and a terribly cliche story to wrap it all up. I wanted to love the film, but I had to force myself to finish watching.

4/10.

And it took me two viewings yet I finished the fourth Ghostbusters film last night, and it was a seriously mixed bag for me. What I really wanted out of the film was to revisit the old cast and see them after forty years, with all the baggage that might go along with that. The new cast was ok, and fortunately I got some of what I really desired near the end, and especially during after the credits were rolling. I would watching another two hours if I get five minutes of the old cast. And it's much better than the 2016 film, imo. For me I'd rank the series thusly: First, second, fourth, third.

Just got done streaming Argylle. Where to begin... When I saw the trailer in theaters, it blew me away - it was so well done that I was dying to see the movie. And that's about the only highlight. Well, that and Henry Cavill with a mullet.

It was so gratuitously cheesy and ridiculous that I tuned out after the first half hour. Lots of dead bodies that fall over, [imo] miscasting of Bryce Dallas Howard, and a terribly cliche story to wrap it all up. I wanted to love the film, but I had to force myself to finish watching.

4/10.
I couldn't disagree more and I went in thinking it would be an awful Long Kiss Goodnight remake and I'd hate it. It ended up being the most fun movie I've seen in a long, long time. It started out bad but got better and better. You didn't like the choregraphed dance firefight? Or the figure skating fight?

It started out bad but got better and better. You didn't like the choregraphed dance firefight? Or the figure skating fight?
Pretty sure we're polar opposites :p

Started off ok (ie., the content somewhat shown in the trailer) but got progressively worse. I was cringing at the scenes you noted.

I couldn't agree more with this quote from the 'featured review' on imdb:
I wanted to like it, but there's this feeling of waiting for something spectacular to happen, that doesn't. It starts to become predictable and cheesy and you just want it to be over... but there's still an hour left

I was in a mood for something stupid, and a little nostalgic since I liked this as a teenager, and I rewatched American Pie. Then I watched the other 3 ones. Stupid, but some parts I still enjoyed. For some reason Stifler is still an enjoyable idiot.

I followed those up with starting a marathon of the Fast and Furious movies. I think I only saw the first 3 of them, a lot time ago.
Stupid, but I was in the mood for something braindead. And I'm now curious to watch the rest since I hear they get all the more insane as they got released.

I was in a mood for something stupid, and a little nostalgic since I liked this as a teenager, and I rewatched American Pie. Then I watched the other 3 ones. Stupid, but some parts I still enjoyed. For some reason Stifler is still an enjoyable idiot.

I followed those up with starting a marathon of the Fast and Furious movies. I think I only saw the first 3 of them, a lot time ago.
Stupid, but I was in the mood for something braindead. And I'm now curious to watch the rest since I hear they get all the more insane as they got released.
I think I've seen all the American Pie movies. Yeah, they're stupid, but sometimes that's what you need. Some scenes still crack me up. Lots with Stifler, and Stifler's mom, bandcamp, and the actual... uh... American Pie scene.

I've only seen the first Fast and Furious. It was brainless fun, but I haven't had the desire to explore the franchise any further. I understand they get a bit silly after a while.

But there ain't nothing wrong with a bit of popcorn to balance out the more substantial stuff. (y)

Watched a film the other day. Or rather ... watched 10 minutes of it: "My Norwegian Holiday". I didn't like it, although they did visit my home town, Bergen, and they did make fun of a few Norwegian stereotypes. But there was another reason, which I will come back to.

What puzzled me was the number of very positive user reviews on sites like Metacritic. I accept of course that there are different tastes, but for this one ..? Turns out it's a Hallmark movie (never heard about those before), and the general opinion (as I remember it) among those who liked it was that it was very good for a Hallmark movie. OK.

I also noticed a lot of 1 star reviews. And those were mostly from Norwegians, and here's why: They tried to speak Norwegian, even the Bergen dialect which I subscribe to. But there were no Norwegian actors and it shows. Ouch!!! It hurts.

One of the positive reviewers wrote (as I remembered it) something like "I suppose I would have given it 1 star if I was Norwegian. But I'm American". No, I'm not claiming that Americans have poor taste (they do - JUST JOKING).

I wouldn't mind if the dialogue was all in English, even if the action takes place almost completely in Norway. But if you want Norwegian speech, please use actors that know the language. There are several other examples of this unfortunate practice. One particular cringe-worthy episode of X-files comes to mind (there is BTW no Norwegian towns called "Tildeskan").

Now, there are a few examples of non-native actors speaking Norwegian just fine (at least acceptable). In the beginning of John Carpenter's the thing, a dog is chased by an angry, yelling Norwegian. The actor is not Norwegian, but the pronunciation is IMO not perfect, but fairly good,

We also had the HBO Norwegian TV series "Beforeigners". One of the main characters is played by the Finnish actress Krista Kosonen. She doesn't know Norwegian, but she memorized her lines thoroughly without necessarily understanding them. There is an accent, but her character (Alfhildr) comes from the Viking period, so some accent is to be expected. Besides, her pronunciation of Old Norwegian is just as good as mine.

In another film, "De dødes tjern" ("Lake of Death) the dialog is in Norwegian. But one characer is played by the brithish actor Patrick Walshe McBride. He gets aways with it because his character is mute.

pibbuR

PS. I assume that when Norwegian actors perform in English films/TV the result can also sometimes be embarassing. The 13th JDR mentioned a Norwegian comedy(?) series (don't remember the the name). The episodes are filmed in two versions, one with Norwegian dialog and one in English. In my ears there is a very distinct East Norwegian accent in the English part. DS.

Last edited:
PS. I assume that when Norwegian actors perform in English films/TV the result can also sometimes be embarassing. The 13th JDR mentioned a Norwegian comedy(?) series (don't remember the the name). The episodes are filmed in two versions, one with Norwegian dialog and one in English. In my ears there is a very distinct East Norwegian accent in the English part. DS.
Norsemen :)

Now, there are a few examples of non-native actors speaking Norwegian just fine (at least acceptable).
Interesting stuff. This is off topic but is anyone familiar with the song 'Prisencolinensinainciusol' by Italian singer Adriano Celentano? In came out in the 70s and was all just English sounding gibberish. Pretty good song too.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQDY3HFkh_Y