Lebanon Diary

Their views on Obama are interesting. Here's a question - what are their views of the average American? Do they generally view us as "good guys" who..I don't know, are the under the control of some super evil zionist government? I'm just curious if "the street" draws any distinctions between our people and our government.

Nice feeling of immediacy to the personal encounters; hashish actually is a good remedy for stomach upsets, but most opiates commonly induce nausea--not that I would know, of course.

Looking forward to you getting your situation squared away so you're able to post a few pics eventually as well. I'm not very good at visualizing streets and harbors and things. Good to hear the feedback about the president--I think we have the same fears about his life here--only not the from the Zionists.

@dte: yeah, Pearl's is excellent, though it's not as good as it used to be. It's become a bit yupped out. But the gumbo, red beans and rice and that pecan-crusted trout are still worth the trip. Applewood's is now defunct, though.:raincloud:

Their views on Obama are interesting. Here's a question - what are their views of the average American? Do they generally view us as "good guys" who..I don't know, are the under the control of some super evil zionist government? I'm just curious if "the street" draws any distinctions between our people and our government.

They most definitely do. People everywhere tend to assume that things everywhere work more or less like what they're used to. Lebanese are used to a dysfunctional, often irrational government that's under the sway of small elites and outside forces, with regular people just trying to get by as best they can despite it. They're also used to alliances and political constellations that shift extremely quickly -- take Michel Aoun, for example: he fought a bitter war against the Syrians, and was subsequently exiled by them; now he's their main Christian ally. Their working assumption about the USA is that it's more or less the same, only bigger. (Can't say that you've done much to disabuse them of that notion over the past few years either.)

What's more, they have a much better idea of what living in America is like than most of you guys have about what living in Lebanon is like -- because almost all of them know someone who has lived there or is living there now, and a good many have been there themselves.

The Hezbollah constituency is another matter, though. They do look to Iran rather than the USA, and despite the fact that they, too, have a good many contacts there, many of the rural, poorer Shi'ites do have a genuine dislike for and deep distrust of America as a country and Americans as people. If you're considering visiting Lebanon, you'll be perfectly safe and warmly welcomed almost everywhere -- but I won't vouch for Nabatiyeh, Bint Jbeil, Beka'a, or Beirut's South Suburbs. I think that with Obama, they're willing to give you a chance to show that something has really changed, but they're not swooning at your feet the same way the rest of the country is doing.

I'm still a bit disoriented by the normalacy. The country just ain't that big to contain a warzone and an area completely devoid of any signs of war.

Actually, "class war" is a very significant dimension in the neverending Lebanese conflicts. The most acute internal problem there right now is Hezbollah's armed wing, and the reason nobody seems to be able to solve it is that there's no trust on either side. The reason for that is that Hezbollah's constituency always was the underclass that got fucked over by everybody else. The "feudal Shi'ites" fit into the dominant system just fine; it's the ignorant peasants that were the problem. Imam Moussa Sadr's movement was very much a class movement, even if its expression was religious. Now that they've armed, organized, and found their own sources of support (Iran), they can't be kept down anymore. They also believe (with some justification IMO) that should they disarm or allow their militia to be absorbed into the Lebanse army, the better-off parts of the population will immediately start to fuck them over once again. IOW, they won't do that until and unless they trust the government again.

So yeah, it is sectarian, but it's also class-based. What's more, religious sectarianism has historically been the main mode of expression for class or local particularism. If you're pissed off at The Man, you start a religion expressing exactly how you feel about him, and what should be done about it. That's how most of the sects got there in the first place.

The same goes for the Palestinians in Lebanon, btw -- they're extremely pissed off because they've been fenced off in crowded, squalid refugee camps, with no civil rights, nothing to lose, and no future. That's very fertile soil for extremism. (And yes, IMO the best thing for all concerned would be just to naturalize them in exchange for getting them to disband their militias. But good luck convincing any Lebanese of this!)

You bring up an interesting point there... What are the conditions of the Palestinians' refugee camps compared to the Palestinians in the West Bank and/or Gaza?

They most definitely do. People everywhere tend to assume that things everywhere work more or less like what they're used to. Lebanese are used to a dysfunctional, often irrational government that's under the sway of small elites and outside forces, with regular people just trying to get by as best they can despite it. They're also used to alliances and political constellations that shift extremely quickly -- take Michel Aoun, for example: he fought a bitter war against the Syrians, and was subsequently exiled by them; now he's their main Christian ally. Their working assumption about the USA is that it's more or less the same, only bigger. (Can't say that you've done much to disabuse them of that notion over the past few years either.)
Makes a lot of sense. It's good to get an inside view of Lebanon (all the people I've talked to from the region have been military officers or government officials.)

What's more, they have a much better idea of what living in America is like than most of you guys have about what living in Lebanon is like -- because almost all of them know someone who has lived there or is living there now, and a good many have been there themselves.
That's good to know - I've heard from people in the region before that the view of America is basically...well, what we show on TVs. Everyone is rich and famous and has sex all the time and there are massive gun battles in our streets every day.

The Hezbollah constituency is another matter, though. They do look to Iran rather than the USA, and despite the fact that they, too, have a good many contacts there, many of the rural, poorer Shi'ites do have a genuine dislike for and deep distrust of America as a country and Americans as people. If you're considering visiting Lebanon, you'll be perfectly safe and warmly welcomed almost everywhere -- but I won't vouch for Nabatiyeh, Bint Jbeil, Beka'a, or Beirut's South Suburbs. I think that with Obama, they're willing to give you a chance to show that something has really changed, but they're not swooning at your feet the same way the rest of the country is doing.
That's good to know. I'd like to visit the Middle East at some point, money and time allowing, but one of my worries has honestly been about whether I'd get stoned on the street or kidnapped unless I claim to be from Canada, eeeeehhhhh?

I'm still a bit disoriented by the normalacy. The country just ain't that big to contain a warzone and an area completely devoid of any signs of war.

But it is! My wife grew up there during the civil war. As a teenager she was sunning herself at the Sporting Club with Top of the Pops hits on the boombox, with the clatter of automatic weapons fire echoing faintly from the Green Line about a mile and a half away. Right now, the Lebanese Army is conducting something that looks an awful lot like a low-key war against the Ja'afari tribe in the West Bekaa, even as the bold and the beautiful live it up in night clubs of Beirut. A year ago, when the Hezb took over Beirut and fought an actual shooting war against Jumblatt's militia in the Chouf, I phoned my inlaws in Safra to ask if they're OK -- and they were busy digging into a cheesecake they'd just bought from across the street.

That's probably the single thing that still blows my mind about the country every time I go there -- it's incredibly small, but incredibly diverse and compartmentalized, and war is, generally speaking, highly localized -- I think that's why the indiscriminate bombing in 2006 upset people so much, because the IAF hit so many places that had nothing to do with any Hezb activity whatsoever.

That's good to know. I'd like to visit the Middle East at some point, money and time allowing, but one of my worries has honestly been about whether I'd get stoned on the street or kidnapped unless I claim to be from Canada, eeeeehhhhh?

Well, in Yemen they tend to kidnap tourists for shits and giggles, but I don't think you'd have any real trouble in most other places that aren't in an actual state of war.

Like everywhere, there are bad neighborhoods you want to stay out of, of course.

April 11: Saturday Night in Beirut

We were planning to do a pilgrimage to Our Lady of Lebanon in Harissa – i.e., a hike up the closest mountain with a hikeable path. For some reason, though, Aune decided it was a bad idea, and we decided to go running in Aamchit instead. According to Yolante, a friend and a former neighbor, there's a place there that's good for running, by the sea, at the end of a small road that goes between the fields.

There were about 35 such roads. Since we didn't even know exactly what we were looking for, we didn't find it, whatever it is. So we ended up driving back to Jbeil (twice through completely blocked traffic), and running on the breakwater near the old port. Typical – sit in a car for two hours to be able to run back and forth on a breakwater for twenty-five minutes. Jbeil was full of schoolchildren on excursion; some of them, from Zahle according to the text on the bus, had apparently never seen a running blond before, because they took my photo every time I ran past.

After midnight.

We went to meet Doris and Tania in a restaurant in Gemmayze. Gemmayze is the happening place in Beirut right now. It's pretty much one street heading north from Martyrs' Square, just by the Paul bakery and café. It's proudly advertised as being a street with “traditional character.” It gets decidedly more traditional the further you go, with too-narrow sidewalks often blocked up by trash bags, Ferraris, pre-civil-war-vintage dinged-up Renaults, and clutches of fashionable teenagers and twentysomethings. Manaqish grills and popular eateries alternate with flashy in-spots. Since the electricity is out (except for the floodlights on Hariri's enormous mosque by Martyrs' Square, of course), it's also very dark, and there's a real risk of stepping into some traditional character if you're not careful.

The place was named Sepia. It was hard to find and packed to the gills, with an interior design that was flashy but impractical, food that was indifferent but overpriced, the music eclectic but loud, and there were only three seats for a reservation for four. When asking for another chair elicited no reaction whatsoever, we just took one from the next table. Then the staff demanded that we put it back. It took a certain amount of yelling to get this little problem sorted out (according to Joanna, they thought I was French, so that was OK), but eventually everybody in the room had a chair, except for one table that had none. (The people who had reserved it showed up too late to get any chairs of their own, so they left in a huff.)

That was a disappointment; on previous visits, the eating in Beirut has been good to excellent. Plus there was a group in the next table that spent the entire evening taking flash photos of each other, which got rather irritating as well.

Anyway, Doris is working freelance in Beirut. She still doesn't have Lebanese citizenship because her father's Dutch, although there is a movement trying to make it possible for Lebanese women to transmit citizenship to their children (currently only the father can do that). Carlos is still in Dubai, still holding onto his job, but very uncertain about how long – the crisis has hit there particularly badly, and the construction business being what it is, on-site architects are suddenly not in all that much demand. But she seemed a great deal happier than the last time we met, certainly because of her engagement with Carlos. The sadness that she somehow always seemed to be carrying was gone.

The evening in Beirut downtown is pretty unique, more so for easter.

You have your usual hubbub of cafés and bars and restaurants, the young, bold, and beautiful going out to see and be seen. When darkness falls, the mu'ezzins start their chants, one mosque at a time. To add Lebanese flavor, at that very instant we almost got trampled by a clutch of fashionable teenagers, the leading lady of which had TEASE picked out in pink sequins across her rather skimpy top. Then he church bells across the street ring in response, with the Easter mass piped onto the streets for good measure. Crazy traffic along recently-renovated, broad, new avenues, where somebody forgot to put in pedestrian crossings. One new way to cross the street in Beirut: wait for a bunch of nuns to show up and use their God power to miraculously stop the traffic, then cross with them.

I really don't get the Beiruti taste for an evening out. What happened to good food, a homelike atmosphere, welcoming service, and reasonable prices? Or, alternatively, great music, dancing, and general partying? Wherever they are, standing compressed like sardines in an overpriced, overdesigned eatery isn't it.

Every anarcho-capitalist should be forced to come live in Lebanon for a while. Here you can see first-hand what happens to power generation when there's no grid; security when there's no national army; traffic when there are no traffic rules. Meaning, solutions will appear, but they'll rarely be very good or efficient ones – a stinky, polluting, expensive diesel generator in every house, a militia for every sect, tribe, group, or, eventually, block, and traffic that flows like a flock of sheep, with honks instead of baas. Amazingly, only about 500 traffic fatalities a year – I chalk this up to the permanent traffic jam, which makes for pretty low speeds.

Speaking of, I know I'll finally have mastered driving in Lebanon when everybody stops complimenting me for it. Right now I'm feeling more like the dog that impresses everybody by walking on two legs – it's not that he does it particularly well; it's that he does it at all.

I manage reasonably so far, though. I haven't killed anybody, I've gotten us where we want to go, and I don't appear to make my passengers unduly nervous, nor attract more than the usual quota of honks and yells. Here's what I've learned so far:

1.If there's space ahead of you, you can move into it.
2.No sudden movements.
3.To go from one side of the road to the other in packed-solid traffic, just sort of drift casually, and it'll go fine. The same goes for merging into a crowded motorway from a parking lot next to it.
4.Turn signals just confuse people.
5.When in doubt, honk. Or stick your hand out the window and gesticulate.

Joanna figures Lebanese traffic is an example of swarm intelligence. I think there's something to that notion. The traffic really is like a crowd of people in a railway station, where everybody's on the move, but mostly avoids bumping into each other anyway. It's very reactive and flexible. Also horribly inefficient and feels like you're tap-dancing on the edge of a knife, but somehow it manages to sort itself out, even in absurd situations like two motorways intersecting with no traffic lights, yielding rules, or what have you. (OK, to be fair, they did rebuild that particular intersection since our last visit; it's now on two levels.)

The only way it could be worse, though, is if the roads were much emptier and the speeds were much higher. Which they are, of course, at night: that's when you get big, fast cars hurtling past you on both sides at meteoric speeds.

You bring up an interesting point there... What are the conditions of the Palestinians' refugee camps compared to the Palestinians in the West Bank and/or Gaza?

I have no first-hand knowledge of this -- I've never visited a Palestinian refugee camp in Lebanon, nor the West Bank or Gaza. The camps are not regarded as safe; most embassies have travel advisories advising their citizens to avoid going near them. The closest I've been to one is in Tyre, where there's one just across the Roman Hippodrome ruins.

From what I've gathered, the conditions are similar to Gaza. IOW, bad. The camps are crowded, unsafe, with poor sanitation, no building standards, patchy electricity, and minimal social services. They're similar to third-world slums like the shantytowns in Brazil, although perhaps not *quite* that grim.

Lebanese treat Palestinians much the same way as Israelis -- the range runs from outright hostility to hand-wringing sympathy, with only very few and very exceptional individuals doing anything concrete for them. The Lebanese civil war started when a Kataeb (Christian) militia ambushed a bus carrying Palestinian civilians in Ain el-Remmaneh, and massacred them all; the Sabra and Shatila massacres are other examples of the extremes to which some people there are ready to go.

The restrictions on movement aren't as strict -- people come and go relatively freely, although there are checkpoints at the camp entrances --, but there are very significant restrictions on how and where they can work; e.g. a non-Lebanese can't have a contract of employment with a Lebanese; he can only work "freelance" as it is. Their only support comes from the UNRWA and international networks supporting Fatah, Hamas, and the other political organizations active in the camps, which keep order, maintain schools and minimal health and sanitation services, and what have you.

As things currently stand, the camps are hotbeds of extremism, crime, and all kinds of nastiness. The Nahr al-Bared war a couple of years ago showed just how bad things can get -- the fighting went on for weeks, and there were hundreds of casualties on both sides.

There have been sporadic clashes, but there's nothing like a concerted, continuous conflict at this time. There were wars fought between Lebanese and Palestinian militias during the civil war, but no major action since the 1988 war between PLO and Amal (unless you count the Nahr el-Bared thing as major). Lately, violence has been more intra-Palestinian than Palestinian on Lebanese or Lebanese on Palestinian; the recent car bombing that killed Kamal Medhat being a case in point. [ http://www.upi.com/Top_News/2009/03/23/Lebanon-car-bomb-kills-Fatah-official/UPI-87571237844905/ ]

The danger posed by the camps is that they're full of angry young men organized into groups that can serve as cat's paws for regional players. When tensions go up, it's very easy to arrange violent incidents that can quickly escalate, in particular by lobbing stuff over the southern border -- and it can be quite hard to figure out exactly who's responsible.

Would you know why they don't ask the same thing of Lebanon as the Palestinian's in Gaza or the West Bank are demanding ? i.e.: Own state in some part of Lebanon, more freedom, forgot how it's called, but to be made citizens of Lebanon, etc.

Would you know why they don't ask the same thing of Lebanon as the Palestinian's in Gaza or the West Bank are demanding ? i.e.: Own state in some part of Lebanon, more freedom, forgot how it's called, but to be made citizens of Lebanon, etc.
Because Palestine is their home, of course. Why should they claim a part of a foreign country, when they have been diplaced from their country?
Edit: And why should the people in that foreign country give up parts of their country?

Saturday Night in Beirut
Enjoyed the whole entry. I think the nightlife trend you describe toward overpriced, overcrowded, loud and flashy nightspots is pretty universal if my tv machine is correct (--I don't get out much,personally.) The whole trend in entertainment these days is toward overstimulation and under-reward, imo.
I also think Joanna nailed it on the swarm mentality of traffic. I've often noticed it's the vehicles where the driver, usually due to some form of altered state, breaks the migratory-like flow which seem to cause the system to malfunction.

The simple answer is -- because they're from Palestine, not from Lebanon. They want to go back home, not be resettled somewhere else.

It's more complex than that, as usual. For example, suppose that, say, the Ain el-Helweh camp would suddenly decide to demand naturalization. What would happen? First off, the Fatah and Hamas organizations active in the camp would clamp down on any such foolishness very quickly -- they take their orders from Ramallah and Gaza (or Damascus) respectively. If they somehow managed to shrug off the Fatah and Hamas, they'd find themselves cut off entirely from the network of international Islamic charities that are a main source of their income -- these networks would see them as traitors to the cause, and would cut them loose. The same goes to the Lebanese groups immediately surrounding them: the Hezbollah doesn't want them in Lebanon (which is one reason it's so adamant in fighting Israel), and would cut off support or even initiate military action against them. And finally, all the political groupings in Lebanon, regardless of orientation, would scream bloody murder. IOW, they would lose on every front.

I'm pretty sure, though, that should the Israeli-Palestinian conflict ever be resolved, naturalization of some Palestinian refugees in the countries they currently live would have to be a part of the package. If only a part of the refugees stayed, third parties picked up at least a part of the cost of settling them properly, and the outcome was a stable order in the region, I think it might fly. But in isolation, it's about as likely as Israeli Jews deciding to return en masse to Poland, leaving the place to the Arabs.

Because Palestine is their home, of course. Why should they claim a part of a foreign country, when they have been diplaced from their country?
Edit: And why should the people in that foreign country give up parts of their country?

First off, the Palestinians did just that in Jordan until the king killed 10 thousand of them or something.
Second, if not a country, why not naturalization, in your opinion ? (as in, I'm a refugee, living in some aweful camp, if I get citizenship I can leave this camp...)

Your second question applies to anyone and everyone in the world which has a group in its country asking for some form of independence.

I really don't get the Beiruti taste for an evening out. What happened to good food, a homelike atmosphere, welcoming service, and reasonable prices? Or, alternatively, great music, dancing, and general partying? Wherever they are, standing compressed like sardines in an overpriced, overdesigned eatery isn't it.

What did you mean by this ? You didn't enjoy Beirut ?

It sounds like everything is really nice and fun. What happened that was wrong ? Or did I miss something ?

The simple answer is -- because they're from Palestine, not from Lebanon. They want to go back home, not be resettled somewhere else.

It's more complex than that, as usual. For example, suppose that, say, the Ain el-Helweh camp would suddenly decide to demand naturalization. What would happen? First off, the Fatah and Hamas organizations active in the camp would clamp down on any such foolishness very quickly -- they take their orders from Ramallah and Gaza (or Damascus) respectively. If they somehow managed to shrug off the Fatah and Hamas, they'd find themselves cut off entirely from the network of international Islamic charities that are a main source of their income -- these networks would see them as traitors to the cause, and would cut them loose. The same goes to the Lebanese groups immediately surrounding them: the Hezbollah doesn't want them in Lebanon (which is one reason it's so adamant in fighting Israel), and would cut off support or even initiate military action against them. And finally, all the political groupings in Lebanon, regardless of orientation, would scream bloody murder. IOW, they would lose on every front.

I'm pretty sure, though, that should the Israeli-Palestinian conflict ever be resolved, naturalization of some Palestinian refugees in the countries they currently live would have to be a part of the package. If only a part of the refugees stayed, third parties picked up at least a part of the cost of settling them properly, and the outcome was a stable order in the region, I think it might fly. But in isolation, it's about as likely as Israeli Jews deciding to return en masse to Poland, leaving the place to the Arabs.

So they're basically stuck in their camps, since no one wants to let them out or in depending on what faction. What does the Lebanese government think ? And why isn't there some group acting out against it ?

So they're basically stuck in their camps, since no one wants to let them out or in depending on what faction. What does the Lebanese government think ? And why isn't there some group acting out against it ?

Yup, they're stuck all right -- ever since 1948 or 1967. The Lebanese government wants them out of Lebanon and back in Palestine/Israel, which is just about the only thing it agrees about. As to why there aren't (m)any groups acting out against it, that's pretty simple too -- most people who care about Palestinians want to see a just solution to the conflict in Israel-Palestine, and want to resolve the refugee problem in that context.

Put another way, consider this analogy: suppose there was a sudden upheaval in Romania, and 300,000 gypsies fled to Belgium. What would your reaction be?

I would suspect that your reaction would be fairly straightforward -- set up temporary camps for them to see that they don't freeze or starve, and then do everything you can to pressure Romania into sorting out whatever caused them to flee so they can go back home. If your impulse would instead be to welcome them with open arms, give the citizenship, and help them start new lives there, I would salute you, since that would make you a better person than most. (Me, for example.)

Back
Top Bottom