SW:TOR - No Homosexuality

This is a bit of an interesting question, actually.

Because bigotry is about power relations. Being prejudiced against a hegemonic group is not as pernicious as being prejudiced against a subjugated group. Both are bad, of course, but one is worse than the other -- which is why 'bigotry' doesn't quite ring true when applied to anti-Americanism; 'prejudice' sounds better.

What's prejudiced about stating the fact that a large percentage of americans are fat? Do we need to count each and everyone ourselves?

I wasn't commenting on that specific instance; I was making a general observation.

(Now who's reading stuff into a text that isn't there? ;) )

I do not think 300 million people lose sleep over my sometimes politically incorrect jokes about them. Do not act all wounded about it.

Maybe try working on your timing then. It made no sense when you did it, and it was obvious that the only reason you did it was because there were Americans who were not agreeing with your opinion at the time.

For instance, I didn't suddenly jump from the homosexuality topic to talk about how 60% of children are born out of wedlock in Sweden.

For instance, I didn't suddenly jump from the homosexuality topic to talk about how 60% of children are born out of wedlock in Sweden.

Do you think Swedes would be embarrassed by that statistic?

See, now there's another example.

A comparatively large percentage of americans are fat.

That's a fact - but, in recognising that, am I a bigot or an asshole? I mean, I might be for other reasons (obviously, PJ's super test already proved that) - but what about this reason?

Personally, I have nothing against fat people - and I used to be one myself. But isn't it pretty objective to state that fat people, in general, are less physically attractive to the majority and that they're in more danger of suffering from health related diseases than people of average weight, all other things being equal?

I suspect that some people in this thread are confusing recognising something, with having a problem with that which you recognise. In fact, I'm almost certain that's the very core of the conflict in this debate.

Now, facts about homosexuals are certainly not as clear - but to deny there are certain difficulties faced BECAUSE of that sexual orientation is not necessarily the best reaction.

I won't get into the subject on obesity in this thread as it would derail it more than it have already, but there's really two ways to face a problem after you discovered that people due to their nature have difficulties getting the best our of their lives in the current system. You can either blame the system, or you can blame the individual. In the case of obesity it would be possible by the system do far more when it comes to stopping people before they go far. We can introduce fitness into our culture, like Asian countries. We could introduce "the McDonalds of healthy foods". Greater options for people who live fast and busy lives but who would still like to eat healthy stuff that doesn't taste paper. We could put taxes on exploiting "tastiness" as a way to sell unhealthy food, put greater pressure on companies that made a business about making people addicted etc. But you can also put demand on the person itself to go the extra bit and actually try to get better.

This isn't really the case with homosexuals, who really cannot change. Asking a homosexual to "adapt" is as useless as asking female women to never get pregnant, or ask lefthanded to get used to writing with the right hand. In that case, it's society that needs to accept nature, rather than advocating it as a problem. The sooner the problem is accepted as it is, and worked around, it's no longer a problem. There's really no reason why homosexuals wouldn't be able to contribute just as much as a heterosexual to society, including raising adopted children for example.

Why is that?

I'm not being cute, I'm genuinely curious. I mean, I know there's a social stigma associated with it in some more traditional cultures, but if the stigma isn't present (such as in Scandinavia and the rest of North-Western Europe), what's there to be embarrassed about?

I certainly couldn't care less about such statistics. However, I'm not from Sweden, but Norway should be close enough..

At any rate, thank you mods for moving this discussion, it was hardly "game news" anymore.

I think most countries would be.....

Few individuals in western Europe would rise an eyebrow, especially not the Nordic countries. In fact, even suggesting that as an "moral" issue, or something to be ashamed of, would be met with either laughter or disgust.

I'm not being cute, I'm genuinely curious. I mean, I know there's a social stigma associated with it in some more traditional cultures, but if the stigma isn't present (such as in Scandinavia and the rest of North-Western Europe), what's there to be embarrassed about?

You already answered your own question.

I wouldn't use the word "traditional", but "archaic" in that case. Sweden pretty much abolished that line of reasoning during the sexual revolution from the fifties forth. I might add that we are the country with the highest gender equality in the world.

Few individuals in western Europe would rise an eyebrow, especially not the Nordic countries. In fact, even suggesting that as an "moral" issue, or something to be ashamed of, would be met with either laughter or disgust.

So should someone who is overweight be ashamed or embarrassed?

OK, thanks. Looks like I may have corrected a misconception of yours, too. :)

So should someone who is overweight be ashamed or embarrassed?

I am neither ashamed nor embarrassed. Which reminds me that I have a porter waiting for me.

Well, it clearly upset *you*. What do you think?

I think you missed the point *Gasp*. The obesity part didn't upset me personally (I'm not fat), it was the lame attempt at tossing more insults towards Americans that JemyM seems so fond of doing.

it was the lame attempt at tossing more insults towards Americans that JemyM seems so fond of doing.

And this made you upset personally?

I dunno, I just didn't find it amusing or really that relevant to the discussion.
Substitute anything in that joke and I'm not sure what it adds:
Star wars discriminates against Canadians!

Canadian:
jar-jar_binks3.jpg

Star Wars Alien:
Arguing+Internet+Special+Olympics.jpg

Get it? Canadians are slow, ehhhhhh?

Completely politically incorrect, but made me laugh to tears.

Honestly, when I posted that Jabba image, it was more of a reply to Watto being discriminating against jews.

Back
Top Bottom