Venetica - Video Preview

yes, I did, it looks very strong in the story department, and weak in the gameplay department......

Well combat looks simple but at least the enemy seems to swarm/surround and I saw blocking. I want to try a demo.

I´m quite looking forward to this one.
Rest of the upcoming RPGs are more-or-less uncreative clones, this one doesn´t seem so.

Very nice! :)

I didn't watch Venetica at all. But this trailer is really convincing.

Well combat looks simple but at least the enemy seems to swarm/surround and I saw blocking. I want to try a demo.
The editor says combat starts simple but you can learn new maneuvers later. One of them is shown near the end.

I followed the news after I knew it was by the ANKH makers.

It made me curious how they would deliver an RPG.

It looks more interesting than I expected, yeah, this preview certainly raised my level of interest (even if I can't follow all the German); the parallels to Gothic in combat/combat-progression and exploration look likable, at the least.

The Simon Says lockpicking minigame looks a bit silly, but eh, why not.

Well *that* came out of left field. Interest level +5 (from 0 -- "vaguely aware that it exists.") Looks sort of like Gothic, only with a cuter protagonist, meatier sword sounds, and more interesting art direction. Nice!

Well, at least the editor said it's unintrusive.

I thought he was talking about the presentation, and how naturally it fits the game overall? Probably my bad German, there.

I can't say that I care for the art style at all... it looks like someone tried to Combine Gothic with Disney.

I can't say that I care for the art style at all... it looks like someone tried to Combine Gothic with Disney.

That's a good description. I hope you agree that it's well executed, so it's really a matter of opinion. I like it because it is something new for me, RPG-wise.

That's a good description. I hope you agree that it's well executed, so it's really a matter of opinion. I like it because it is something new for me, RPG-wise.

Well it's hard to tell how well executed is is just from watching one 4 minute video. I do hope the game turns out good for those that like that style though...

I never let that stuff stand in my way anymore ... do we have any word of an English release (i.e. NA)

I was thinking at first "what the hell is everyone so worked up about?", as the video rolled and it looked like a standard 3D red &blue (health&mana) hack and slash fest.

As the show progressed tho, there's clearly a big inventory available, looks like a fairly abundant number of spells and/or paths in the magic system, dialogue (while not looking too broad), and some semblance of more than a run-up-and-hack-away type of combat system. Some of the heaviest hitters of RPG-dom that we all know and love dont have much more than that. The art direction, in my opinion is a welcome change from the recent trends in modern game trends (ie brown and grey reality).
I like realism too, but you know like anything, to an extent... give it a rest already.

That was a pleasant surprise !

The vibe I was getting from this game (I might have seen another vid a few months
back), was a sort of "Prince of persia" like consolish hack n slasher. It seems there is
indeed a Gothic like feel to it, although I would have preferred a bit less cute in the art
direction...

Definately one to watch.

Back
Top Bottom