Is Turn Based RPG's Dead?

But the remake of FF IV is quite cool, the graphics style remind me Myst! And Golden Sun is an amazing RPG despite some very average points through the fights.

The FF IV remake is the RIGHT way to make a JRPG:

- Exciting story that's never predictable. It's also decently written and not convoluted like some JRPGs.

- Varied character personalities, and not all cookie-cutter.

- Fun combat system and some very tough battles, it's not typical "cakewalk-till-bossfight", there are some tough dungeons.

- Great presentation but the game doesn't rely on it (of course, due to system limits).

- Very fast pace… there's always something happening in the plot to push you forward and the story is interesting enough to keep you playing. In a lot of JRPGs you reach a point where you're just about on autopilot and the "dungeons" are some randomly placed areas with tons of low level enemies where you simply kill time. Not so here.

I think if you've been a PC RPG gamer for a long time, playing a JRPG will feel like a definite step back. And of course if you've been a JRPGer for ages, playing something like Arcanum will possibly bore you to tears… and possibly baffle you, lol.

But I've been playing both since the 80s and each appeals to me in a different way.

And you really can't lump EVERY title together. There are a handful of fantastic RPGs in both camps, a bunch of good ones, a ton of mediocre ones, and many bad ones.

Oh and I will take Turn Based and Real Time With Pause over Real Time action any day.

I think if you've been a PC RPG gamer for a long time, playing a JRPG will feel like a definite step back. And of course if you've been a JRPGer for ages, playing something like Arcanum will possibly bore you to tears… and possibly baffle you, lol.

I don't feel JRPG is a step back. I have hate love relationship towards them. I have a mission this christmas holidays to play through Tales of vesperia (love it), Lost odessy, Star Ocean and Last remnant (on PC).

I really like JRPG for one thing, youre seldom lost. Its on rail, and its alot of grinding but laying at my sofa playing it its really good. But i prefer turnbased combat in those games.

I feel going to JRPG is such a nice thing leaving the traditionally western one on hold for a while, and when i go back to them (the western ones) i enjoy them even more for different things.

Playing a JRPG is almost like playing a plattform game but the plattform game evolved with a story and a plot. Different levels, need different weapons, concetrating on certain skills. Its very different from risen, dragon age and the like.

But i can bash them if i am in the mood. :) Or not in the mood for JRPG style.

I don't feel JRPG is a step back. I have hate love relationship towards them. I have a mission this christmas holidays to play through Tales of vesperia (love it), Lost odessy, Star Ocean and Last remnant (on PC).

Well I did say if all you've played is PC RPGs then they may feel like a step back... obviously, you're already familiar with JRPGs.

I was hoping that Tales of Vesperia and Star Ocean would get ported to other platforms. Those are two games that I would like to try, but I have no desire to purchase an Xbox 360.

Indeed. The Tales series is one of the few JRPG series I like, but getting them on my system seems to be impossible. I've got to buy a Wii just for Tales of Symphonia 2. :p

For the record, Dragon Warrior and Phantasy Star are the other two series that caught my eye. I liked Shining in the Darkness as well, but that's not a series. And my Genesis died.

Does that include that? I have the PS2 Genesis Collection, but IIRC it didn't come with Shining in the Darkness. The majority of the newer Sonic collection is the same, which is why I haven't bought it.

Now I'll have to buy the new collection. At least then I'll have PSIV again, and III. At a glance, it also has a couple of games I'd never gotten on the old Genesis, but always wanted to try, plus my old favorite Sonic games. I wonder if Sonic & Knuckles can lock on with 2 and 3?

*EDIT*

Ordered, and I was wrong about it not being part of a series. I just missed out. No lock on, which sucks, but I guess I still have my old Sonic Mega Collection on my Gamecube.

Last edited:
Not sure what you mean about the "lock on" thing. Anyways, what really makes the Sonic Genesis collection great is that it includes the original Phantasy Star as an unlockable title. That alone makes it worth the price, PS1 was the best of the series. Shining Force is also an excellent Genesis classic.

If I ever get around to picking up a PS3 or 360, that will definitely be one of the first titles I'll buy.

You can still get refurbed launch models w/ PS2 B/C, Mike. My friend just got one for xmas.

By lock on JDR, I mean being able to play Sonic 3 together with Sonic & Knuckles as like the original Genesis games. Or Sonic 2 with Knuckles. This was a unique feature in this game, and only allowed for locking on to Sonic 2 or 3 in this manner. And only Sonic 3 truly integrated the two games into one. It was fun, and IMO the only real way to play Sonic 3. Basically, it was Sonic 3 complete.

I saw that it had PS1. I have it for my GBA, but the screen size killed me on it. I loved the thing, but RPGs are impossible to play on it for me. My eyes aren't 6 years old anymore! That just sweetened the deal for me, I never played PS1 much (because of the screen size) but what I did see interested me. I liked that PSII and III were part of the original collection just for that reason. Not to mention IV, my favorite of the series. I have too many games now, since I'm running BG again.

Mine was supposed to be a refurb'd BC-capable PS3. It even had a sticker on it saying so at gamestop, and the counter-guy stated it was. Got it home, and forgot to test it, and guess what? When I finally drop in GTA:VC, no dice. Whats even more ridiculous is that the later BC capable ones had software emulation only. They could release that, and sell it for $10, and a ton of people would pay for it. Though most would complain, because it should have never been removed from the system in the first place.

I almost sold my PS3 because of that, but kept it due to Ghostbusters and Batman: Arkham Asylum. AA2 is coming soon, and Mega Man 10, so I have reason to keep it.

Once you play more of the original Phantasy Star, I'd almost guarantee that it will become your favorite game in the series. All the PS games were good (PSIII not so much), but none of the sequels quite had the scope of the original. It still makes me sick to know that Japan exclusively got a graphically updated PS2 port.

Yes, the 'Shining' games are a series, but they are only loosely connected to each other.

Yeah, I noticed that after I posted the original post. I even corrected myself on that. I just missed out, if they're as good as I remember Shining in the Darkness.

The first game usually is the best in the series; it gets harder and harder to make a sequel that improves upon an already good design without becoming stale, and write a story that links together without being a rehash. I guess I'll find out soon enough. It shipped today.

Once you play more of the original Phantasy Star, I'd almost guarantee that it will become your favorite game in the series. All the PS games were good (PSIII not so much), but none of the sequels quite had the scope of the original. It still makes me sick to know that Japan exclusively got a graphically updated PS2 port.

PS was definitely ahead of its time!

I still love PS 4 - didn't have the scope of the first but I loved the graphical style, the music, and the combat system.

Saying that TB is obsolete is like saying that there's no point in chess since we have football and other next-gen sports.

On a personal level I see no point in chess either.
I do not watch football but I can see the cultural relevance.

On a personal level I see no point in chess either.
I do not watch football but I can see the cultural relevance.

Am I misreading this or are you implying that one of the oldest games in the world has no cultural relevance?

Back
Top Bottom