RPGWatch - 2009 Game of the Year Voting

Heh . . . my memory of that thread is that you said that DA was a step down from BG in a lot of ways, threw out a lot of areas which were different from BG to DA but never actually substantiated why they made for a superior game and then eventually claimed that you were only ever talking about things that were different not things that were better . . . :p.

You have a very selective memory then. :)

I never claimed one game was "superior" to another, I was talking about things that, imo, weren't a step forward. You made an attempt at debating those things while admitting it had been a Decade since you've even played BG.

Really? Seems to me that you had no idea what I was referring to. :)

See - my memory isn't too bad, maybe these things keep happening because you choose to play games and rewrite history rather than actually ... y'know, answering questions?

Instead of answering every supposition with 'not yet, try again', you could actually answer the question ...

See - my memory isn't too bad, maybe these things keep happening because you choose to play games and rewrite history rather than actually … y'know, answering questions?

Instead of answering every supposition with 'not yet, try again', you could actually answer the question …

Are you serious? Maybe you should go look at that thread, because you were pretty much agreeing with me back then.

I'm not sure if this is another case of selective memory, or if yours really is that poor. Maybe you should double check to see if you know wtf you're talking about before you respond next time. I think this discussion has run its course though.

Are you serious? Maybe you should go look at that thread, because you were pretty much agreeing with me back then.

I will now ask for the FOURTH TIME - please, please please stop the nebulous non-answers and tell what "THAT THREAD" is you are referring to? I just paged through 10 pages of your posts and found nothing.

I will now ask for the FOURTH TIME - please, please please stop the nebulous non-answers and tell what "THAT THREAD" is you are referring to? I just paged through 10 pages of your posts and found nothing.

Wait…. You were just agreeing with another poster about that thread a minute ago, and now you're saying that you don't even know which thread it was?? I have to say, that's pretty pathetic. He was referring to the 'Is DA a spiritual successor to BG' thread.

*Edit* I'm done talking about this, we've derailed the thread long enough. Start a separate thread if it's that important. :)

Last edited:
Wait…. You were just agreeing with another poster about that thread a minute ago, and now you're saying that you don't even know which thread it was??
Actually, no I didn't do that - I was merely reflecting on the possibility of events transpiring that way, since it has significant historical precedent and without a direct answer I was left to wonder.

I have to say, that's pretty pathetic.
That was what I was thinking as well ...

He was referring to the 'Is DA a spiritual successor to BG' thread.
THANKS! Yes, we did largely agree on many things. But again, what triggered all of this was you making a blanket statement that DA was dumbed down and inferior in every way except for graphics, which is not really what was said in the other thread.

OK, saw your edit that you're done. Me too.

Actually, no I didn't do that - I was merely reflecting on the possibility of events transpiring that way, since it has significant historical precedent and without a direct answer I was left to wonder..

Which events? I'm just curious. Do you mean the way you love to drag on inane discussions in your ever so obvious quest to boost your post count?

Nah, I think you got caught flip-flopping yet again, and now you're trying your hardest to save face. I'm actually starting to feel a bit embarrassed for you at this point. :)

Do you mean the way you love to drag on inane discussions in your ever so obvious quest to boost your post count?

This would have been done long ago if you had a clue about acting like a reasonable adult who can admit their faults and answer questions. I like to complete a discussion, and you make replies with just enough to invite me to continue along as if you might actually provide the requested context. This is a repeated phenomenon - and not just with me.

I'm actually starting to feel a bit embarrassed for you at this point. :)

Actually I was avoiding bringing up the fact that I am not the only one who has called you on your rather obvious lack of maturity ... it really occurred to me today that dealing with you doesn't trigger the response I have when engaging an adult, but rather the immature kids on the handheld gaming forums ... which is why I don't frequent them anymore. The signal to noise is just too low. Heck, I have better discourse with the middle school kids I coach,

This would have been done long ago if you had a clue about acting like a reasonable adult who can admit their faults and answer questions. I like to complete a discussion, and you make replies with just enough to invite me to continue along as if you might actually provide the requested context. This is a repeated phenomenon - and not just with me.

It really sounds like you believe what you're saying.

The problem is that I saw where this was heading, and tried to end it, not once (#91), not twice (#94), not 3 times (#104), but 4 times! (#106) and yet you insisted on dragging it on. I even suggested starting a different thread so you would stop derailing this one. What's really sad is that you would try to put this on me when those posts are right here for everyone to see. :-/

it really occurred to me today that dealing with you doesn't trigger the response I have when engaging an adult

You mean like when someone tries 4 times to end an argument, and the other person pretends not to notice? :)

I'm sorry, but now you're only being a hypocrite, and it's not the first time. Not only that, but it seems you feel the need to stoop to petty insults now as well.

Last edited:
ENOUGH!!!! Drop this, or the thread will have to be closed!!

You have a very selective memory then. :)

I never claimed one game was "superior" to another, I was talking about things that, imo, weren't a step forward. You made an attempt at debating those things while admitting it had been a Decade since you've even played BG.

Apologies Corwin for a further post when you'd asked it to be dropped, but just had a quick look at the thread to see how selective my memory actually is, and I stand by my summary.

Your original words (last post on this page were "It does improve on many things, but it also takes a step backwards in others." You later (much, much later on the last page of that thread) said "Well I'm not even claiming the additional races/classes made it "better".

I don't think it's me (or Mike) with the selective memory.

Last edited:
Interestingly, quite a few players of the official Drakensang forums prefer Drakensang 2 - as far as they have played the demo - over Dragon Age.

Their main arguments are:

- simply the world's athmosphere - creating a good immersion
- the game shows its developers'm love for it, the way the in-game world looks like and "breathes life"

I haven't played Dragon Age, so I can't comment on this.

This time around its gotta be either Dragon Age or Risen. Both were really fun and deep rpg games. I had wonderfull time playing them. So its hard as nails to decide which one deserves the honour.. Nonetheless I think DAO is a better game overall and it has more depth and replay value to offer than Risen. So I voted Dragon Age. Well done Bioware and not bad from pb either. :)

Interestingly, quite a few players of the official Drakensang forums prefer Drakensang 2 - as far as they have played the demo - over Dragon Age.

Alrik, I can't even tell you how hopeful this makes me for Draken2. I know Drakensang didn't have the same production values as DA:O but to me it just felt like it had more "love" built into it and for me at least, it carried through to my final impression of the game.

Drakensang was in my Top 3 for last year with DA and Avernum 6 for those very reasons.

Drakensang 2 will be clearly better. 80% less walking, better storytelling and full voice-overs alone improve it quite a bit.

Drakensang 2 will be clearly better. 80% less walking, better storytelling and full voice-overs alone improve it quite a bit.

Less walking will be nice. Sometimes auto-travel breaks immersion but Drakensang's walking got so long at times it was immersion breaking itself.

I wasn't bothered by the no voice-overs. I thought the writing was a little disjointed, bad translation maybe, to the point I was actually confused by the story line a few times but I didn't miss the VOs. I find if there are subtitles I skip the 2nd half of every speech anyway as I read much faster than the actors talk.

Still if they have the budget it is a welcome improvement, good voice actors can help set the tone of the dialog. Perhaps that's why I was so disengaged from the writing and didn't even realize it.

Your original words (last post on this page were "It does improve on many things, but it also takes a step backwards in others." You later (much, much later on the last page of that thread) said "Well I'm not even claiming the additional races/classes made it "better".

I don't think it's me (or Mike) with the selective memory.

Benedict,

Seriously, did you even look at your post? The second quote has nothing to do with the first. It's an epic fail on your part, but I'd be happy to continue the discussion in another thread. Just shoot me a pm if you're interested. :)

Back
Top Bottom