Games Similar to King's Bounty?

Thrasher

Wheeee!
Looking for a more in this genre (turn-based tactical battles on a grid with action points, etc...)

Obviously Armored Princess is a good choice, but are there others that have better gameplay in your opinion?

Have you played Ascension to the Throne? Not as good, but still worth a go IMO, I think it was an earlier game by the same authors as KB. There was a thread about it a while back I think.

Along slightly different lines, I thoroughly enjoyed the Age of Wonders series, that had a fun "turn based battlefield" and strategic map.

Along slightly different lines, I thoroughly enjoyed the Age of Wonders series, that had a fun "turn based battlefield" and strategic map.
Still have the beautiful soundtrack on my harddisk. They used nifty MODs back then.

How do we get 5 posts deep without mention of the Heroes of Might and Magic series? Spawn of the original King's Bounty game? Shame on y'all. ;)

There's a pack out there that has all the HoMM series, but it's very pricey. I think HoMM3 is the best of the series. HoMM2 is quite good. I never got around to buying HoMM5 (the newest), but it's supposed to be good as well. HoMM1 would be missing too many features that make the later games better and HoMM4 was a major disappointment.

Yeah, I don't find resource management very fun, but I think I'll look at HoMM 2, 3, and 5. :)

It looks like Age of Wonders has resource management (or at least base building). Or am I mistaken?

Ascension to the Throne looks similar to KB, too.

Thanks all for your suggestions! :)

Looking for a more in this genre (turn-based tactical battles on a grid with action points, etc…)

Obviously Armored Princess is a good choice, but are there others that have better gameplay in your opinion?

If you have an Xbox or a PS2 you can try Gladius, turn based tactical at its best. Sadly, console gamers are definitely not into turn based so it didn't sell well even though it's my favorite game in the console side.

The original King's Bounty, the predecessor to HoMM, is similar (in a way). It's really old though.

Also, Age of Wonders is pretty decent. I enjoyed the whole series quite a lot.

I just loved Age of Wonders Shadow Magic. For some reason, I didn't find the resource management that bad. I still can't get my brain wrapped around the HoMM stuff :)

If it's primarily the battles and units you're interesting in Thrasher, you might sample Fantasy Wars and Elven Legacy. they're tough, turn-based, fantasy strategy, but play is in campaigns and scenarios rather than free-roaming battles and quests. No resource management except gold, which you get for winning. HoMM is much more like King's Bounty, especially III and V. but you do have to build towns and castles. I never could get into Age of Wonders—mostly interface issues. I may have to try yet one more time.

I own HoMM II-V and still can't figure out how to get past the hump of killing the first hero that crosses my path :D Ok, I can fight and win but then poof, another pops up before I repopulate and I hang my head in shame :biggrin:

As you can tell, I refuse to give up. I keep buying the darn games because I hope one day to master/limp through it hehe.

On a general fantasy strategy note has anyone tried the Fall from Heaven mod for Civ4?

Saw mention of it on the Elemental forums and it looks really good, I might order civ4 just to give it a go.

Oh - and I gather that gog has signed a deal that will mean they can re-release Master of Magic :) Very excited about that, it'll keep me ticking over till Elemental comes out hopefully.

I own HoMM II-V and still can't figure out how to get past the hump of killing the first hero that crosses my path :D Ok, I can fight and win but then poof, another pops up before I repopulate and I hang my head in shame :biggrin:

As you can tell, I refuse to give up. I keep buying the darn games because I hope one day to master/limp through it hehe.

The usual trick I use for HoMM games is:
- Start by building the first 'money' expansion in town first day (since money is added daily). After that, build a unit builder each day up to day 6, then on day 7 build the fortress type expansion (that adds # of all units you'll be able to recruit on day 8).
- Buy a second hero as soon as possible, transfer all his units except 1 of the fastest one to your main hero, and use this 2nd hero to gather resources, and the main hero to battle.
That's pretty much it to start, the rest is just tactics and depends on each map.

Now you guys are making me want to play HoMM. :)

I've collected the entire series, but have never finished any of them.

JDR13, tell me about it...magerette had me ready to fire up Fantasy Wars and now...one of the HoMM's :) I've been sick and am between games and can't make up my mind what to play. Oh yeah, NWN2 is waiting but the sun is out and I can't quite bring myself to head to the basement :)

@magerette

Those look like excellent suggestions. Whew, Fantasy Wars is quite expensive bought new at online retailers; looks like ebay material.

HoMM 3 and 5: There must be a million different packagings of these, some having both 3 and 5 in one product, some with expansions, and some without. If I want to get all the expansions, and I want ALL the paper documents PRINTED: manuals, posters/maps, etc.. for both 3 and 5, which packages would you recommend?

Back
Top Bottom