Need new rpg to play

P

purpleblob

Now that I've finished ME2, I've ran out of RPG to play again. While I really enjoyed ME2, I have no intention to replay it (at least for now). So I need some recommendation.

As many of you already know, I love party based game with good story and hopefully good NPC interactions.

Games I loved: BG2, ME2, DAO.

Games I thought are ok: IWD2, NWN1&2, Diablo, PS:T, Oblivion, Morrowind, BG1

Games I hated: Arcanum, Jade Empire, The Witcher

Starting to get interested in Drakensang. It's a party based, 3rd person RPG, is it not? Can anyone give me more information? Like, where can I get it, is it stable (hopefully, not a bug-fest), is there solid storyline and good NPC interaction (if there's NPC interactions), what's combat like etc.

Why not just check out our Drak forum where you'll find the answers to all your questions? I think you might enjoy it. Check out my review here at the Watch as well. :)

Why not just check out our Drak forum where you'll find the answers to all your questions? I think you might enjoy it. Check out my review here at the Watch as well. :)

Or ask on the 'dex.
icon6.gif

Check out MotB, PST, Fallout, Arcanum, Bloodlines, Gothic, Deus Ex.

Start from Deus Ex if you want another FPS/RPG like ME. Go with Fallout and then Arcanum if you want something kinda similar to BG2 (though not very similar). Or start with Planescape Torment if you want dialogue-heavy game. If you want something atmospheric with great dialogues (especially dubbing!) Bloodlines will be perfect to start with. If you feel like playing in another generic fantasy world: Gothic is great. I'd leave MotB for later, since you hate NWN series but believe me - MotB is different.

As many of you already know, I love party based game with good story and hopefully good NPC interactions.

I am working on it.... but be patient :D

Or ask on the 'dex.
icon6.gif

Check out MotB, PST, Fallout, Arcanum, Bloodlines, Gothic, Deus Ex.

Start from Deus Ex if you want another FPS/RPG like ME. Go with Fallout and then Arcanum if you want something kinda similar to BG2 (though not very similar). Or start with Planescape Torment if you want dialogue-heavy game. If you want something atmospheric with great dialogues (especially dubbing!) Bloodlines will be perfect to start with. If you feel like playing in another generic fantasy world: Gothic is great. I'd leave MotB for later, since you hate NWN series but believe me - MotB is different.

Eh, I hated Arcanum and NWN2 including MotB.... Arcanum was just too hard to get into. I would really enjoy MotB if camera wasn't so laggy and horrible on my PC... and eh... if I'm less of fail with 3.5 edition combat.

Already played PS:T :)

Might give a try with FO3 or Bloodlines. Is there good bug fix/patch out there for Bloodline tho? I heard it's a bug-fest (like all Troika games). Only concern I have with FO3 is that it may be too graphics intensive on my PC. Oblivion crashes on me so often I gave up playing it.

Errr, what kind of PC are we talking about, here?

Going back further in time, how about Wizardry 8? Oh wait - that's getting very hard to find. Might have to wait for GOG to pick up the SirTech games.

The Bloodlines game has patches. I played it and no bugs for me. Fun game.

Might & Magic 6-8 are all pretty solid, but they're quite old by now. Since you enjoyed Morrowind and Oblivion, Risen might be worth taking a look at (or the Gothics, tho Risen is not a bad place to start).

I can't really think of any party based RPGs beyond the ones mentioned here (well I can, but they're from the stone age of computer gaming).

Play Bloodlines with wesp's unofficial patch plus version

I'd really recommend Drakensang. It's basically DA:O with better locations, combat and classes. You don't get to chit chat with your party members though, apart from certain moments.

I warn you though, the first 2-3 hours are a bit dull but after that it's the only game that reminded me so much of Baldur's Gate 2.

Might give a try with FO3 or Bloodlines. Is there good bug fix/patch out there for Bloodline tho? I heard it's a bug-fest (like all Troika games). Only concern I have with FO3 is that it may be too graphics intensive on my PC. Oblivion crashes on me so often I gave up playing it.
I can't guarantee you anything of course, but FO3 is significantly better optimized than Oblivion when it comes to system crashes. On top of that, there are also several addons released that quelch possible crashes incase you'd have them.

Find Wizardry 8.

Also, I noticed you mentioned Icewind Dale 2 but not 1.

Icewind Dale was a MUCH better game. It has a much tighter pace and the battles seemed more balanced overall, the 2 things I think IWD 2 dropped the ball with (although some minor things were improved from IWD). I found IWD 2 dull and tedious. Never even finished it.

Oh and definitely pick up NWN 2: Mask Of The Betrayer.

I wouldn't say IWD is better than IWD2, it boils down to personal preference. I enjoyed them about equally myself, but a lot of people really liked the extra races that were available in IWD2, as well as the 3.0 ruleset. Both of them were great though…

Oh... and a +1 for the recommendations of VTM: Bloodlines and Wizardry 8. You can't go wrong with either of those games.

Oh… and a +1 for the recommendations of VTM: Bloodlines and Wizardry 8. You can't go wrong with either of those games.
Wizardry 8 only if you like combat...combat...combat ad nauseam. It's not mindless combat, quite the opposite: It's very tactical. Nevertheless, I find it exhausting.

Strangely enough, I didn't especially like either of the Icewind Dale games but for reasons I can no longer remember I did really like the Heart of Winter expansion. They were decent, but I didn't like they way they were structured - too much emphasis on dungeon crawling and combat, and not enough open exploration and towns. The storylines in both games were completely forgettable too.

This might be a stupid question, but…. did you play Mass Effect 1?

No :biggrin: In fact, I just picked it up at EB so I will install it and play it soon :lol:

I never bothered with IWD1 because of resolution. I managed to finish BG1 because there's Tutu available. Otherwise, I wouldn't have bothered with BG1 either >.<

I will give it a go with FO3 since my bf has a copy already…. and might give another try with MotB if I get bored enough. Also will try Bloodline and Drakensang.. do they sell hard copy of Drakensang at, say, EB? Or do I have to download it online?

Seems like I will be playing ME1 and FO3 first. Then later I will try Bloodline and Drakensang. I'm just not too keen on MotB because I already played it once (was about half way through) and wasn't having much fun with it. I don't exactly know why. It had everything I was looking for: party-based RPG with a decent story, good NPC interactions. But for some reason, I just didn't like it.

I'd really recommend Drakensang. It's basically DA:O with better locations, combat and classes. You don't get to chit chat with your party members though, apart from certain moments.
Lol I don't think everybody will agree this.

But the chit chat point is important. For players who enjoyed DAO, there's two main points you won't get in Drakensang:
  • Extensive chit chat in camp, Drakensang has some but you can't compare. If this was a major point of your DAO enjoyment then Drakensang could not fit your preferences.
  • There's no tactics programming in Drakensang so if that point was very important for you in DAO, Drakesang could disappoint you on this aspect.

Drakensang doesn't put focus that much on companions chit chat but have some with an approach more like BG1 plus some in camp but you can't compare with DAO on this point.

Its fight system is almost as good than DAO fight system, you won't have as many special spells and powers nor as original but more than enough and with a very good injury system adding a lot to the fights.

The fights design don't have the same polishing than in DAO. You'll get more giving you a feeling of fights a little repetitive, more than in DAO. But there's also plenty well designed fights like in DAO.

In general the area are better done than in DAO meaning the exploration is a bit better in general.

The writing is good enough but probably a bit less than in DAO that I consider only fairly good on this point of view, as most RPG but The Witcher, Fallout 1, and few JRPG.

JRPG... hey, The Last Remnant! Does a party of 18 characters work for you? ;) That's got a very different battle system. There's plenty to like and plenty to hate about that game. Check the reviews first for sure.

Its fight system is almost as good than DAO fight system, you won't have as many special spells and powers nor as original but more than enough and with a very good injury system adding a lot to the fights.

Aventuria is in principle a LOW magic world. Magic is relatively rare there, which sets it apart from almost every mainstream RPG.

There are quite a lot of P&P players who say that Drakensang has far TOO MUCH magic in it - magical items, they mean.

Back
Top Bottom