Might and Magic VII Character Classes

Click on the "always run" button in the control panel.

Thank God for dual-boot setups.

All of my issues with M&M VI were Windows 7 related it seems. I installed it on my seldom used WinXP partition, along with Grayface's patch, and everything is working the way it's supposed to now.

Grayface's patch wouldn't update the M&MVI config file correctly in Windows 7 for some reason. That's why I couldn't get mouselook to work. The music volume also works correctly for me now.

Now if I only had the time to really jump into this game. :)

You should be able to set AlwaysRun=1 in the ini file, and then you'll run by default.

Was mouselook enabled as soon as you installed the patch? I still can't get it to work in M&M VI. What OS are you using?

skavenhorde pointed out the BUG HUGE 'Always Run' button in the MM7 Control panel... that I failed to notice before. So that problem is solved.

I'm running Win7 32-Bit. Mouselook was NOT enabled after installing the patch, I had to set Mouselook=1 in the MM7.ini file for it to go into that mode.

So far, everything seems to be working great. I hear the music and I have no issues with slowdown when playing arcomage.

I'm using Win7 and it works. The only problems are Arcomage runs slowly and the music only runs once per map. Luckily I move from map to map with haste to complete all my old quests I forgot about.

Which version, 32 or 64 bit?

Regarding the music, if you want it to play continuously, you have to edit the config. In the ini file in your installation folder there should be a line that reads "MusicLoopsCount =1". Change 1 to 0 for continuous BGM.

@Corwin- hocus pocus is for pansies. Pointy sticks FTW!!!

@several- monks work pretty well if you're planning on going evil. Evil monks get master level locks-n-traps, which makes them a reasonable substitute for the thief. Expert level LnT will be extremely challenging, even with very high boosts from equipment, so I'd avoid going down that road unless you're feeling particularly uppity.

dte:
I'm using an archer who's got +15 bonus through items and has 9 in skill himself and he can disarm most traps already and when he can't my cleric just casts regeneration on everyone which makes everyone come back to full health within a few minutes with a few healing casts on top of it.
I don't think thieves are very useful if it's only for disarm traps in my opinion.

All: There seems to be a bug with expert spear, where the damage doesn't get added for some reason and I haven't found a way to fix this. This makes the archer a bit weaker in melee than it should be...

Did u manage to solve your problems ?

Nope... I even reinstalled Grayface's patch again, but no luck. The patch correctly places all the files in the directory, but the config file won't take the update for some reason. Not sure if this problem is unique to M&MVI, or if it has something to do with my Windows settings. I'm getting ready to install M&MVII+ Grayface patch to see if I have the same issue with that game.

It's not a big deal though.. just the inconvenience of having to reboot to my WinXP partition if I want to play it.

For some reason it looks better in WinXP for me anyways. In Win7 the game is letterboxed on my 24" LCD, with vertical black space on either side of the game. In WinXP it automatically scales to fit my entire screen, and still looks properly proportioned.

If you got the GOG.com version have a look at their forum and you can post there too, you might find people who had the same trouble.
Or even e-mail GOG.com. :)

Enjoy the game, you might lose a week or two of your life into it though, be forewarned.

Nope… I even reinstalled Grayface's patch again, but no luck. The patch correctly places all the files in the directory, but the config file won't take the update for some reason. Not sure if this problem is unique to M&MVI, or if it has something to do with my Windows settings. I'm getting ready to install M&MVII+ Grayface patch to see if I have the same issue with that game.
Try to install the game out of "program files" directory. When running Grayface patch - right mouse click - run as administrator

Try to install the game out of "program files" directory. When running Grayface patch - right mouse click - run as administrator

I had trouble getting the gray face patch to install (win7 32) until I temporarily disabled my anti virus - just FYI.

Thanks for all the tips, I finally got the patch to install with M&MVI. I reinstalled the game and the patch, and I set administrator in the compatibility tab in the M&M.exe.

I also installed M&MVII last night, and had no problems with that game at all. It seems GOG automatically sets that one to be ran as administrator.

Question- How do I change my settings in Windows 7 to allow the editing of config files in game folders? Anytime I try to edit something, it says "Access is denied" when I try to save the changes. I can get around this by moving the file to my desktop and editing it there and then moving it back, but it's very annoying.

Druids RULE!!

I completely share that enthusiasm :) . It's been a long time since I played the game but I seem to remember that some of the druid stuff (including the mastery quests) was tons of fun and the character class proved to be very versatile and useful. I think I went with a Paladin/Archer/Cleric/Druid party which was an awesome mix as far as I can remember. Highly recommended to throw a druid into the mix! :)

Thanks for all the tips, I finally got the patch to install with M&MVI. I reinstalled the game and the patch, and I set administrator in the compatibility tab in the M&M.exe.

I also installed M&MVII last night, and had no problems with that game at all. It seems GOG automatically sets that one to be ran as administrator.

Question- How do I change my settings in Windows 7 to allow the editing of config files in game folders? Anytime I try to edit something, it says "Access is denied" when I try to save the changes. I can get around this by moving the file to my desktop and editing it there and then moving it back, but it's very annoying.

I'm not sure, but I don't get that problem ... Are you sure you're on your admin account ?

In all honesty, the standard party of a Knight, Thief, Cleric and Sorcerer works out just fine, especially for someone playing it for the first time (or their first replay in a long time). There are various lists (gamefaq etc) that show what classes can get what - make sure you get as much utility as possible (repair, disable trap, alchemy, and so on).

Btw, when playing with the Grayface patch, there is quite a bit of tweaking you can do in some of his files. Music is one of them I think (use mp3 etc). It's been a while since I played MM6-8, so I don't remember the specifics.

Thank God for dual-boot setups.

All of my issues with M&M VI were Windows 7 related it seems. I installed it on my seldom used WinXP partition, along with Grayface's patch, and everything is working the way it's supposed to now.

Grayface's patch wouldn't update the M&MVI config file correctly in Windows 7 for some reason. That's why I couldn't get mouselook to work. The music volume also works correctly for me now.

Now if I only had the time to really jump into this game. :)

Dual boot systems can definitely be handy sometimes. I have Win Vista/XP on my system and I can't run Arx Fatalis on Vista, but when I boot the PC with XP it works like a charm. I'm even thinking of installing Windows 98 in Virtual PC for further compatibility issues, but unfortunately Virtual PC doesn't contain Direct3d.

Been messing around with M&MVI all morning with a party I created. Not sure if it's going to turn into a full playthrough right now, but I've got a few questions for you M&M veterans.

Keep in mind I'm playing VI, not VII. I didn't think these questions were worth creating a separate thread though…

First, how exactly is XP distributed between party members? After playing for awhile, I noticed that all my characters have slightly different XP totals. Is this related to class, stats, etc?

About Perception.. I know secret doors, etc. will turn red if someone in my party has high enough Perception to detect them, but is it still possible to use those things even if they're not detected? i.e. Can I open a secret door by clicking on that area if it's not detected?

What are generally considered the "must have" skills to start with? I already regret not having Identify or Disarm Trap in my party.

My only complaint is that there seems to be very little penalty for a party member getting killed. Only 20 gold per level to resurrect them, and completely restore hit and spell points?

Back
Top Bottom