NHL Playoffs 2011 edition

Lucky Day

Daywatch
In! I waited a year to start this thread.

At the start of the year my Canucks were picked as the favourites to win it all. Like every good Canucks fan, I had a good snicker at that. And, like every good CAnucks fan, even at last game we expected an earthquake to swallow that side of the ice.

I mean, we had to put up with this sort of thing for the last half season and we still came in first.

Yikes. OK, what's it going to be? 7 players over 30 in Detroit? Corey Perry's late surge keep on going? Nashville boring everyone to watch BAsketball? Bruins and Habs kill each other (can't pick a more storied matchup)?

Haven't looked up the matchups yet, but I'll be sticking to my policy of picking Canadian teams (other than Ottawa) over American teams, so it might well be Canucks all the way!! :)

Chicago is a very tough 8 seed you would have been better off with dallas. As a wings fan hopefully we'll see ya in the wcf. Wings in 7 of course.:biggrin:

Ha, you and Dte will end up crying in the corner when the Wings get pwned!! :D

Is it that time again already? Seems like just yesterday…

I actually like the Canucks to win it all. 1993… that's the last time a Canadian team won the Stanley Cup. I'd say they're due.

Of course I'll be rooting for The Wings though. :)

Haven't looked up the matchups yet, but I'll be sticking to my policy of picking Canadian teams (other than Ottawa) over American teams, so it might well be Canucks all the way!! :)

Then its just Vancouver and Montreal then. Fortunately, all this "Price for Hart" garbage has taken a back seat to Chara getting the players calling it a "stanchion" to the media instead of what they normally call it "the turnbuckle".

The revenge games was a 7-0 drubbing. that series is going to be remembered for years or quickly forgotten for being Anti-climactic and maybe a bore fest as Thomas will show why he's the better candidate.

--

The other revenge series almost didn't happen. If not for really, really stupid tie break rules the last spot was in Dallas' hands. I was cheering for them. They sucked against Vancouver whereas a depleted Chicago still gave my 'Nucks trouble.

Another side story is that for the first time all three California teams are in the playoffs in the same year,

So will someone post the match-ups ?

I'm really impressed by the Sedin sisters this year! Last year Henrik won and now danile… and henrik was what fourth this year? they must be the best twins ever by far.

But Vancouver they always fail at the play-offs….. it is the same every year. I guess they won't win this year either.

Last edited:

Hey, being an Australian you're only supposed to be interested in cricket, and weird football. And deadly snakes and spiders.

Says pibbur who wonders if he should feel bad about off-toping an off topic thread.

So will someone post the match-ups ?

I'm really impressed by the Sedin sisters this year! Last year Daniel won and now Henrik… and he was what fourth this year? they must be the best twins ever by far.

But Vancouver they always fail at the play-offs….. it is the same every year. I guess they won't win this year either.

Sedin sisters, huh? :lol:

While there might be a bit of truth in saying that Vancouver always fails come playoff time, they've also never had a team this good or with this much depth in their entire history (although they sure made a memorable run in '94 with Pavel Bure and Co.)

This year's playoffs seem pretty wide-open to me, and I personally don't view any of the teams in either conference as "can't-miss" picks to win it all. This should make for some very entertaining playoffs. I'd love for the Sabres to win it all, but I sincerely doubt they have the size or depth to pull off a major upset against a physical team like Philadelphia or Boston.

Eastern Conference Match-ups:

Washington - NY Rangers
Philadelphia - Buffalo
Boston - Montreal (Original Six!!)
Pittsburgh - Tampa Bay

Western Conference Match-ups:

Vancouver - Chicago
San Jose - Los Angeles
Detroit - Phoenix
Anaheim - Nashville

OK, my first set of picks will be:
Wash, Buff, Mont, Pitt
Van, SJ, Det, Ana.

Picking some upsets, eh Corwin? :) I certainly think that Buffalo has a lot of heart, so they might pull it off despite being a bit over-matched by Philly's size and depth. They have a huge advantage in net with Ryan Miller, so that might once again be Philly's Achilles' heal (seriously, will they ever find a consistent goalie?). As for Montreal, they certainly know how to pull off an upset or two, as evidenced by last year's run to the conference finals, so I'm not going to overlook them.

The Rangers are a bit intriguing... on paper (and sometimes on the ice), they just don't seem like a very good team at all, yet they somehow find ways to win. I wouldn't go as far as predicting that they'll defeat Washington, but I wouldn't be shocked if they end up winning the series, either.

Yeah, the Eastern conference is ripe for upsets and I wouldn't be surprised if NY beat Wash either. I've always liked Buff (I grew up in TO) and I HATE Phil almost as much as Ottawa. :)

I also hate Philly. I think my hatred for them started with Eric Lindros, as he always just seemed like a spoiled brat, and from there I just hate how dirty/cheap they play. I guess they do match the city they play in ;) (just kidding, if anyone here is from Philly. Please don't find where I live and throw batteries at me or boo me at my work :)).

I've always kind of wondered though: Why the hate for Ottawa? A lot of hockey fans dislike the Senators, but I've never really understood why (aside from Toronto fans, of course - provincial rivalry and all)

I've been a Leaf fan since early childhood!! I remember watching their last Cup victory. :)

We need to get the contest going again. What are the rules and what's this year's special prize?

Actually, it hurts to pick the Wings, but STUPID I'm not!! :) I'd be stunned if they lose in the first round.

Back
Top Bottom