KoA: Reckoning - Demo Available, Steam Preorders Open

It was ok. im sure it will be fun. It feels like console to me and is probably best played with controller. It felt like a zelda the way the maps and art design.

Hrm. Can you elaborate?

In my experience Enclave is an arcade game compared to Divinity II. I ask because I'm not really interested in it if it tends toward Enclave over DKS.

I'm not sure as well...it didn't feel that way at all to me. The first area was pretty closed in but once you got out of the tower it opened up...it feels like an action rpg.

I would say it's much like war of the north in gameplay. It has more quest and npc though.

and you can't kill NPCs.

You can kill NPCs, but for quest givers you will have to complete the quest(s) first. Before that they are flagged as "essential" (to steal Oblivion/Skyrim term).

Seemed a lot like DA to me. The time limit and no saving were horrible decisions though, I just did the escape part and then quit. I didn't care for the lame flashing everytime I was in combat, kinda reminded me of kiddy games from the 80's/90's. Still will be buying it, the quests did seems well done as well as being clear and concise.

-Carn

I attacked a guard you can't really fight them they take you to jail where you can either sleep or escape. IF you try to attack an npc and a skull appears you press a button to enter aggressive mode then you can fight them.

The demo is the beginning of the game (tutorial dungeon) + 45 minutes of gameplay after that. Once you hit a certain area on the map it activates the 45 minute time limit. And there's no saving in the demo.

Time limit and no saving? Yuck. :( Please clarify.

The demo section appears to effectively be the first hour of the full game. Character creation/tutorial takes roughly 15 minutes and then you are given 45 minutes afterwards before you have to either quit or start with a new character.

Once you get outside after character creation and the tutorial section (which reminded me of how it is done in Elder Scrolls games) you will see a pop-up message shortly afterwards that informs you you are limited to 45 more minutes. Someone else mentioned that this doesn't include time spent in conversation or cutscene so your actual remaining gameplay time might be longer. Not sure if it includes inventory screen time but my total before I hit the limit was actually 108 minutes according to Steam. So I think that time spent in menus with the game paused doesn't count either.

You also can not save your game. The only progress that saves is whether or not you completed the tutorial section. Once complete you can start new characters who will begin right after that point. Your 45 minute time limit is started again for each character you create - that is even once you hit 45 minutes you can try other characters.

Very nice. So it's not an Origin exclusive thingamajig afterall. This is going to be the first game I pay full price for since Starcraft II. Hopefully it won't be as disappointing.

It still requires an origin account, but it's on steam also. As far as I know.

It still requires an origin account, but it's on steam also. As far as I know.

The demo at least did require signing up for an EA account but did not require Origin installation if you were using Steam. Whether or not the additional requirement of running Origin will be added in the Steam distributed version of the game - I don't know. All the information I had seen so far seemed to be from before it was announce it would be available on Steam at all.

Correction:
Thanks to JDR13 for the correction. Simply clicking "x" will allow you to proceed without linking to or registering an EA account when prompted. If you want to get the Mass-Effect tie-in items (not sure if they look as stupid and out of place as the Dragon Age tie in items from ME2) then you probably don't want to skip this step. As JDR13 pointed out though, you can skip it if you want to which is an important correction and something many people were probably not aware of (myself included.)

Last edited:
So the limitations are just in the demo and not the full game? I hope save anywhere/anytime are in the full game.

Under 'controls', "F5" and "F6" were listed as quicksave and quickload respectively - so yeah probably don't have to worry about that in the final game.

I'm a bit concerned about getting the game on Steam and being locked out of future DLC if EA pulls this title in the future.

For example, do people who bought DA2 on Steam have to download again and re-install the game on Origin in order to access DLC? I have no interest in the DA2 DLC, but from what I gather, it is not available from Steam.

I'm finally downloading it; today I'll post my impressions about the demo too.
I knew that many of you did the comparison with Ego Draconis, dunno why :D the only thing that I'm concerned with is Origin: just like Chocula stated, if there will be interesting expansions, I hope to not be locked out 'cause I bought it from Steam.
Anyway, I'm still curious to try it...

Fun for what it is. I guess Fable-on-steroids-meets-WoW would be my inadequate comparison.

It's low-poly, brighty-coloured fairy land, which isn't my personal preference, but I rather the liked the environments all in all. It certainly feels made for consoles but the PC UI is…adequate (taking into account full key re-mapping in the full version)…but full of nested menus that could have been oh-so-much better using a real PC design.

I quite like the combat - fluid and responsive, though the camera sucks. It takes a bit to get extra combos and power-ups that take the combat past the button-mashing in the tutorial but I think it has promise in an arcade-y sense.

Simulationists should stay away - they have focused on arcade "fun" over reality.

Once you get out in the open, it has some large areas connected by corridors. I'd say it's not a true open-world game like Skyrim but it isn't very different from, say, Dragon Knight Saga where you have large connected areas. It has an open-ish feel without being completely open.

Enjoyed swimming and finding hidden items, though they are "hot-spot" based. Still, a bit of exploration discovery. Picking locks, blacksmithing, alchemy etc look like they'll add some depth to the arcade action. Bows are disappointing - a bit like DKS with the lame auto-aim rather than Skyrim's drawing-back-a-real-bow. Skill trees look OK.

I was most disappointed with the quests. They were standard fare - very much "get this" or "kill that" - not that many RPGs do better but I hoped Rolston and Savatore might make them feel more deep and organic than "go find Elvana who is lost in the woods to the north".

So, fun, bright, arcade-y, nice combat. Not realistic or simulationy.

Had a few minor glitches but they did say the demo code was forked a few months back. It's a bit silly to make a demo that isn't up to scratch so take that as you will.

Back
Top Bottom