Last game you finished, tell us about it

Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn + Throne of Bhaal

Shadows of Amn

In line with my post on Baldur’s Gate 1 I would argue that the best place to begin describing BG2 is by comparing its main city with its predecessor’s. The feature running throughout that comparison would be the move of focus from plentiful trivial and generally self-contained bits to more fleshed out and detailed content in incredible amounts. The length of the main game, if one wants to do all the side content is really remarkable, by the end of it I had clocked in over 90 hours. What’s remarkable about the length is that doesn't come from grinding or pointless traveling/exploring with minutes pilling up into hours due to inefficient distances but instead actual, real and almost tangible content delivered via generally good quests.

On the face of it, BG2 has less companions than BG1 did, only a handful of wilderness areas compared to the dozens of BG1 and its main city, Athkatla, has less and smaller areas than the city of Baldur’s Gate with usually less than a third of the buildings, stores and inns of BG1. This downsizing however created a significant content density which does wonders for both the quality of it and the overall flow of the game.

Simply put, the generic locations, quest lines and NPCs of BG1 have been replaced by more elaborate and inspired content that has much more character. Aside from the obviously more detailed visuals which indicate how much more time was spent on each of the hand drawn locations, both the urban and the wild landscapes don’t look like nondescript fantasy but are rather fairly memorable and at plenty of times approach Planescape Torment-like quality. In general, area design is one of the most improved aspects of the sequel. The beginning dungeon is a great example of that difference. A possible caveat to that is that the areas of the city feel rather (visually) too distinct from each other and could have largely been unconnected hubs.

The high point of the game is by some distance chapter 2 which rather smartly places the player in the middle of a huge city with the simple requirement to gather some money and information. This lead, in my case, to a very lengthy and very open chapter which was both good and long enough to dwarf plenty of normal games. Luckily, at that point of history, Bioware hadn’t developed their “visit 4 locations” formula and coupled with the relative lack of a pressing main quest allows for a degree of openness which rivals the almost sandbox BG1 without having the same lack of depth.

Both the out-of-city areas and the various dungeons that Athkatla is peppered with are always part of side quests with background stories which provide a much needed motivation for the player to explore them. There’s a great variety of quests element with the game having a breadth of puzzle (loved Bodhi’s Maze), fighting and talking which struck a nice balance that I haven’t quite encountered in later Bioware games. The fact that all these quests weren’t part of the main quest allowed for a more modular isolated non-restricted design and decent amounts of reactivity, granted the game is no Fallout but the choices and consequences of almost all those quests is up to par with all later Bioware games (with just DA:O exhibiting deeper C&C) something I consider quite a feat given the sheer number of those.

A sizable chunk of that content represents companion and stronghold quests. While I found the later to be not worth the buzz the nostalgia-focused Kickstarters created around them, and the single NWN2 “stronghold” had certainly more appeal to me, the fact that each class got their own set of extra little quests is impressive and they on overall are a nice quantitative addition of focused content. Regarding the companion quests, I found them largely unremarkable but given how limited other NPC interaction was they were a welcome way to develop the NPCs if not make me interested in them. As with the strongholds, I find the fact that every single of the 16 companions had his own quest line, which usually had some reactivity, quite impressive.

While the gameplay itself didn’t feel significantly changed or evolved, courtesy of my playing a much altered BG1 I imagine, I can with confidence state that the difficulty was consistently higher. While by itself that fact is appreciated unfortunately in the vast majority of occasions it was exhibited in the context of mage duels. With the game being played at much higher DnD levels than BG1 more involved casters are to be expected and while admittedly SoA does feature one of the richest magical systems I’ve played I felt the duels were a step back in terms of actual encounter design. With their copious contingencies the major fights involving casters all too often felt scripted and resulted in a nearly instantaneous death on the first occurrence swiftly followed by a reload, crazy amounts of buffing and an attempt to solved the magical puzzle the devs had set for you. I’d argue that in comparison to those puzzles the numbers + damage type game that the BG1 encounters were was more tactical (in terms of spatial tactic) and just better. Despite that a number of battles, like the Dragons, Demons or the Underdark hordes were great.

In terms of story and the overall fleshing out of themes, characters and the driving force of the player the game is also a tremendous improvement upon its predecessor. SoA is arguably more about Irenicus than your own character and it comes out better due to that. Apart from not using the modularity-driven “ go to x places” gimmick the main quest is more in line with BW’s later games in terms of linearity, set piece visiting and fleshing out, easily manifested by the increased word count involved in the major events, although still obviously less than the trademark games of Black Isle or Obsidian.

The main story about Irenicus as a plotting villain whose main characteristic is being a power seeking exile is good, not necessarily something to write home about, but as it avoids the done to death “chosen one has to save the world” cliché and maintains the mystery for a large part of the game all while being competently executed it warrants a place in the same group as other RPG epics but above the likes of Dragon Age: Origins or Neverwinter Nights 2 OC.

In regard to companions I must admit I was more or less underwhelmed. As I mentioned the game deserves plaudits for providing a quest for every one of them but given the lack of other means of interaction (which PS:T for example had) and the very essence of a lot of them, they never get really interesting. The main exception was probably Yushimo and that was due to his main quest involvement. There’s always the conflict between a characters utility in terms of game mechanics and how much the player is interested in having him alongside (e.g. I can’t imagine not having Dak’kon) and in BG2’s case the utility was always the dominant factor. The series’ mascot, Minsc (and Boo), was somewhere between inane and extremely annoying and by the time ToB gave me the chance to replace him I had to mute his retarded ramblings, interestingly he wasn’t as much of an annoyance in BG1 but that could be because his “look at me” gimmick only got old after 70 hrs. Imoen, despite her involvement in the main plot, was surprisingly insignificant and the game (and I) largely ignored her until ToB’s ending stories. Jaheira and Keldorn were probably the ones resembling some sort of depth however in the first case I was hugely put off by the game forcing a romance with Jaheira unto me less than a week after Khalid died. Suffice to say I didn’t pursue any of the other available romances (had a soul to save) although I did get the chance to see that Aerie and Natalie were dreadful NPCs (and a recurring BW character). Korgan was fun but extremely one-dimensional. One huge plus for the system and probably the high point of BG2 companions, as far as I’m concerned, was the terrible Anomen getting chopped to pieces by Keldorn. Not sure why real, bloody inner party conflict hasn’t been pursued much in subsequent games.

With respect to the game’s world and tone while the game had nothing quite like the Iron Crisis I appreciated how amidst the boatload of content it doesn’t limit itself to the dull, conventional world of humans but touches upon the matters of other planes (Githyanki vs Illithid) or more important events (Underdark). BG2 is also considerably more (grim)dark than BG1, for good or worse, but keeps with the usual goofy-dramatic nature of BW’s games. One major grumble of mine is the Easter Eggs like the inclusion of Planescape items in an almost balance breaking shop in the starting area, courtesy apparently of a proto-DLC.

For what it’s worth, I found the music to be largely average and when it comes to voice-overs Irenicus was the only notable one, though still enough to drive the plot.

EE content: Regarding the Enhanced Edition, I think they did a good job on overall with mainly updating the game. I certainly appreciated both the zoom and the quickloot functions. While I can obviously live without them, looting and inventory management can be a major tedium and anything that streamlines the process is very welcome, zooming on the other hand is useful practically all the time as it allows for both more functional gameplay and enjoying the detailed visuals. I think PS:T in particular, with its tremendous backgrounds, would benefit from that feature. On the matter of the EE content, while I didn’t really spend too much time with any of the EE companions, I did one of their questlines and found, to my surprise, that it was the least polished section of the game. Both the journal entries and the scripts were problematic and one particular NPC felt very modern in her being little more than interactive information centre, dressed up with nice branched but inconsequential dialog.

To sum up, while I don’t quite feel the game truly excels at any of the areas I mainly care about, it does most things, namely urban questing, at a consistently high quality level which coupled with the sheer magnitude of it result in a remarkable package. When it’s all said and done I consider SoA to be as good as MotB (although I consider MotB to have had much more potential).

Throne of Bhaal

The production realities or any schedule pressures related to the Throne of Bhaal are unknown to me but it’s obvious the designers continued on the “less secondary things, more focus” path and took it up to 11. While not necessarily a bad thing the fact that the actual point of focus, the unfolding of the story, is worse and the padding out of the game through mainly combat encounters leads to a noticeable decrease in quality. What ultimately redeems the experience is the well-executed and a satisfying ending that provides a proper closure to a 200 hour saga.

Saying that ToB is small, in comparison to SoA, as any expansion should be would be fair but also awfully misleading. While the actual length of a single playthrough is about equivalent to that of a modern game (20-25hours) the actual impressions the game gives off are those of extreme downsizing and streamlining.

Production value-wise the game hardly suffers in comparison to SoA. The maps and areas are more detailed and consistently more memorable than those of the main game, the music is improved and serves both dramatic and epic action sequences better and all main plot-related characters now have their own Artwork and voiced dialogue. Those flashy bits however are counterweighted by most areas being much smaller (60-75%), plenty of recycling of maps (striking since there was virtually none in SoA) and most importantly an absolute minimum number of thing to do or NPCs to talk to aside from the various “kill X” main quest threads. ToB plays like an on-rails, combat focused, high level D&D romp littered with filler/trash mobs and tiny hubs that rather arbitrarily extend the length. It’s mostly move to new area, fight guard mobs, fight underdeveloped bad guy, rinse (=watch plot unveiling), repeat. The Deep Roads of Dragon Age, an area which gets a lot of bad rep, is really not that different to ToB.

The only sidedish the game provides is Watcher’s Keep a long and fairly elaborate dungeon which however lacks the atmosphere and backstory of Durlag’s Tower and suffers from an uneven difficulty curve. After having to give up on level 4 due to some demons towards the end of SoA I returned in the middle of ToB and went through the rest of the content in one sitting with the dungeon’s boss (Gorgomon) going down in a single largely unbuffed fight.

The difficulty level of ToB was once again somewhat raised and was, in my opinion, at least moderately difficult without utilizing the mage duel mechanics quite as much. Draconis in particular was probably the toughest fight I’ve fought in a long while and I still don’t quite know how I beat him. One slight sidenote is that crafting was a great improvement upon SoA and both games were generally much better than the mess that NWN2 featured.

The focal centre and justification of the expansion, wrapping up the Bhaalspawn story, leaves a lot to be desired and only really pays off after the ToB-specific storyline is out of the way. Beginning with an exceptionally lazy premise, being thrown out of the elven city you saved 5 minutes ago and were welcome to stay forever, after saving the world for the 2nd time, the hero is sent out to find himself and figure out his role in an apocalyptic prophecy. In spite of a mild twist toward the end, the events taking place at the forefront are mostly predictable and don’t stray too far away from your average on-rail save the world plot. It really pales in comparison to the down-to-earth mystery of SoA despite somewhat ironically rendering the whole Irenicus deal a distraction.

The dramatic premise that keeps the story going is the self-determination of Gorion’s Ward in the context of the ridiculous number of newly revealed Bhaalspawn and his role in the self-fulfilling prophecy of Bhaal’s return. That side of the plot is handled rather awkwardly through divine interventions at predesignated plot points in which Solar, a divinity, assumes the literal role of the plot-revealer (there has to be some specific plot device for that) and Bioware’s implementation of a morality system. In the end it all ends with a showdown against a horribly voice-acted villain in a rather game-y but easy boss fight which leads to the only main quest choice that matters in all BG games.

I have to admit that after saving the world and killing the most dangerous foe an annoying amount of times throughout the saga, in most ToB cases I was either amused or annoyed when a new challenge was conceived out of thin air (it happened numerous times). Due to that, when presented with the final choice, I opted for what I guess is considered the evil choice (embrace divinity). I only later learned that there is a good alternative to it, the one which you're presented with depends on your discussions with Solar. I have to note that I was a bit surprised by being locked out of the “good” ending since my approach was always more neutral/practical rather than the stereotypical goody two shoes or psycho mass murderer binary approaches however both during the moment and in retrospect I can’t say I mind too much since I found it was written to be and actually was a thoroughly satisfying closure, one which was much more effective than the endings of NWN2 or DA:O . I found the companion related bits of the ending also praiseworthy, at points even PS:T-like, especially in view of how the companions were as insignificant in ToB as they were in BG1.

____

In the end, I feel the entire saga was better than its constituent parts and despite all of my criticisms of the games, I consider the Bhaalspawn story one of the best epics I've encountered in the medium. On an individual basis BG1 or ToB aren't all that special, although I can recognise BG1 having some historical/technological significance. For what it’s worth: BG2>TotSC>BG1>ToB.

I didn’t pursue any of the other available romances (had a soul to save) although I did get the chance to see that Aerie and Natalie were dreadful NPCs (and a recurring BW character). Korgan was fun but extremely one-dimensional. One huge plus for the system and probably the high point of BG2 companions, as far as I’m concerned, was the terrible Anomen getting chopped to pieces by Keldorn. Not sure why real, bloody inner party conflict hasn’t been pursued much in subsequent games.

Very detailed review, I quite enjoyed reading it :) I can really tell you didn't enjoy NPC interactions in BG2 because you've got Nalia's name wrong :p Also, I found Anomen really likeable (same goes with Keldorn). Just wondering how you've managed to get Keldorn kill Anomen. My guess is you've made Anomen fail in his knighthood - I think when he is chaotic neutral, he gets in argument with Keldorn a lot.

Very detailed review, I quite enjoyed reading it :) I can really tell you didn't enjoy NPC interactions in BG2 because you've got Nalia's name wrong :p Also, I found Anomen really likeable (same goes with Keldorn). Just wondering how you've managed to get Keldorn kill Anomen. My guess is you've made Anomen fail in his knighthood - I think when he is chaotic neutral, he gets in argument with Keldorn a lot.

Thanks for reading it. My biggest wall or text so far.

You're right about Anomen, I didn't foresee the effect my advice in his fathers quest would have on his knighthood (not that I didn't enjoy his tantrum) and he eventually attacked Keldorn. Great bit of C&C.

Don't think I'm a minority in disliking Anomen though, Minsc maybe but Anomen is up there with Carth Onasi and Qara as NPCs that are memorable for all the wrong reasons.

I finished Alpha Protocol. Well, that was engaging. Really liked the way the story and non-player character interactions varied depending on the player choices. Dug collecting intellgence, and figuring out how to sway others (and even enemies) to support you. A little unrealistic at times, but a fun challenge. Lots of possibilities to check out, but sadly not going to try them out because the crappy checkpoint save system makes it too tedious. I only did one path (save protocol, destroy halbech, kill shaheed path).

I enjoyed the perk and character development system. Increasing skills really makes a significant difference with new capabilities gained, rather than just numeric advantages. Very neat system.

I played a stealth - pistol - technical aptitude build. Ghosting around was a lot of fun with silent non-lethal takedowns being my modus operandi where possible. Tranquilizer chainshots on the bosses (and annoying crowds) made all encounters easy especially with brillance.

Starting Blackguards, and not sure what to make of it. Love the TDE ruleset and grid based combat (ala King's Bounty: TL). But the user interface needs a little work (can't scroll through some of the descriptions), fire wall spell won't cast, and it seems very linear (just finished the graveyard) with no exploration, just combat arenas.

For Blackguards descriptions you need to first click on the spell or skill you want the the description will stay in the info box and you can mouse over and scroll the description.

Fire wall spell? There isn't one I assume you mean the spell that makes walls. It does work a little weird. You just right click anywhere then select the spell then you left click over the hexes where you want the wall.

No explorations, just combat areas. Yes that's the game it works though, IMO.

Thanks! But you are bit late. Over 2 weeks! Figured it out on my own weeks ago. ;)

Finished Blackguards. I give it 9/10. Wonderful fun except for a couple of glitches and 1 unfathomable combat puzzle (well until I googled…).

Now playing Path of Exile since it was already installed and downloading Batman: Arkham City GOTY is taking 2 days or more…

Really liking Path of Exile. Did chapter one with a Witch. Now playing chapter 1 with a Duelest using all the goodies saved by the Witch. The storage chest is HUGE - 5 large pages. Wonderful design choice there!

My only complaint is that the map states are only stored temporarily on the server. So if you take a coffee break, the game will decide you are no longer interested in the map you only had only partially explored and resets it while you safely waited in town. Now that I know how it works (maps mysteriously resetting really pissed me off for a while there) I only take breaks when I reach a new waypoint at the beginning of a map, or if I have cleared (or nearly cleared) a waypoint map where I can let my PC idle unattended on the map so it doesn't reset. Also, only do this when neighbor maps haven't been explored yet and I don't care about previously explored maps.

Thanks! But you are bit late. Over 2 weeks! Figured it out on my own weeks ago. ;)

Finished Blackguards. I give it 9/10. Wonderful fun except for a couple of glitches and 1 unfathomable combat puzzle (well until I googled…).

Glad I could help.:lol:

I've got to stop restarting. I have 79 hours according to steam and I'm only in the 3rd chapter again.

M&M10 is done with. :)
Excellent writeup. My playthrough for review has gotten derailed by real life, but it sounds like I've got a lot of fun to look forward to.

Even if you've never played dungeon crawlers before, trust me, you won't believe how good it is.
It could be better in several aspects, but if we'll be real, and we will, they had to leave some space for improvements deliberately so M&M11 gets better scores. ;)

Glad I could help.:lol:

I've got to stop restarting. I have 79 hours according to steam and I'm only in the 3rd chapter again.

I have that same problem, sakichop. Start-over-itis has me near 100 hours in Might and Magic 10, yet I haven't cracked Chapter 3 yet.

Icewind Dale + Heart of Winter/Trial of the Luremaster with the NPC mod project by Kulyok

I've never finished IWD on it's own, so I can't really comment on IWD by itself. From what I can guess, there wasn't much story to it, more of a vague guidance of where to go to look for a certain things and see how things go from there. I really liked some areas though like Severed Hands and areas in expansions. I felt expansion has more solid story, really loved dragon exorcism and the haunted castle with cynical undead bard.

The mod really adds excellent touch to it with some of your traveling companions giving you more insight or opinion about things happening around you due to their background. Nella is a warrior from Kuldahar and Korin is a ranger who lives in Eastheaven, originally hailing from Evereska. Their attachment and memories of places like Kuldahar and Severed Hands really made me care for both of them and the quest that I am currently undertaking.

There's plenty of interactions between yourself with NPCs but more amount of NPC-NPC interaction. Because the same author developed all 5 modded NPCs, there was more consistency throughout the personalities/dialogues (I find modded NPC-vanilla NPC interactions are somewhat flawed as everyone has slight different interpretation of each chracters). I really loved how Kulyok wrapped up the whole story before the final battle at the Eastheaven - this is important because unlike BG2, there was no proper epilogue for individual characters at the end in original game, she decided to give 2 different chances to "hint" what happened to them after their journey. At the beginning of journey at the bar, the companions decided to briefly introduce themselves to others. If you decide to rest at the same place before proceeding into the Temple for the final battle, the NPCs decide to introduce themselves again, as they are different to who they were at the beginning of the journey. It kind of works like an epilogue, and I found it really touching. If you decide to skip this, you get a second chance for an epilogue right before you fight the final boss - each NPC provide prediction of what is instore for another NPC after the final battle. There's also romance options, and I enjoyed it a lot as it really adds to character development.

All in all, I really enjoyed it and I plan to play it again sometime - not right now though, I'm really exhausted by the amount of battle the game threw at me. Definitely worthwhile playing with the mod, I heartily recommend it. With the mod, now this is my 2nd favourite game of all time.... :)

Interesting, I'm playing without the mod (and I doubt I'll get around installing it since I like my backlog clearing attempts to be fairly vanilla) I'm somewhere around Chapter 2 and I'm extremely close to giving it up. Take away the RTwP combat and all you're left is a pretty Diablo clone in the Forgotten Realms with good music. Or at least that's what the impression I've gotten so far.

With the mod, now this is my 2nd favourite game of all time…. :)
I assume you must simply really like IE gameplay?

Interesting, I'm playing without the mod (and I doubt I'll get around installing it since I like my backlog clearing attempts to be fairly vanilla) I'm somewhere around Chapter 2 and I'm extremely close to giving it up. Take away the RTwP combat and all you're left is a pretty Diablo clone in the Forgotten Realms with good music. Or at least that's what the impression I've gotten so far.

Chapter 2 = Dragon's Eye? Yeah I doubt I would ever finished the game without the mod, I've given up in Chapter 1 multiple times when playing vanilla. If you are willing to finish it, try it with mod!

I assume you must simply really like IE gameplay?

That depends. I don't like all IE games. I certainly like the engine, but I didn't really enjoy PS:T nor IWD1&2. I just like BG2 type of game with party members + plenty of interactions. I really loved ME series (maybe not ME3 but you know). I also enjoyed DA & NWN up to certain extent as well. Hope that answers your question :p

Take away the RTwP combat and all you're left is a pretty Diablo clone in the Forgotten Realms with good music. Or at least that's what the impression I've gotten so far.

To be honest, that's not a very fair or accurate comparison. Diablo doesn't have half the tactics or variety of encounters you'll get in Icewind Dale. Also, of all the IE games, I've always thought that Icewind Dale comes the closest to mirroring the GoldBox experience, something that one couldn't claim about Diablo. ;) This is especially evident in your full control over party construction, which supports a reasonable array of character options. It's a nice contrast to the protagonist driven system from Baldur's Gate. (Nicely detailed review incidentally; good to read)
Persist if you can; at least for the atmosphere and combat scenarios, although I can understand if that's not quite enough given you've just come off the back of a cinematic BG2 extravaganza. :)

I actually started an Icewind Dale playthrough featuring a party of clerics last month, as I always wanted to try an unusual thematic party. ;)

Chapter 2 = Dragon's Eye? Yeah I doubt I would ever finished the game without the mod, I've given up in Chapter 1 multiple times when playing vanilla. If you are willing to finish it, try it with mod!

That depends. I don't like all IE games. I certainly like the engine, but I didn't really enjoy PS:T nor IWD1&2. I just like BG2 type of game with party members + plenty of interactions. I really loved ME series (maybe not ME3 but you know). I also enjoyed DA & NWN up to certain extent as well. Hope that answers your question :p
Bit surprised you would not include PS:T as it's the one I'd go for quality interactions (MotB too). If you enjoyed IWD maybe TOEE is more your cup of tea?

To be honest, that's not a very fair or accurate comparison. Diablo doesn't have half the tactics or variety of encounters you'll get in Icewind Dale. Also, of all the IE games, I've always thought that Icewind Dale comes the closest to mirroring the GoldBox experience, something that one couldn't claim about Diablo. ;) This is especially evident in your full control over party construction, which supports a reasonable array of character options. It's a nice contrast to the protagonist driven system from Baldur's Gate. (Nicely detailed review incidentally; good to read)
Persist if you can; at least for the atmosphere and combat scenarios, although I can understand if that's not quite enough given you've just come off the back of a cinematic BG2 extravaganza. :)
To be honest I'm pretty indifferent to all the encounters, tactics and party/character development if they're solely manifested through combat and there's nothing aside from it. I'll give this another couple of sessions, hopefully hit ch3 and shift-delete put it aside if it remains the same.

Bit surprised you would not include PS:T as it's the one I'd go for quality interactions (MotB too). If you enjoyed IWD maybe TOEE is more your cup of tea?

I did finish PS:T once and I did not enjoy it because I just couldn't put myself into TNO's shoes. No matter how much I tried, I couldn't really relate to TNO nor could I like/care for any of my travelling NPCs. I loved the universe and lores behind it but it got really tedious with the massive amount of dialogues trying to push me to feel certain way but I didn't (not sure if that makes sense...).

I tried MotB but never finished it due to frustrating engine and the death eater mechanics. Similar to PS:T, didn't really give a rats ass about my travelling companions either. Maybe too depressing genre for my liking? Will give it go again sometime though.

And I will pass on ToEE, not a big fan of Troika games... :)

Maybe it's the male zombie thing that some people have with Geralt or the hero from the Gothics? Then again TNO is just a blank slate. I guess I can understand not buying the plot for whatever reason.
Now imagining not liking/relating to any of the companions, especially in the context of Bioware companions, is a much tougher ask.

Last edited:
Maybe it's the male zombie thing that some people have with Geralt or the hero from the Gothics? Then again TNO is just a blank slate. I guess I can understand not buying the plot for whatever reason.
Now imagining not liking/relating to any of the companions, especially in the context of Bioware companions, is a lot more to ask.

Male zombie thing? I guess I can understand someone describing The Nameless Hero that way, but someone using that term for Geralt only makes me think that they never actually played those games.

As far as PS:T is concerned. I have no problem understanding why some people don't like it. The story is great, but the gameplay, and especially the combat, is boring compared to the other IE games. You also have to really like that setting. I enjoyed it, but it's my least favorite of the IE games by far.

Now imagining not liking/relating to any of the companions, especially in the context of Bioware companions, is a lot more to ask.

?? I'm not sure what you mean. I thought you don't really care about Bioware companions?? You mean it's a lot more to ask not liking Black Isle/Obsidian companions?

Male zombie thing? I guess I can understand someone describing The Nameless Hero that way, but someone using that term for Geralt only makes me think that they never actually played those games.
It's sort of the way people complain about the fact that the Witchers have a set protagonist vs the flexibility of created character, pretty sure crpgnut amongst other have put this as one of the hurdles of enjoying a story.
?? I'm not sure what you mean. I thought you don't really care about Bioware companions?? You mean it's a lot more to ask not liking Black Isle/Obsidian companions?
I just think that most of PST's cast is so vastly superior to the usual Biowarian companion that people who at least tolerate the latter would certainly appreciate what PST provides.

Well, I think it depends on taste but I felt PS:T companions come with way too complex story/philosophy of their own. The game's story itself is already quite complex, dark and serious theme and NPCs adding on top of that really killed it for me. Also, TNO views the world in male's perspective (apologies for being sexist?) - for example, I don't understand the whole romantic feelings between TNO and Fall-From-Grace or Annah.

I usually play games to enjoy my time, not to get depressed or think of life in serious way (I do that enough in real world :p)

Back
Top Bottom